U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 02:06 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,429,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would recommend a visit to Ann Arbor in particular as your take on it isn't what most would deem as accurate.
Oh, I don't know. I live twenty minutes from there and he actually isn't too far off.

Ann Arbor is one of those places where people go so that they can "be themselves"...just like everyone else, if you know what I'm saying.

For example, my husband and I were in Ann Arbor just last night for an appointment. We went to dinner at a place on Liberty St. and the girl who served us had multiple nose piercings, tattoos everywhere, and dyed jet black hair. We then strolled around and ended up having coffee several blocks away on E. University, and the girl who served us had...multiple nose piercings, tattoos everywhere, and dyed jet black hair. In the course of walking around town we saw a lot of people who had...well, you get the picture.

IOW, Ann Arbor can be very pretentious and has more than its share of wannabe hipsters who just want to live in Ann Arbor so that they can "be who they are"...and be just like everyone else who is trying to "be who they are". When you have enough people trying way too hard to be unique, it isn't unique anymore.

Between that and the worship of human intellect and wealth, Ann Arbor can be a bit of a bore.

Last edited by canudigit; 07-31-2014 at 02:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 03:05 PM

3,029 posts, read 2,465,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I don't know any Midwesterner who would want to live in the Northeast instead.

Every Midwesterner that I know that moved here to New England ended up going back home to the Midwest within a matter of years.
Um... way to generalize. I'm a Midwesterner, and while I returned, I lived in the Northeast for a bit and liked it. Many of my friends have as well, and some of them are still there.

There are somewhat more concentrated financial, cultural, artistic, and educational opportunities in the Northeast than in the Midwest - like banking and Broadway in New York, or colleges in Boston, for example. There are Midwesterners drawn to this as well.

But Ann Arbor is basically a bunch of faculty, staff, and students from the Northeast, and Michiganders who want to be like them. It's kind of an oasis of everything that people want in the Northeast transplanted to southeast Michigan. So while it's a great place for many people who are looking for that kind of thing, it's a bit pretentious like canudigit stated.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:58 PM

3,961 posts, read 3,496,941 times
Ann Arbor sits on an urban area of 300k people which is overshadowed by the 4million person urban area it is attached to. It is an R&D Tech hub for foreign automakers, as well as the headquarters for one of the nations largest pizza chains, and houses a couple of automotive think tanks. It's not just the University of Michigan.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:17 PM

87 posts, read 151,105 times
Quote:
Ann Arbor seems like an annoying college town though. Columbus seems like an out of control high growth area and severe college town also. But I haven't been to either.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:42 PM

233 posts, read 281,539 times
Quote:
I don't know any Midwesterner who would want to live in the Northeast instead.
You know, for starting a thread, you seem to be shooting down a lot of nice people who are just simply stating what they think. They aren't even being rude about it. Sort of silly to refer to Ann Arbor as disqualified from the thread because you think it's "annoying." Maybe you should have made sure to say, "Not Chicago" and "not annoying towns or towns with colleges that are annoying. And no Chicago! And no one in the Midwest likes the Northeast, ever! by the way......."

Once again I hold my theory that those with higher reputation are the least reputable here on the friendly City-Data Forum. (Irony at it's finest..) Just kidding sort of, I'm not trying to be too hard on you.

ANYWHO, I can speak from experience, although I am an Iowa native, that many parts of Iowa can come across as very stand-off-ish until you give people a chance. It's not an immediate gratification type of welcome, you just sort of ease your way in by respecting people and being friendly. Now of course there are small towns across all of the country with that "Don't be a stranger, we don't like them!!!" mentality - however, I think that is actually somewhat misinterpreted in some of the larger towns as people are just more reserved here in the Midwest in general.

Final note, Waterloo, Iowa is a very welcoming place! Kind of funny because it is more of a town perceived to be in decline, like much of Michigan. Waterloo doesn't have a lot of population growth so maybe it is similar to what another poster said in that it is intriguing and people are much more welcoming when you move to this type of area. Who knows!

Old 07-31-2014, 05:23 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,830,373 times
Quote:
What are the metropolitan areas in the Midwest that are friendly and welcoming to transplants with open arms? Places that are not provincial or insular and allow others into their social circle easily. Places where transplants are expected to come, and it's easy to make friends and assimilate.

Other than Chicago, please.
What size of city? Cleveland and Columbus. Smaller cities would be Akron, Youngstown, and Canton.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:37 PM

56,660 posts, read 80,973,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would recommend a visit to Ann Arbor in particular as your take on it isn't what most would deem as accurate.
I agree and while it can be too quirky and pretentious, you can avoid it and it has a lot going on for a smaller city. If that is too much for you, then perhaps something like East Lansing/Okemos/Haslett in the Lansing MI area could work or surrounding towns like Saline or Dexter could be a better fit instead.

Minneapolis/St. Paul could work and I would reconsider Columbus again.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:45 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,037,464 times
Part of me thinks that when people assume that Midwesterners aren't welcoming may be because Midwesterners tend to shy away from ... brash folks.

I don't mean this as an insult, though. It seems to me that New England/East Coasters literally make friends based on how bad they can insult each other. It completely boggles the "Midwestern nice" logic. Although, this is mostly based on media representation so I'm sure my view might be exaggerated, but compare NE'sters to Midwesterners and there's a very obvious difference in how relationships are developed.

With that in mind, if you come to the Midwest expecting to make friends like how you would in the NE, then obviously it's not going to be easy because of the differences in social norms. If you're more aware and more willing to sort of socialize how native Midwesterners tend to socialize, then it might be easier. Likewise, I don't think I could survive in the NE with how brash people are unless my skin was 10 times tougher.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:50 PM

56,660 posts, read 80,973,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Part of me thinks that when people assume that Midwesterners aren't welcoming may be because Midwesterners tend to shy away from ... brash folks.

I don't mean this as an insult, though. It seems to me that New England/East Coasters literally make friends based on how bad they can insult each other. It completely boggles the "Midwestern nice" logic. Although, this is mostly based on media representation so I'm sure my view might be exaggerated, but compare NE'sters to Midwesterners and there's a very obvious difference in how relationships are developed.

With that in mind, if you come to the Midwest expecting to make friends like how you would in the NE, then obviously it's not going to be easy because of the differences in social norms. If you're more aware and more willing to sort of socialize how native Midwesterners tend to socialize, then it might be easier. Likewise, I don't think I could survive in the NE with how brash people are unless my skin was 10 times tougher.
It depends, as the further inland in the Northeast, the more similar to Midwestern folks the people are. They are still Northeastern in terms of culture, but in terms of attitude, it isn't as brash inland.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:42 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,037,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It depends, as the further inland in the Northeast, the more similar to Midwestern folks the people are. They are still Northeastern in terms of culture, but in terms of attitude, it isn't as brash inland.
Yea, I was generally speaking of the I-95 corridor. Outside of that, I figure it's a bit more of Midwestern attitudes and more relaxed but still somewhat less reserved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.