U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-20-2007, 04:20 PM
PPG PPG started this thread

507 posts, read 1,004,693 times
Default High crime areas

High crime areas. Why do people want others to think these areas are where they should live/check out.

In the Pittsburgh forum there is always someone cheerleading for a high crime area saying that it's "not that bad" or "I've never had a problem," when actually it's on the news often for homocides/shootings, etc...

1. Why do they think people want to hear gunfire?
2. Why do they think it's OK to hear gunfire?
3. Why don't they realize there are better neighborhoods?
4. Why do they think everyone should feel the way that they do?
5. Why do they want to put people in bad situations by telling them a certain neighborhood is good?

I can understand realtors doing this but most of these people are citizens.

In the Pittsburgh forum there is a thread about the North side mexican war streets area. This area has beautiful historic homes but has had a troubled social problem like homeless, drugs, shootings, etc...
2 days ago a man stumbled into the police station with 3 bullets in his chest. This happens often in this area. My question is - Does this sound like the place you want to live? If not then why do people cheerlead for these types of areas. I don't understand.

For the record - I am black and I don't want to live in the mexican war streets. So why would white people?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 05:11 PM

4,834 posts, read 4,038,162 times
Thumbs up Don't know why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPG View Post
High crime areas. Why do people want others to think these areas are where they should live/check out.

In the Pittsburgh forum there is always someone cheerleading for a high crime area saying that it's "not that bad" or "I've never had a problem," when actually it's on the news often for homocides/shootings, etc...

1. Why do they think people want to hear gunfire?
2. Why do they think it's OK to hear gunfire?
3. Why don't they realize there are better neighborhoods?
4. Why do they think everyone should feel the way that they do?
5. Why do they want to put people in bad situations by telling them a certain neighborhood is good?

I can understand realtors doing this but most of these people are citizens.

In the Pittsburgh forum there is a thread about the North side mexican war streets area. This area has beautiful historic homes but has had a troubled social problem like homeless, drugs, shootings, etc...
2 days ago a man stumbled into the police station with 3 bullets in his chest. This happens often in this area. My question is - Does this sound like the place you want to live? If not then why do people cheerlead for these types of areas. I don't understand.

For the record - I am black and I don't want to live in the mexican war streets. So why would white people?
Black or white, I have no idea why any intelligent American would want to live in the areas you described. It seems like crimes rises in cities where the economy is troubled and jobs are not available.

I lived most of my life in cities and now live in a rural area where we all know each other and help each other out...like it used to be in yesteryear.

Probably only the drug dealers want to be cheerleaders as their best customers are those who gave up hope of having the American Dream.

My two cents

Old 12-20-2007, 05:52 PM

1,924 posts, read 3,136,906 times
Come to think of it, I've read a few threads on this too. This is baffling to me as well. No one in their right mind would, knowing that an area has high incidences of crime move there. Any intelligent person would drive around the area first if they were not certain of the type of area. Believe me, if it's a high crime area you will know. If you are concerned during the day, ask yourself if you would walk around alone at night. If the answer is 'no', don't even think about it anymore. If someone tells me 'it's not that bad', I would be worried. Those words don't sound like a ringing endorsement.

As to why someone would recommend an area like this to someone else, I can think of 2 reasons; take them for what they are.

First, perhaps some individuals have a vested interest in seeing the area revitalized. The only way this can happen is to bring a better class of residents to the area. An area such as this will never improve if the status quo is maintained.

Second, perhaps others feel guilty that some people live in a disgusting hellhole while others live in very luxurious surroundings. They also know that the only way to improve the hellholes is to get non-criminals to move in with the hope of improving the neighborhood. Of course this now means that these new 'fresh meat' residents will get to see some action in their boring lives.

For myself, I just ain't eager for this edge in my life. I want a comfortable life in a low crime area. My idea of action and night life does not include hearing gunshots throughout the night while I am attempting to sleep or staying up half the night watching so my car and property don't get vandalized or stolen.

I know several people that asked for advice on areas to move when they relocated to Chicago. They all wanted nice quiet neighborhoods, good schools for their kids, appreciating property values and low crime. Being a life-long resident of the Chicago area, I steered them to upper-middle class suburbs that met this criteria. I wouldn't dream of intentionally misleading someone on such an important decision nor would I steer them to an area that I would not live in. One of the individuals specifically asked me which areas to avoid.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:28 PM
PPG PPG started this thread

507 posts, read 1,004,693 times
Thanks for the replys guys!

1. Should these people be ashamed of themselves for leading a family with you kids to a neighborhood with high crime?
2. I agree that some of these people are developers and citizens groups trying to make a change in the neighborhood. IMO, this is only good to a certain point because they are only pushing crime to another neighborhood which is kinda selfish in my overall view.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:53 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,579,452 times
I dont kno why. The NYC forum is chock full of these people. Yeah, even though its the poorest congressional district in the US, it's a great place to live!

Old 12-21-2007, 08:20 AM

492 posts, read 1,589,217 times
I would live in the Mexican War Streets. Sure, the area around it isn't good, but I don't think my life would be in danger if I lived in the "nice" part. For me, and probably many others, the draw is the architecture. You can only find a neighborhood like the MWS in a few cities in the country. Even in the city of Pittsburgh, it is a step above the other rowhouse neighborhoods, like Lawrenceville and the South Side, architecturally speaking. Would I raise a family there? Probably not. Would I live a few blocks outside the designated "MWS" area? Definitely not.

A friend of mine lives between Downtown and Oakland on Forbes Ave in the "Uptown" area. I'd say his apartment is in a much worse area than the MWS. There's nothing nice around where he lives. But he's got an awesome, 1500sq ft loft in an old linen factory with amazing views of the Mon River, South Side and the bridges, and he pays next to nothing for it.

However, I do agree that people looking to relocate to Pittsburgh should not be told that these are good areas. They're not for just anyone.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:23 PM

107 posts, read 246,729 times
I agree with you boardmanite. I recently returned to the burgh and did a walk through almost every city neighborhood this weekend. I parked right in the heart of the MWS and walked around. Went to the Belzala(spelling?) coffee house. I was struck by how much I missed these real urban areas. After living in Colorado for 3 years, you can't find areas of old, architecturally amazing, dense neighborhoods like this. I was also shocked by the amount of professional people that seemed to move in there. However, areas outside of the area designated by the historic counsil as the MWS are pretty bad. I am not choosing to move there. I think it would be amazing to live in a urban row like that. However, being single and 26, I wouldn't want to be stumbling home from a bar on E. Ohio street at 12 at night through the neighborhoods around it. I hope the area keeps going on the upswing, and eventually effects the areas around it.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:27 PM

107 posts, read 246,729 times
Also to the OP. People do want to live there, and telling them nothing about the crime that happens there isn't helping. This area has been turning largely homosexual from my understanding. When I walked around it I saw mothers with their children, and people with strollers, and others remodeling a old house. I felt very, very safe. I am not going to let thugs that come out at night keeping me away from going to the mattress factory in the MWS. It is this kind of mentallity that lets these gangs of thugs win and push the good citizens out of living in these areas.

Also, some of the comments in this thread make me sick. I work in urban redevelopment. Some of you seem to say, "these disgusting hell holes" should just be abandoned and move to the suburbs. I am a young urban pioneer that sees things different. i would rather buy a old house and fix it up and help reverb our cities. Thats me though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.