Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 05:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,360 times

Advertisements

As a foreigner I am curious as to why cities east of the Mississippi, such as Detroit, Chicago, Philadelphia, Baltimore, are more dangerous than those westward.

I always hear how safe Seattle, Portland, San Diego, Salt Lake City are but rarely hear of a really safe city in the east (aside from **some** New England cities).

Anyone care to elaborate?

P.S. I know cities in the west such as Oakland and Compton are dangerous but more cities on the west are safer than east according to stats

Sorry if I offend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 06:08 PM

51 posts, read 159,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Sew View Post
As a foreigner I am curious as to why cities east of the Mississippi, such as Detroit, Chicago, Philadelphia, Baltimore, are more dangerous than those westward.

I always hear how safe Seattle, Portland, San Diego, Salt Lake City are but rarely hear of a really safe city in the east (aside from **some** New England cities).

P.S. I know cities in the west such as Oakland and Compton are dangerous but more cities on the west are safer than east according to stats

Sorry if I offend
There are plenty of safe cities on the east, and there are a number of dangerous ones on the west. I think one reason there is a lot more crime out east is because there are way more people out there. Another reason is the demographics of cities you listed. Those cities have very high black populations, and unfortunately gang culture is more prevalent there.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:07 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,792,498 times
There is a correlation between crime rates and certain demographic factors such as age and race. This has more to do with crime than what region cities are located. The good news is(as hard as this is to believe) crime rates are down significantly just about everywhere in the U.S compared to their late 80s/early 90s peak.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:22 AM

27,254 posts, read 28,317,220 times
Quote:

It is not really accurate to say that eastern cities are unsafe. The truth is that the crime is highly concentrated in certain neighborhoods that are almost always low income. This skews the crime statistics.

In every city, there are affluent neighborhoods which are very safe. As long as you stick to those, there is nothing to worry about.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:41 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,563,243 times
Quote:

Sorry if I offend
Your title talks about safe "states" and then you talk about safe "cities" in the post. Which one is it? There really is no such thing as a state that is completely safe or unsafe throughout. States are big.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:44 AM

7,704 posts, read 12,543,156 times
Quote:
All those cities have one thing in common. High black populations. If you know anything about the AA community and neighborhood, they have alot of crime.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:04 AM

92,019 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
All those cities have one thing in common. High black populations. If you know anything about the AA community and neighborhood, they have alot of crime.
Even that will depend on the neighborhood, as those cities have solid to very nice mostly Black neighborhoods as well.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:18 AM

14,360 posts, read 16,866,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Even that will depend on the neighborhood, as those cities have solid to very nice mostly Black neighborhoods as well.
It is true though, from what I've seen, the percentage black correlates quite well with a city's violent crime rate. The main outlier on this is New York City, which has much lower crime than one would expect based upon its black population. This may be because a large proportion of the black population is not African-American, but black immigrants from the Caribbean, Africa, and Latin America.

The interesting thing is the same general trend doesn't seem to be true for rural areas. For example, Mississippi has the lowest black crime rate in the country, along with the most rural black population. Something about the intersection of African American culture and cities leads to higher crime, at least in aggregate, although when you look on a neighborhood level things can be much different, as you note.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:46 PM

506 posts, read 324,917 times
We have mountains and land here. Not cities.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:08 PM

7,053 posts, read 19,207,961 times
Western states are not safer than eastern states.

Maps On FBI's Uniform Crime Report - Business Insider
FBI — 2012
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.