U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 10:03 PM

13,420 posts, read 16,950,133 times

Advertisements

People down south are better looking, have more class and style, etc ... for what it's worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 10:15 PM

136 posts, read 198,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
LSU/SEC school tailgaiting videos show that it's not really that common. To say VERY common makes no sense.

I've been to a game at the U of Georgia, a game at Miss. St., and several at the U of Texas and didn't see a difference from the kids I see at games in the Midwest or northeast (in both regions I've been to dozens of games.)
I'm not nit picking and FYI when you watch those videos most of the people in it are alumni. Dressing extremely nice and in expensive 'frat' clothes is a somewhat modern phenomenon down south.

I go to an SEC School. Over half the guys will wear button downs and khakis to class every single day. Southerners invest a lot more money in clothes than those in the north and you never see kids wearing middle-school brands like Hollister and AC down south.

If you don't think those pictures I provided are normal southern SEC gameday attire, then you've never been to an SEC game. Period. Southerners are far more preppy at the University level and considering I actually go to school down here and lived in the North my whole life, I think my opinion has more validity than yours.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:18 PM

I'd like to also note that sorority and fraternity life is much, much bigger down south. The greek houses down here look like something Tiger Woods would live in. Because of the prevalent greek culture, which often asserts wealth, many southerns dress the part every single day. Greek life is nowhere near as big up North and thus you don't see nearly as many people dressing in such attire.

Google University of Alabama, Arkansas, or Georgia greek row sometime. Better yet, spend a Saturday night on an SEC Greek Row and you'll see almost everyone dressed to the nines.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:24 PM

1,582 posts, read 4,287,493 times
I think you're overstating the differences but agree that "look" of pastel colored polo shirts, khakis & deck shoes on guys....Southern Preppy? is definitely more prevalent in that part of the world- even much past college years.

But more than not, the looks in colleges across the country would be overall more similar (t-shirts, jeans and flip flops) than different.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneal8 View Post
Only the frat boys at southern colleges are always dressed up all the time. I think it is dorky to dress up for a football game myself.
Not true. Everyone does it. Nothing dorky about being classy.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
I went to Clemson University. No, not everybody does it. Only the frat boys. That isn't close to everybody.
Clemson isn't in the SEC and they don't even have greek houses. People at South Carolina are known for regarding Clemson as a 'redneck' school. It is not representative of most southern schools. Furthermore, I think college culture has changed a lot in recent years. Not sure when you graduated, but the south is very much embracing the southern style head-on.

Not trying to be rude, Clemson is a better academic school than most of the SEC (almost all except a couple), but they are probably one of the least preppy campuses I've been on in the entire south...and I've been on a lot.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:29 PM

Clemson also has a very high number of out-of state students coming from Pennsylvania and the east coast for it's top-ranked engineering programs. When you have more out of states students, you are going to showcase the southern culture less and less.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Ok, you are foolish. Clemson is by far the best public school in the state and there are Greek houses. It is a top engineering school in the country. Just because it is is a rural area doesn't mean it is redneck.
I know for a fact that if Clemson does have greek houses, they're not like most in the SEC. Many of the SEC greek homes look like plantations and have gorgeous interiors and furniture. Clemson does not have typical greek houses and if you deny that, you didn't go to Clemson. I know for a fact they don't have a greek row.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:33 PM

While it is true that the ACC has better academics as a whole, all of the SEC schools are all still ranked in the Top 10% of colleges in the United States. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Texas A&M all have some extremely competitive programs. Arkansas has world-class architecture and law schools too.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
I never seen Greek housing that looked like planations though. lol
Maybe you should get around the region more then..

Univ. of Alabama

Georgia

Oklahoma.

Arkansas Kappa Kappa Gamma

LSU

Ole Miss
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or