U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 12:47 PM

627 posts, read 1,027,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Gent View Post
Hopefully never. Realistically speaking, it's important to note that not one state has ever chosen to accept gay marriage.
Maine, Maryland, and Washington say hello!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 01:01 PM

627 posts, read 1,027,953 times
Quote:
Yep. And let's be fair to all other groups too; incestuous tenancies (what if both individuals are say, over 50, and have no potential to reproduce -- who does it hurt?), polygamists, and pedophiles. Love is love right? There are no boundaries. You say so yourselves.
I'm not sure what you mean? Many pedophiles get married all the time.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:31 PM

136 posts, read 199,309 times
Morality is subjective. What one constitutes as moral, another individual might find immoral. To call me a bigot simply for holding a different view on morality than yourself on one given issue really shows how bigoted you are in your own thinking. There are a lot of political issues out there. If you cannot accept people who oppose your viewpoints without resorting to degrading their character, you're going to have serious problems in life.

No. I do not support gay marriage, and neither did 90% of this country 15-20 years ago. There are still millions upon millions of other Americans who hold my views, probably pretty close to half depending on who you're asking. Unlike you, I don't make moral judgments on what pop culture tells me I need to accept

Statistically speaking, the majority of people who now SUPPORT gay marriage, once opposed it. Odds are you were one of them.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:36 PM

3,970 posts, read 3,505,039 times
Quote:
Morality is subjective. What one constitutes as moral, another individual might find immoral. To call me a bigot simply for holding a different view on morality than yourself on one given issue really shows how bigoted you are in your own thinking. There are a lot of political issues out there. If you cannot accept people who oppose your viewpoints without resorting to degrading their character, you're going to have serious problems in life.

No. I do not support gay marriage, and neither did 90% of this country 15-20 years ago. There are still millions upon millions of other Americans who hold my views, probably pretty close to half depending on who you're asking. Unlike you, I don't make moral judgments on what pop culture tells me I need to accept

Statistically speaking, the majority of people who now SUPPORT gay marriage, once opposed it. Odds are you were one of them.
Yes but why do you care if two consenting adults want to marry and have tax benefits? It doesn't affect you.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:37 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,913,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
When do you believe ALL the southern states will remove their bans on gay marriage? Virginia, The Carolina's, Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, etc.
Hopefully never.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:40 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,913,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Yes but why do you care if two consenting adults want to marry and have tax benefits? It doesn't affect you.
You must be someone who has never worked with a gay boss who hates family values. It affects anyone who is Christian in their values. Haven't you figured out yet that gays hate Christians because we have a Bible that tells us the truth.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:45 PM

3,970 posts, read 3,505,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
You must be someone who has never worked with a gay boss who hates family values. It affects anyone who is Christian in their values. Haven't you figured out yet that gays hate Christians because we have a Bible that tells us the truth.
So I still don't understand how your gay boss who hates your family values, gets married and this hurts you? Does his/her marriage somehow make them take out that family hating aggression even more?

Old 07-31-2014, 01:46 PM

136 posts, read 199,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Well for one, it devalues the entire concept of marriage.

Secondly, I'd like to point out that you'd be hard-pressed to find another individual that is as bothered by the 'slippery slope' arguments than myself. I find them to be quite often illogical with little to no basis in reality. However, I'm going to use one in this particular instance because I think we're already seeing it play out. Once gay marriage becomes the accepted norm in society, gay rights advocates begin to extend their mission to further extremes and as a result, the United States begins to lose it's identity. The nation, like it or not, was very much founded on religious principles. Once you start degrading religious institutions, it will be followed by a firestorm of moral decline.

We're already starting to see polygamist advocates gaining momentum across the country (look it up, I'm not making things up -- support is rapidly rising). This is happening because we've opened the door for other groups to cry foul and search for 'change'.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:46 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,946,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
LOL! You are describing discrimination which NOBODY is advocating and Christians participate in all the time... NOT the act of two consenting adults signing a contract that doesn't concern you.

Just proves that you can't argue the issue at hand without obfuscating.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:49 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,946,011 times
Quote:
Well for one, it devalues the entire concept of marriage.
No it doesn't. At least, not in the minds of the majority... only in your mind. It doesn't have any legal or physical affect on your life, period.

Quote:
Secondly, I'd like to point out that you'd be hard-pressed to find another individual that is as bothered by the 'slippery slope' arguments. I find that quite often illogical with little to no basis in reality. However, I'm going to use one in this particular instance because I think we're already seeing it play out. Once gay marriage becomes the accepted norm in society, gay rights advocates begin to extend their mission to further extremes and as a result, the United States begins to lose it's identity. The nation, like it or not, was very much founded on religious principles. Once you start degrading religious institutions, it will be followed by a firestorm of moral decline.
I LOVE that you mention the slippery slope FALLACY and then use it to support your argument. You are openly using a fallacy because your argument falls apart otherwise, HA HA.

Quote:
We're already starting to see polygamist advocates gaining momentum across the country (look it up, I'm not making things up -- support is rapidly rising). This is happening because we've opened the door for other groups to cry foul and search for 'change'.
So freaking what? Consenting adults signing a contract that doesn't concern you or affect you... you are simply offended by it. Should we outlaw straight marriage if somebody gets offended by it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.