U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 02:21 PM

13,223 posts, read 17,969,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Also, those pictures of frat houses are just embarrassing. People can waste their money on whatever they'd like, and are free to associate with whomever they want, but part of the reason most Southern schools are such under-performers is the pervasive, Plantation-like Greek presence. Basically the universities are operated for the football teams and for the frats.
Yeah, my brother was a member of a fraternity at the University of Pittsburgh, and their house was just a regular old house on some side street near the university that they painted purple with their Greek letters on the side. About a dozen people lived in the house, and they parked their cars in the driveway and part of the back yard. All the cars were beaters, and one of them was shared between four students who didn't have their own. The house was a messy but cozy place, and the fraternity itself was much more Animal House than any I've seen at the University of Georgia, which all strike me as faux aristocratic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 04:08 PM

800 posts, read 645,289 times
This is a pretty funny thread and is a rather preposterous premise.

In my experience, Southerners care a lot about keeping up appearances. As someone else alluded to earlier, the South's highly stratified social structure lends itself clothes that convey social status which in the South means wearing poor fitting, garishly colored clothes peppered with cute little whale logos. Just because something is expensive does not make in good taste and the dress and behavior of these southern frat kids epitomizes this.

The rant about southerners being so much more attractive than us homely Midwesterners and frigid northerners is hogwash. If this was actually the case the South wouldn't lead the nation in obesity.

It is a reflection of what the Southern educational system has become. They're just glorified country clubs for the states elite where intellectualism is despised as "liberal nonesense" and where racism, sexism, and social misanthropy reign supreme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or