U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-03-2014, 12:13 AM
 
Location: Seattle
565 posts, read 564,399 times
Reputation: 521

Advertisements

Tacoma is cheaper than Seattle, and so is Federal Way which has a very strong Asian presence. Tacoma is more city like and Federal Way is more suburban but it's downtown is changing and there is a lot of new construction. Throwing it out there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-04-2014, 07:02 PM
 
65 posts, read 93,373 times
Reputation: 50
@Dawn.Davenport
Thx for telling me about the downside of Syracuse. I don't mind the grey skies and the gloom, as long as the air is clean and they are plenty of nature, I am alright. I deal with winter depression by finding a free, above freezing temperature public space to move around and stay active. Usually, nearby libraries or universities have some place like that.
I somewhat hate shoveling, however, it seems that I must choose between high CoL and cold winter, I would pick cold winter.

I prefer having a used car, so I can drive and have my weekend trip, public transportation is not a big deal for me. I don't mind running / walking around, I love exploring by foot.
I have been to Minneapolis, couchsurfed there for 4 days, the Twin Cities are solid.

@ckhthankgod
It's cool that Syracuse has strong art sense, artistic people are less materialistic, they are more spiritual .
Strong LGBT scene is a plus, I am straight but I have good friends who are LGBT, LGBT people are not judgmental, they are smart.
Dating wise, it would be nice if Syracuse girls are smart, love nature, tall and fit.
So far, I have the best luck with white girls who like Asian foods and cultures and Asian girls who like traveling and nature. I don't get along so well with most Asian girls, they prefer staying inside all day to have white skin.

My martial art / travel friends are of all colors and cultures ^ ^

Last edited by TravelMartialArtist; 08-04-2014 at 07:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2014, 07:13 PM
 
65 posts, read 93,373 times
Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
Think about Asheville... natural, progressive, diverse, amazing local food culture...
Asheville seems to have small Asian communities, that's a deal breaker for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaserbrad View Post
Tacoma is cheaper than Seattle, and so is Federal Way which has a very strong Asian presence. Tacoma is more city like and Federal Way is more suburban but it's downtown is changing and there is a lot of new construction. Throwing it out there
Thanks for telling me about Federal way and Tacoma. I keep that in mind, and check them out when I visit the PNW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2014, 07:14 PM
 
Location: Auburn, New York
1,775 posts, read 2,513,264 times
Reputation: 2935
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelMartialArtist View Post
@Dawn.Davenport
Thx for telling me about the downside of Syracuse. I don't mind the grey skies and the gloom, as long as the air is clean and they are plenty of nature, I am alright. I deal with winter depression by finding a free, above freezing temperature public space to move around and stay active. Usually, nearby libraries or universities have some place like that.
I somewhat hate shoveling, however, it seems that I must choose between high CoL and cold winter, I would pick cold winter.

I prefer having a used car, so I can drive and have my weekend trip, public transportation is not a big deal for me. I don't mind running / walking around, I love exploring by foot.
I have been to Minneapolis, couchsurfed there for 4 days, the Twin Cities are solid.

@ckhthankgod
It's cool that Syracuse has strong art sense, artistic people are less materialistic, they are more spiritual .
Strong LGBT scene is a plus, I am straight but I have good friends who are LGBT, LGBT people are not judgmental, they are smart.
Dating wise, it would be nice if Syracuse girls are smart, love nature, tall and fit.
So far, I have the best luck with white girls who like Asian foods and cultures and Asian girls who like travelling. I don't get along so well with most Asian girls, they prefer staying inside all day to have white skin.

My martial art / travel friends are of all colors and cultures ^ ^
Well, the air and water is certainly clean in both cities. Minneapolis just spent millions building one of the most advanced water filtration systems in the country. And Skaneateles Lake, where Syracuse gets its water, is so clean, the water doesn't even need to be filtered.

Yes, in Syracuse it snows almost everyday in the winter, but it's usually light, fluffy, and easy to shovel.

Syracuse is a lot snowier than Minneapolis, but Minneapolis is a lot colder than Syracuse. While it snows almost everyday in Syracuse, it goes near or below 0 F nearly every night in Minneapolis. Syracuse only sees 0 F a few times a years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2014, 07:22 PM
 
65 posts, read 93,373 times
Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Well, the air and water is certainly clean in both cities. Minneapolis just spent millions building one of the most advanced water filtration systems in the country. And Skaneateles Lake, where Syracuse gets its water, is so clean, the water doesn't even need to be filtered.

Yes, in Syracuse it snows almost everyday in the winter, but it's usually light, fluffy, and easy to shovel.

Syracuse is a lot snowier than Minneapolis, but Minneapolis is a lot colder than Syracuse. While it snows almost everyday in Syracuse, it goes near or below 0 F nearly every night in Minneapolis. Syracuse only sees 0 F a few times a years.
Warm and more snow sounds much better to me ^ ^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2014, 07:23 PM
 
56,637 posts, read 80,930,134 times
Reputation: 12509
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelMartialArtist View Post
@Dawn.Davenport
Thx for telling me about the downside of Syracuse. I don't mind the grey skies and the gloom, as long as the air is clean and they are plenty of nature, I am alright. I deal with winter depression by finding a free, above freezing temperature public space to move around and stay active. Usually, nearby libraries or universities have some place like that.
I somewhat hate shoveling, however, it seems that I must choose between high CoL and cold winter, I would pick cold winter.

I prefer having a used car, so I can drive and have my weekend trip, public transportation is not a big deal for me. I don't mind running / walking around, I love exploring by foot.
I have been to Minneapolis, couchsurfed there for 4 days, the Twin Cities are solid.

@ckhthankgod
It's cool that Syracuse has strong art sense, artistic people are less materialistic, they are more spiritual .
Strong LGBT scene is a plus, I am straight but I have good friends who are LGBT, LGBT people are not judgmental, they are smart.
Dating wise, it would be nice if Syracuse girls are smart, love nature, tall and fit.
So far, I have the best luck with white girls who like Asian foods and cultures and Asian girls who like traveling and nature. I don't get along so well with most Asian girls, they prefer staying inside all day to have white skin.

My martial art / travel friends are of all colors and cultures ^ ^
I think you would like Westcott then. It is known for its hippy vibe and if you go to Barry Park on a nice day, you can see a range of people at the park. Thornden Park, another park nearby, also has Shakespeare in the Park(is actually going on from August 8-17) and in September, the Westcott Business District shuts down for this festival: Westcott Street Cultural Fair In that district, you can eat at restaurants with Mexican, Latin Caribbean, Indian, Chinese, Italian, Japanese and Middle Eastern flavors. There's also an African Dance studio, a couple of cafes(with one in a bike shop), a diner, a consignment shop, a florist, a frame store, a neighborhood bar, a liquor store, a pastry shop, a formal dress store and a theater with live bands. Down to the south a few blocks is a Co-OP food market too. There's also a library. You wouldn't think all of those things are there, but it is a very dense area. I also think a nearby church offers yoga and the Westcott Community Center has a Farmer Market on Wednesday's during the warmer months.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-04-2014 at 07:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2014, 07:32 PM
 
65 posts, read 93,373 times
Reputation: 50
will plan to do a road trip there in late Sep for the fair then ^ ^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2014, 09:42 PM
 
Location: Auburn, New York
1,775 posts, read 2,513,264 times
Reputation: 2935
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelMartialArtist View Post
will plan to do a road trip there in late Sep for the fair then ^ ^
While in New York, you may want to check out Buffalo, Rochester, Ithaca, and Albany too. They are all offer something a little different, and some may appeal to your personality better than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2014, 05:38 AM
 
56,637 posts, read 80,930,134 times
Reputation: 12509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
While in New York, you may want to check out Buffalo, Rochester, Ithaca, and Albany too. They are all offer something a little different, and some may appeal to your personality better than others.
I especially agree with Ithaca, which also has a high Asian population, is diverse and is known for its liberal vibe. Each of the other cities have their areas of the city that would fit like Elmwood Village, North Buffalo and Allentown in Buffalo, the SE Quadrant in Rochester and the Center Square/Delaware Ave areas of Albany. You may even like Downtown Troy or Upper Union in Schenectady in the Albany-Schnectady-Troy metro too. Will say that even Utica and Binghamton have Vietnamese and other Asian communities due to being refugee centers and local colleges/universities. Both also get other refugees and are relatively diverse as well. Binghamton's West Side south of Main Street into southern Johnson City and South or North Utica would be the best choices in those cities/areas, with Vestal and New Hartford being suburbs that have notable/good sized Asian populations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2014, 07:46 AM
 
56,637 posts, read 80,930,134 times
Reputation: 12509
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelMartialArtist View Post
Warm and more snow sounds much better to me ^ ^
Plus, the area has many ski areas nearby, if you are into that or want to try that out. There's ice skating at Clinton Square in Downtown, as well as at some local rinks and if you like to shop, it does have the 6th biggest shopping mall in the US in DestinyUSA. The Adirondacks, Poconos and Catskills are within an hour and a half away and there are quite a few lakefront beaches.

It can snow everyday in the winter, but there has also been some relatively milder winters in recent years as well.

Just to throw another place/area out there, but Burlington VT may also work. Its COL may be a little on the high side, but it may also work. Winooski and Burlington both have Vietnamese communities and there is a Chinese community in Burlington and South Burlington.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-05-2014 at 07:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top