U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-31-2014, 06:31 PM
 
136 posts, read 199,309 times
Reputation: 175

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
You shouldn't be surprised because it's the conservative Christian influence over the South that's making those states the last holdouts in the debate. But as I said before, it's a moot point because sooner rather than later, the SCOTUS will rule that state laws banning same-sex marriage (or any kind of marriage, probably) are unconstitutional, just as they ruled that sodomy laws were unconstitutional.

And that will be that.

Next polarizing social issue, please?
I'm actually not from the south. Nice try though.

The south isn't 'the last holdout'. There are still plenty of states all across all regions of the United States where gay marriage is illegal. Only 19 of the 50 states currently allow gay marriage, and almost all of them have had it shoved down their throats by a judge simply repeating what is politically correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-31-2014, 06:40 PM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,946,011 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Gent View Post
I'm not digging a whole. You have comprehension issues. You are doing what liberals have done for years -- taking bits and pieces of my comments and ignoring the rest to create a firestorm.
Again, NOT a liberal. It is sad that you have to make crap up to support your argument... you know, because it is weak. I responded TO EVERY POINT, point by point... that isn't ignoring ANYTHING. Keep digging.

Quote:
I don't support gay marriage. No, I never said I was better than them. I never said Timothy wasn't in the new testament, I was referencing your point as a whole (as anyone with half a brain can observe).
Uh, no! You "took bits abd pieces of my comments and ignored the rest". Funny, huh?

You dismissed my whole post based on "I don't follow the old testament."


Quote:
I also never said that I don't believe the old testament. I believe every word of the old testament. I am no longer under those laws, because those laws were abolished by the death of Christ. That doesn't mean I don't believe them or that they served a purpose for the time in which they were given. Prior to the death of Christ, there was no forgiveness. We were judged based on merit. That is no longer the case. Already know your next point is going to be 'well if you're not judged based on merit, then why does it matter if your gay? YOUR FORGIVEN!'. Save me.
No, my point stays exactly the same. Why can you openly disobey the "written word of god" and then turn around a judge others?

Quote:
Stop nitpicking what I say and then proclaiming I'm 'digging a whole'. I'm more than content with what I have said to you in argument. I would repeat the exact same arguments back to you. You seem to be the only one concerned with 'winning' this debate.
Yeah judging by your performance, you have NO desire to win the debate, HA HA! I debunked all your arguments as silly and hypocritical and your only reply is "stop doing that", lol.

Quote:
Grow up.
Ad hominem... keep digging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2014, 07:39 PM
 
3,968 posts, read 3,505,039 times
Reputation: 6397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneal8 View Post
Strangely Democrats focus on attacking Republicans when they don't even have their own party members on point yet.
That's the whole point of using social issues for politics, it distracts people from the real problems. That's all they do is use issues like gay marriage as weapons against their opposition. They don't give a crap what goes on in their own ranks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2014, 10:55 PM
 
Location: Savannah GA
13,424 posts, read 16,994,819 times
Reputation: 9513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Gent View Post
I'm actually not from the south. Nice try though.

The south isn't 'the last holdout'. There are still plenty of states all across all regions of the United States where gay marriage is illegal. Only 19 of the 50 states currently allow gay marriage, and almost all of them have had it shoved down their throats by a judge simply repeating what is politically correct.
This thread is about SOUTHERN STATES.

Nice try, though.

But as I've stated before, I really think gay "marriage" is a pointless issue and a waste of time. So you're barking up the wrong tree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2014, 11:06 PM
 
Location: Salinas, CA
15,080 posts, read 4,812,511 times
Reputation: 8107
It is legal now in Virginia. The following eight southern states still have constitutional bans that have not been overturned: Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Florida. People can rationalize about various causes, reasons, excuses, and point fingers in various places.

These are the facts: Only 1 out of 19 states that have legalized it is in the South. Some people often even consider Virginia more mid-Atlantic now with so much of its population near DC (NOVA area). It is legal in every Northeast state and all other regions have more states that have legalized it than in the South. Progress will continue in other southern states and elsewhere. That is a very good thing IMO.

Last edited by chessgeek; 07-31-2014 at 11:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2014, 11:27 PM
 
Location: Jersey City
6,490 posts, read 16,178,435 times
Reputation: 5646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Gent View Post
Because marriage is a sacred bond between one man and one woman. You can hate the phrase all you want, but it's the truth.
Not really. If you want to get married in your place of worship and/or have your marriage performed/blessed by the clergy of your religion, then indeed you could say it is sacred. There's nothing sacred about a state-issued marriage certificate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2014, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
13,106 posts, read 13,514,630 times
Reputation: 5788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Yes, I'm the gay Uncle Tom!

Eventually (sooner rather than later) the Supreme Court will make it the law of the land and everybody will have to find something else to obsess over and talk about.
I'm not sure what you find so objectionable. This is clearly an important issue to a lot of people, and the only way to actually change the laws, not to mention the cultural views of it, is to keep raising the issue. You act as if a Supreme Court decision would just happen out of thin air. They don't accept cases that nobody brings up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2014, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
13,106 posts, read 13,514,630 times
Reputation: 5788
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
As a fellow gay Uncle Tom I concur

God forbid you don't want the focal point of your existence to revolve around your sexuality.
Bad gay man!! Support the rank and file and don't dare think for yourself!!
That's complete nonsense. It is completely dishonest to say that it's about a bunch of people who just want their existence to revolve around their sexuality rather than having the ability to be equal under the law, whether or not they choose to make their sexuality all-encompassing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2014, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
13,106 posts, read 13,514,630 times
Reputation: 5788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Yes, we are BAD gays ... VERY bad gays ... LOL!

I guess it's shocking to some that the gay "community" (ahem) isn't united on this issue.

What would they say if they knew some gay people actually vote republican and go to church on Sunday?
That they're just one more group of people who vote against their own interests. No surprise there. Most people do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2014, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
13,106 posts, read 13,514,630 times
Reputation: 5788
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Gent View Post
Well for one, it devalues the entire concept of marriage.
What is the "entire concept of marriage" exactly? And how does it devalue it? Be specific.

Quote:
Secondly, I'd like to point out that you'd be hard-pressed to find another
individual that is as bothered by the 'slippery slope' arguments than myself. I
find them to be quite often illogical with little to no basis in reality.
Kind of irrelevant when you're clearly engaging in that kind of argument.

Quote:
However, I'm going to use one in this particular instance because I think we're
already seeing it play out. Once gay marriage becomes the accepted norm in
society, gay rights advocates begin to extend their mission to further extremes
and as a result, the United States begins to lose it's identity. The nation,
like it or not, was very much founded on religious principles. Once you start
degrading religious institutions, it will be followed by a firestorm of moral
decline.
What "extremes" would gays want after marriage? Be specific.

No, it wasn't. The US is not a theocracy and was never intended to function as one, even culturally. There are hundreds, if not thousands of religions currently practiced in the US. Which one should be vaulted into governance and why?

Quote:
We're already starting to see polygamist advocates gaining momentum across the
country (look it up, I'm not making things up -- support is rapidly rising).
This is happening because we've opened the door for other groups to cry foul and
search for 'change'.
Really? Where are we seeing the rise of polygamy? And how is it related to gay people? They are entirely 2 separate issues. Are people incapable of judging the merits of two unrelated issues?

So you think it's awesome to discriminate because another group might want equality also? What kind of horrible logic is that? By that thinking, we never should've given women the right to vote or enacted the Civil Rights Act. Only straight white men deserve to be treated equally lest we encourage others to step out of line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top