U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-31-2014, 02:07 PM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,945,443 times
Reputation: 1858

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Gent View Post
I never claimed it would devalue the benefits. It devalues the unique, special nature of marriage. Because yes, my heterosexual marriage is 100% superior to any homosexual "marriage" because mine was ordained by God.
LOL! So you are admitting that you can not show me any verifiable manner in which the value is removed, correct?

Are you saying that straight people of other religions, or lack thereof, shouldn't be allowed to marry? It is against your religion....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-31-2014, 02:10 PM
 
136 posts, read 199,266 times
Reputation: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
LOL! So you are admitting that you can not show me any verifiable manner in which the value is removed, correct?
Again with the mockery. Guess that's how liberals have been taught to argue rather than having respectful disagreements. Notice I have not laughed at you or belittled your position once throughout this debate.

The contract remains the same, but marriage is not about a contract. It's not about benefits. It's about a spiritual bond between a male and a female, one intended to be special and set apart from anything else. One in which man and woman become one flesh. The beauty of marriage is not it's 'benefits'...the thought of such never crossed my mind when I proposed to my girlfriend. I didn't say, 'gee, I want to get married so I can obtain all those benefits!'. No. I wanted to express my love to her and spend the rest of my life with her as one. It is a unique and spiritual bonding. Not a contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2014, 02:16 PM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,945,443 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Gent View Post
Again with the mockery. Guess that's how liberals have been taught to argue rather than having respectful disagreements. Notice I have not laughed at you or belittled your position once throughout this debate.
Derp. Not a liberal, not even close. Can you make any argument without stereotypes?

I didn't mock you either. If you can verify the devaluation. Do it.

Quote:
The contract remains the same, but marriage is not about a contract. It's not about benefits. It's about a spiritual bond between a male and a female, one intended to be special and set apart from anything else. One in which man and woman become one flesh. The beauty of marriage is not it's 'benefits'...the thought of such never crossed my mind when I proposed to my girlfriend. I didn't say, 'gee, I want to get married so I can obtain all those benefits!'. No. I wanted to express my love to her and spend the rest of my life with her as one. It is a unique and spiritual bonding. Not a contract.
That stuff CAN NOT be verified, and still, if your "bond" is reduced by other people expressing their love, it was a weak bond to begin with.

Marriage predates Christianity... it is NOT a bond under the Christian god, at least not primarily....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2014, 02:20 PM
 
136 posts, read 199,266 times
Reputation: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Marriage predates Christianity...
With all due respect, this is the dumbest comment I've ever seen. Okay, marriage predates the death of Christ on the cross. Because that was the founding of Christianity. However, God was very much present prior to the death of Christ. That's what the old testament was. The Jews were following the same God at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2014, 02:24 PM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,945,443 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Gent View Post
With all due respect, this is the dumbest comment I've ever seen. Okay, marriage predates the death of Christ on the cross. Because that was the founding of Christianity. However, God was very much present prior to the death of Christ. That's what the old testament was. The Jews were following the same God at the time.
With all due respect (which is very little), I think your argument against gay people using a certain word is the dumbest argument I have ever seen.

People were getting married, in ALL SORTS of religions long before any Christian used the word to describe their union... and now you say that a certain group of people using it weakens the spiritual bond between you and your wife.....

The other religions using the word doesn't weaken your relationship? The ones that are incompatible with your god? Atheists getting married doesn't weaken your relationship? Just gay people getting married?

That is a raw deal, that the actions of other people you have never met weakens the relationship with your wife.... if that is true, it should be gone soon because gay people get married every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2014, 02:26 PM
 
Location: Savannah GA
13,423 posts, read 16,991,244 times
Reputation: 9513
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
You must be someone who has never worked with a gay boss who hates family values. It affects anyone who is Christian in their values. Haven't you figured out yet that gays hate Christians because we have a Bible that tells us the truth.
Hold on there, sister. As a gay CHRISTIAN who knows many, many gay CHRISTIANS, your attitude isn't just offensive, it's wrong. What person -- gay, straight or otherwise -- "hates" family values? If it weren't for family "values," none of us would be here! And as I stated much earlier in this thread, many gay people (myself included) see the gay "marriage" movement for what it is and are not united behind the issue.

Now, please go ahead and tell me that I can't possibly be gay AND a Christian. But that would be very un-Christian of you, because even you must know that only the PERSON can know what's true in their heart. My relationship with Jesus is between me and Him. You have no say-so in the matter.

Last edited by Newsboy; 07-31-2014 at 02:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2014, 02:27 PM
 
136 posts, read 199,266 times
Reputation: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Hold on there, sister. As a gay CHRISTIAN who knows many gay CHRISTIANS, you're attitude isn't just offensive, it's wrong.
So you're a christian, yet you choose to disregard the actual written word of God. That makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2014, 02:43 PM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,945,443 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Gent View Post
So you're a christian, yet you choose to disregard the actual written word of God. That makes sense.
So you think it is ok to own slaves and beat them as long as they survive for a day or two...?

Quote:
20 And if a man smite his servant, or his maid, with a rod, and he die under his hand; he shall be surely punished.

21 Notwithstanding, if he continue a day or two, he shall not be punished: for he is his money.
It IS the written word of god.... I hope you have never shaven or gotten a hair-cut:

Quote:
Men aren't allowed to trim their beards or shave their heads (Leviticus 21:5)
Leviticus 25:44 tells Jews to enslave surrounding tribes

Exodus 21:7-10 says men can sell their daughters into slavery

Timothy 2:15 says only women who have children will be spared hell ... so only fertile women who bare children can be Christians, right?

Last edited by Xander_Crews; 07-31-2014 at 03:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2014, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Savannah GA
13,423 posts, read 16,991,244 times
Reputation: 9513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Gent View Post
So you're a christian, yet you choose to disregard the actual written word of God. That makes sense.
Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize I was talking with someone such as yourself you has lived a perfect, sinless life.

Let me repeat: The only person who knows what's in my heart is Jesus. Your religiosity can't take that away from me.
Attached Thumbnails
When do you believe ALL the southern states will remove their bans on gay marriage?-10367717_765469026824062_3450911642074242891_n.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2014, 03:14 PM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,945,443 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize I was talking with someone such as yourself you has lived a perfect, sinless life.

Let me repeat: The only person who knows what's in my heart is Jesus. Your religiosity can't take that away from me.
If you take the bible literally it never actually says "homosexual relationships are an abomination" IT DOES actually say that eating shrimp is an abomination.....

I am not gay, and I do not consider myself Christian, but I say more power to you man! Don't let people with bigoted views change your religious beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top