U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 01:25 AM

6,322 posts, read 4,757,205 times

Advertisements

Okay folks, the main reason i joined this site was to find help deciding where i should relocate to. I have severe seasonal depression from Oct-April. Every year i tell myself i'm leaving but then inertia sets in . . .

THIS YEAR I AM MOVING!

SOCIAL: I'm a single chica in 30s, no kids, work from home, estranged from most fam and disconnected from most friends since they all started having kids. 2 cats which i adore

POLITICS: I am so far left that i am falling off the edge on social issues. I am a bit more moderate on fiscal policy but still have liberal values in that area. I'm not a fan of taxes (who is?) but especially since much go to school systems and i don't have kids. I read, but don't utilize the library. And i'm fine to pay for my own trash/recycling. Religion is open.

IDEAL (in no particular order):
  • Mild Winters
  • Liberal Politics
  • Can buy a house for about 250k
  • Low Taxes (on property, and income, don't care as much about sales taxes)
  • SUN SUN SUN SUN SUN!!!
  • Would love to be near the ocean but not mandatory (i don't know if i'd fit in on southern east coast and Cali is prob out of my price range)
  • An active Arts scene (artist is my second job)
  • Cat friendly

Some ideas i've been thinking of for many years:
  • North Carolina coast (but don't know where would be a good fit- suggestions??)
  • Sedona AZ (but not sure about losing daylight since there is no daylight savings time.)
  • Santa Fe or Albuquerque NM (but Albq may be too cold)
  • Maybe somewhere in Cali i haven't considered?
  • Florida- but where??
  • Vegas- low taxes, low COL, sun but do i REALLY want to be near all those "vices?"
I've already ruled out USVI and Hawaii.

Any thoughts (or at least help in whittling down my mega list??)

MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 02:15 AM

4,403 posts, read 4,605,807 times
Tucson might be a good fit for you. It's probably the most liberal city in AZ. Sedona is more of a tourist attraction than a city. Tucson is warmer than Albuquerque and is a lot cheaper than California.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:04 AM

6,322 posts, read 4,757,205 times
Wow. The most liberal city in AZ? I had no idea!

Old 07-31-2014, 06:06 AM

363 posts, read 367,328 times
St. Petersburg, FL might be a good fit. In the sunshine state, close to the beach but still fairly affordable.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:40 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,359,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwsavemoney View Post
St. Petersburg, FL might be a good fit. In the sunshine state, close to the beach but still fairly affordable.
It's not that liberal however. While considered "blue" it doesn't provide the intellectual environment of the typical liberal community seen elsewhere in the US.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:51 AM

56,569 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Maybe Wilmington or Greenville NC......

Old 07-31-2014, 09:04 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,420,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Wow. The most liberal city in AZ? I had no idea!
Well, I haven't been to Tucson, but if it's more liberal than Sedona then it's got to be liberal.

Sedona might fit your needs; lots of new age psychics, loopy, latter-day hippies, and eccentric artist types live there. It is pretty expensive though, but for $250,000 you might be able to find something.

I wouldn't really worry about the daylight savings thing if you think you might like Arizona. It's so glaringly sunny there most of the time that you might even welcome some "down time", as far the sun is concerned. You may not believe that, but really...I thought I had SAD until I lived in Phoenix for a while. The sun can honestly be as depressing in its own way as clouds and snow.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:48 AM

8,452 posts, read 11,431,560 times
The Palm Springs, CA area.Very arty area, and all the other things on your list including 631 SF houses or condos in your price range today:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...928,8356,16569

Here's the forum here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-b...side-counties/

(You'll have to drive to the ocean. It is a "day trip" but completely doable.But there's lots of swimming pools in PS!)

Last edited by nightlysparrow; 07-31-2014 at 11:38 AM..

Old 07-31-2014, 11:11 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 17 days ago)

10,467 posts, read 14,307,686 times
Just curious, but what do you mean by 'cat friendly'?

Old 08-03-2014, 06:45 AM

10,422 posts, read 12,412,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Just curious, but what do you mean by 'cat friendly'?
Low Chinese population
Sorry bad joke, don't want to be seen as racist, no idea what she means with "cat friendly".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or