Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 07:26 PM

5 posts, read 3,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Op, I don't know how you can totally avoid bugs, they are pretty much everywhere. There are bugs for every regions of the country. Don't let a little bug cause you to miss out on a good opportunity.
No I cannot but some places are terrible like the east coast.
My tradeoff is I am willing to take bad weather over less bugs. Maybe I go to Canada?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 07:32 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Los Angeles has IT and almost no bugs. Ants, maybe. In the enormous metro area that is LA, there are many nice affordable (guessing here, because your version of "affordable" is unspecified) areas with good schools. Just have to be willing to commute.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:47 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,500,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zackmax View Post
Hi folks,

I am looking for specific things, and want to make a move.

1. Minimal amount of bugs: I can take bad weather over bugs. I just hate bugs.
2. Close to a tech hub: I am in IT so I want to be close to tech jobs.
3. Affordable: at least considered average but not in "high" cost of living category
4. Low crime rate
5. Family friendly and Diverse: Above average school system and at least some diversity.

The town I was seriously looking into was Raleigh NC until I read the terrible bug and infestation problems there.

Thank you!
Fort Collins, Colorado or Boise, Idaho... only two I can think of that match all the criteria. Boise might not be the *most* diverse, but it isn't completely lacking diversity either.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:13 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zackmax View Post
No I cannot but some places are terrible like the east coast.
My tradeoff is I am willing to take bad weather over less bugs. Maybe I go to Canada?
Lol, I'm sure they have bugs in Canada.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I thought about suggesting Denver, but I feel that Fort Collins is cheaper than Denver proper or Boulder and offers more bang for the buck than suburban Denver. FC has a great downtown area that offers a lot to do.

The job market in Portland isn't the greatest. And though less expensive than Silicon Valley or Seattle, Portland still isn't exactly cheap. My brother used to live there. He loved it, but there're just too many people looking for the same few jobs. Now he's in New York City.

Portland, Oregon -- where young people go to retire.
Far more jobs in Denver than Ft. Collins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.