U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 12:21 AM

136 posts, read 199,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneal8 View Post
You don't seem like a guy who has a lot of friends.
Haha you got me. I made one post about it. You're the one that made this a firestorm, getting offended about people saying you dress well because that's too 'girly' for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 12:25 AM

I'd rather be your preconceived notion of 'feminine' than be some 40 year old fatass sitting on my couch eating McDonalds with my 250 pounds wife and not giving a **** what I look like because my career doesn't require me to value presentation.

You made assumptions about me, now I'm making assumptions about you. See how that works?

Old 07-31-2014, 12:27 AM

Anyone that feels the need to assert their 'manliness' is trying to overcompensate for something. Frankly, you sound the opposite of manly. It's 1 AM and you're arguing with a college student about who dresses better. You probably have a job, a wife, and kids. I'm home for the summer and have no responsibility, no job, no kids, and absolutely nothing better to do. What's your excuse?

Frankly, you're attitude is pretty entertaining. You're giving me a good laugh lol.

You ran track and high school? So 18 years ago? Cool. How's that beer gut doing?

Old 11-22-2014, 06:31 PM

457 posts, read 484,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Gent View Post
Anyone that feels the need to assert their 'manliness' is trying to overcompensate for something. Frankly, you sound the opposite of manly. It's 1 AM and you're arguing with a college student about who dresses better. You probably have a job, a wife, and kids. I'm home for the summer and have no responsibility, no job, no kids, and absolutely nothing better to do. What's your excuse?

Frankly, you're attitude is pretty entertaining. You're giving me a good laugh lol.

You ran track and high school? So 18 years ago? Cool. How's that beer gut doing?
I will enter this conversation as a guy who lives in Wisconsin. I get the impression you're beating your chest about Southerners being better than those from the North because they dress nicer. I enjoy the casual culture up here in the Midwest because it feels like you can be yourself without getting judged too much. I prefer casual clothing, it's more comfortable and I think it affects my demeanor. I tend to be more relaxed, which is a much more positive feeling. I know everyone is different, but I come from a school of thought that people should not be judged on what they wear unless they are just plain dirty or wearing something inappropriate or that could be construed as violent/nasty.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:35 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,431,029 times
OP, not sure where you're coming from. Our daughter is a student at the University of Michigan and students there tend to dress in fashionable, upscale clothing most of the time. Tall, leather boots are all the rage for girls right now, and they aren't wearing them with sweat pants, lol, they wear them with nicer jeans or leggings and nicer sweaters, not to mention that their outerwear is generally wool and not inexpensive.

The comparisons that you are making make me chuckle. Your picture of girls at an SEC football game looks like a bunch of girls from the backwoods heading out for an evening of line dancing at Bubba's Tavern. If I was from the South, I would not appreciate you pretending that that picture represents my entire culture, because I know that there are people with taste and refinement throughout the South. Also, and this may not have occurred to you, but dressing in mini sundresses at a home game is probably not in the best interest of someone who lives in a more northern climate. Football season here is not 85 degrees and humid.

Last edited by canudigit; 11-23-2014 at 06:58 AM..

Old 11-23-2014, 09:09 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,348,109 times
Football as a whole is a bigger deal in the South than it is in the North. Even here in Ohio (the biggest football state outside of the South), it's still more "casual" than it is is the South.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:56 AM

13,223 posts, read 17,972,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Gent View Post
Typical southern gameday attire for girls:

Typical northern gameday attire for girls:

Typical southern "casual" wear for men...
It's a ****ing football game, not some high-class social event. No words are strong enough to describe just how ridiculously pretentious it is to play dress-up for a football game, or any sporting event, for that matter. There's a time and a place for dressing up, and a football game is never the time, nor is a football stadium ever the place. Dress up after the game, ladies. Until then, give me the girl who's at the game in a fitted replica jersey and face paint. Girls can look hot in outfits like those anyway, and besides, those girls tend to at least have a rudimentary understanding of the game, and are focused on the game. Whoa, attending a football game for the game itself, and not just to be seen? What a novel concept!

Old 11-23-2014, 10:16 AM

2,753 posts, read 1,715,504 times
All of the people in those southern photos look like boring clones of each other.

The two girls from the northern photo look much more appropriately dressed for a game.

Old 11-23-2014, 01:23 PM

9,701 posts, read 7,260,842 times
The South is traditionally poorer and more class-oriented. In such a sub-culture, visual cues like clothing become far more important for social status. That's why Ole Miss, in the poorest state, is much better dressed than Harvard, loaded with the worlds elites.

To take extreme examples, compare any major city in Latin America to a rich, first world city like NYC, Paris or London. The rich in Bogota, or Mexico City, don't leave their house without wearing name brands everywhere. Their clothes are saying "Hey, I'm not one of the common people". In a rich city, the elites tend to try and blend in, and name brands are kind of declasse. The rich mostly try and hide their wealth, and eliminate any obvious social cues. Their clothes are saying "Ignore me, please, I'm like everyone else".

Obviously this is all generalizing, though. There are slobs in the SEC and fashion plates in the Ivy League. But I find the general trend holds (and I did undergrad in SEC and grad in Ivy League, BTW).

Also, fashionable is not an agreed-upon concept. In the South, the Vineyard Vines/Sperry look is VERY popular among the Frat crowd. If you wore that in NYC, they would laugh, and think you're playing Republican suburbanite dress-up. Conversely, if you wear the kind of things you see in Manhattan/Brooklyn at at Greek event at Ole Miss, they would think you're from Mars.

Old 11-23-2014, 01:35 PM

9,701 posts, read 7,260,842 times
Also, those pictures of frat houses are just embarrassing. People can waste their money on whatever they'd like, and are free to associate with whomever they want, but part of the reason most Southern schools are such under-performers is the pervasive, Plantation-like Greek presence. Basically the universities are operated for the football teams and for the frats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or