Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 09:07 PM

136 posts, read 241,254 times

Advertisements

I'm not trying to speak in terms of adults because I'm frankly not part of that world yet. I am a student at an SEC School and have had the pleasure of spending my college years in the best conference in the country. During my time down here, I've noticed one startling difference between southern college kids and northern college kids.

Southerners value formal wear...a lot more. Growing up in the North, I lived very close to the University of Wisconsin Madison and regularly saw the attire that college students would wear to class. From my experience growing up in the North and visiting a number of Big 10 and east coast colleges, I can safely conclude that college students down south dress a lot nicer.

There is a huge amount of students in the North who will go to class in jeans, t-shirts, sweatpants, sweatshirts, etc. Girls won't really spend much time on their appearance (which is fair because it's early in the morning when they start classes) and guys mostly look like they couldn't care less in the North. I'm not saying they are all this way, but many are. It is also considered socially acceptable up north to go to bars and football games in t-shirts and jeans. Believe me, if you did that down here you'd get some funny looks as you often hear guys in the SEC make fun of college kids up north for not knowing how to dress properly.

If you visit any SEC school, the vast majority of the guys will be wearing khaki pants, oxford button-up shirts, vineyard vines, southern proper, sperrys -- the whole classic 'frat' look. They really invest a lot of money in their clothing, believe me. You rarely catch a guy down south going to the bar in anything more casual than a button-down. The girls tend to value being feminine more down here and won't step out to go to class their their all prettied up in sundresses or their sorority t-shirts. It is evident they spend far more time on their appearance, same with the guys.

Southern girls treat college football game day like a huge event and they're always looking gorgeous for kickoff. Whenever I went to Badgers games girls just wore the Badger t-shirts and jeans. I

Why is there a such a contrast in northern attire and southern?

Typical southern gameday attire for girls:

Typical northern gameday attire for girls:

Typical southern "casual" wear for men...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 09:19 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Gotta look nice when LSU whoops dat ***.

I think it may be due to how highly regarded college football is here but I've never noticed a significantly higher number of people dressed up for a game, maybe because I'm from the south, I don't know. There sure are people who wear jeans and a t-shirt though.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:23 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,607,367 times
I responded to what you said in the other thread.

All you're doing in this thread is cherry picking pictures to prove a point. To call that picture of the guys 'typical' isn't true. T-shirts and cargo shorts is typical at southern schools.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
I responded to what you said in the other thread.

All you're doing in this thread is cherry picking pictures to prove a point. To call that picture of the guys 'typical' isn't true. T-shirts and cargo shorts is typical at southern schools.
Actually I'd say that button ups and $70 LSU polo shirts and Ralph Lauren Polo shorts are VERY common on game day.

It is sort of typical, and that picture of the girls I thought was LSU but then I noticed no gold.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:35 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
My mom used to say that if you believe you can be ready to leave the house in less than 30 minutes, maybe you shouldn't be leaving the house at all.

Plus she would have KILLED me if I had worn pajama pants to class.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Actually I'd say that button ups and $70 LSU polo shirts and Ralph Lauren Polo shorts are VERY common on game day.

It is sort of typical, and that picture of the girls I thought was LSU but then I noticed no gold.

LSU/SEC school tailgaiting videos show that it's not really that common. To say VERY common makes no sense.

I've been to a game at the U of Georgia, a game at Miss. St., and several at the U of Texas and didn't see a difference from the kids I see at games in the Midwest or northeast (in both regions I've been to dozens of games.)

Old 07-30-2014, 09:47 PM

I could start a thread asking why Southern kids dress down for game day and find hundreds of pics to 'prove' my point. But the truth is that there is very little difference in how college kids from different regions dress.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:50 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
Quote:

I could start a thread asking why Southern kids dress down for game day and find hundreds of pics to 'prove' my point. But the truth is that there is very little difference in how college kids from different regions dress.
FWIW the second two pix look like alumni. They look way too old to be students.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
LSU/SEC school tailgaiting videos show that it's not really that common. To say VERY common makes no sense.

I've been to a game at the U of Georgia, a game at Miss. St., and several at the U of Texas and didn't see a difference from the kids I see at games in the Midwest or northeast (in both regions I've been to dozens of games.)
It is to me.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:57 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,300,659 times
I studied at a southern university as an undergrad and a northeastern university as a grad student. Student attire was generally casual at both. I'd say there were more "fashion-forward" types at the northern school (perhaps due to proximity to NYC, perhaps due to fewer engineering students), but you wouldn't find them at a football game, and they were not wearing vineyard vines and sperrys. Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.