U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 09:03 AM

56,742 posts, read 81,061,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Seattle: I-5 freeway running right through the middle of Seattle's urban core, with the Central Business District/South Lake Union on one side, and Capitol Hill/First Hill on the other. The urban core would feel more connected if the city one day buries I-5.
Same here in Syracuse with I-81 with Downtown on one side and the University Hill area on the other. if you drive through the city, it looks like there are 2 Downtowns or cities next to each other. https://maps.google.com/maps?q=I-81+...350.95,,0,4.92
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 09:34 AM

6,866 posts, read 7,817,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
? . . every Texan knows damn well that every one of our cities' cores had (and still has) some issues. Compare Downtown Dallas today with Downtown Dallas, say, 1955...
I agree. It's just that Texans sometime have a bit too much pride to admit they make a mistake.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:45 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,249 posts, read 19,197,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I agree. It's just that Texans sometime have a bit too much pride to admit they make a mistake.
I've been around a good chunk of the country. Pride is everywhere... even if some places have more of it than others.

I can tell you that I come from "the most Texan city in Texas", and admit that it ain't perfect.

I can't begin to tell you how much Fort Worth has been held back by its own leadership. Maybe some of its a blessing, but there's plenty that's been mistakenly put on the backburner because of being TOO conservative on certain projects. We have one of the weakest public transportation authorities in America. So much so that a lot of Fort Worthians are wanting to join with DART (Dallas) and most of us HATE working with Dallas on anything...

Old 08-04-2014, 10:09 AM

6,866 posts, read 7,817,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I've been around a good chunk of the country. Pride is everywhere... even if some places have more of it than others.

I can tell you that I come from "the most Texan city in Texas", and admit that it ain't perfect.
I'm just rattling your chain. But aside from you, I do note the absence of other native Texas posters in this thread. If you recall, I was the first to reply to your OP and described the Houston tunnels as an example of a good idea that had some significant downsides (IMO). Usually the other Houston posters are quick to jump on any thread to tell us how great their city is. Don't see any criticism from them in this thread, however. Perhaps it takes someone who didn't grow up there to see it has its faults, despite how nice it is.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:24 AM

3,147 posts, read 2,944,775 times
Quote:
I must say that it is refreshing to see a poster from Texas asking about the lack of criticism of Texas's cities. (JJG) I don't think it is really anything to do with Texans vs. others though....

It seems that a majority of people, regardless of location, boost their cities and refuse to admit any faults or flaws in them. Then you have the more reasonable posters who can see the flaws and be honest about them. I am going to give Texan's the benefit of the doubt and assume that most of the reasonable posters from Texas simply haven't found the thread or something rather than assuming they don't exist.

As my proof to my theory, I present the fact that the OP is from Texas.

*Feel free to correct me, but I don't think I have seen a poster from NYC in this thread, they are probably the most notorious for local boosterism on these forums.*

Old 08-04-2014, 10:47 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,249 posts, read 19,197,436 times
Quote:
I'm just rattling your chain. But aside from you, I do note the absence of other native Texas posters in this thread. If you recall, I was the first to reply to your OP and described the Houston tunnels as an example of a good idea that had some significant downsides (IMO). Usually the other Houston posters are quick to jump on any thread to tell us how great their city is. Don't see any criticism from them in this thread, however. Perhaps it takes someone who didn't grow up there to see it has its faults, despite how nice it is.
Actually, Houston's pretty much a 2nd home to me. And while I do know that the tunnels have killed a lot of the street level, I'd probably say that not having much at the street level in most of downtown doesn't help at all.

Market Square is fine. I like what they're building next to Minute Maid Park and Discovery Green is without a doubt the best thing about Downtown Houston. Well, maybe outside of the Theatre District. But the rest of downtown is really just big, bulky skyscrapers with little to no ground level development. Makes for a very intimidating experience walking through there.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:16 AM

7,140 posts, read 9,921,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I disagree with the West end, they replaced tenements with the best research hospital in the world which helped catalyze the resurgence of Boston.
Well fortunately they did not give the "West End treatment" to the North End, Beacon Hill and Back Bay. Ashame, a hospital and public housing can be placed anywhere, it was not necessary to pillage one of America's most historic neighborhoods. I guess what happened to Scollay Square and build this monstrosity - Boston City Hall - was equally bad..

Boston City Hall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-04-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Well fortunately they did not give the "West End treatment" to the North End, Beacon Hill and Back Bay. Ashame, a hospital and public housing can be placed anywhere, it was not necessary to pillage one of America's most historic neighborhoods. I guess what happened to Scollay Square and build this monstrosity - Boston City Hall - was equally bad..

Boston City Hall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I agree with this sentiment. When a city destroys a historical area, it doesn't matter much what they replace it with, as the new buildings could be built anywhere in the city without destroying the historic areas.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:13 PM

9,399 posts, read 9,560,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
I agree with this sentiment. When a city destroys a historical area, it doesn't matter much what they replace it with, as the new buildings could be built anywhere in the city without destroying the historic areas.
And where exactly in Boston could you build something as large as Mass General without destroying historic areas? The entire city is like 200 years old.
The Hospital is very Accessible from 93, or 90 (and Public transit) which is important for a Hospital to be easy to get too.
And it brought 1,000s of wealthy Doctors and researchers into Downtown. Boston every day (reviving the city)

Old 08-04-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
And where exactly in Boston could you build something as large as Mass General without destroying historic areas? The entire city is like 200 years old.
The Hospital is very Accessible from 93, or 90 (and Public transit) which is important for a Hospital to be easy to get too.
And it brought 1,000s of wealthy Doctors and researchers into Downtown. Boston every day (reviving the city)
Yeah and NONE of that would have happened if it was across the river in Cambridge....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or