Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 02:01 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,397,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
And where exactly in Boston could you build something as large as Mass General without destroying historic areas? The entire city is like 200 years old.
The Hospital is very Accessible from 93, or 90 (and Public transit) which is important for a Hospital to be easy to get too.
And it brought 1,000s of wealthy Doctors and researchers into Downtown. Boston every day (reviving the city)
Mass General is also 200 years old. Its not like they built it in the 60's. Thats not even the area that I have an issue with, I'm talking about the Longfellow Towers and the 4 or 5 other Soviet style apartment buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 02:27 PM

24,445 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Tearing down the old Carnegie Library.

Corona History, History of Corona, Corona California - Corona Historic Preservation Society

The destruction of historic buildings downtown and the construction of a failed mail.

Corona History, History of Corona, Corona California - Corona Historic Preservation Society

Old 08-04-2014, 02:50 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
I am going to give Texan's the benefit of the doubt and assume that most of the reasonable posters from Texas simply haven't found the thread or something rather than assuming they don't exist.
Or they (along with the New Yorkers as you point out) saw the tread title and thought they have nothing to contribute. Time will tell. I do agree, however, that it's refreshing that a fellow Texan is calling them out (+1 to JJG).

Old 08-04-2014, 02:56 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Or they (along with the New Yorkers as you point out) saw the tread title and thought they have nothing to contribute. Time will tell. I do agree, however, that it's refreshing that a fellow Texan is calling them out (+1 to JJG).
I actually made a "good" version of before this thread... Ironically, this is the one getting the most response.

You'd think more people would actually want to display more good in their city than bad.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:20 PM

14,008 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
Mass General is also 200 years old. Its not like they built it in the 60's. Thats not even the area that I have an issue with, I'm talking about the Longfellow Towers and the 4 or 5 other Soviet style apartment buildings.
Just saying replacing run down tenements with a medical institution envied the world over and a cornerstone to Boston bio-medical field seems like the definition of "urban renewal" done right.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:31 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I and I believe others mentioned the destruction of Pennsylvania Station. I also mentioned the unfortunate filling in of Collect Pond which would have made a nice park in Downtown Manhattan. I also mentioned the destruction of the original Federal Hall built in 1700. This is where George Washington took the oath of office to become the first President of the United States.

Federal Hall (has a picture of the original Federal Hall)
Collect Pond - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-04-2014, 06:51 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I and I believe others mentioned the destruction of Pennsylvania Station. I also mentioned the unfortunate filling in of Collect Pond which would have made a nice park in Downtown Manhattan. I also mentioned the destruction of the original Federal Hall built in 1700. This is where George Washington took the oath of office to become the first President of the United States.

Federal Hall (has a picture of the original Federal Hall)
Collect Pond - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yep. Apologies for the oversight.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:15 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Running I-95 along the riverfront has to be in 2nd place then (arguably, 1st place); both disasters none the less. Although there is movement for reconnecting the cut-off city from the riverfront. I believe the plan is to bury I-95 or reroute it into the Vine Expressway somehow. Many cities made these interstate highway mistakes back in the '50s-'70s.
I'd say running I 95 along the river was very wise. It avoided the problems many cities faced when expressways divided them.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:59 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
Other than tearing down a lot of historic buildings in Dallas. The DART train system should have been made a subway or elevated. Having it at grade downtown is such a pain.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:48 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,258,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
What stadium?
Ralph Wilson Stadium, for the buffalo bills
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.