U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 08:24 AM

173 posts, read 197,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelMartialArtist View Post
I am Asian male, 29, currently work as phone interpreter so I can relocate to any place that have low CoL.
I wanna move to somewhere that have beautiful nature, fresh local foods, friendly and diverse community.

I love nature, I spend most weekends in a practice martial art (Yiquan) in a park, hiking a trail or swimming in a lake.
Culturally, I read manga, play StarCraft and LoL, I can speak the languages and am familiar with Chinese, Vietnamese cultures. I love having pot lucks and couchsurf with non materialistic people from all walks of life.

I am thinking about relocating to a friendly neighborhood near St. Paul, MN or Seattle, WA. Both places seem to have a vibrant and progressive community, a big enough Asian population, and close to beautiful beaches and mountains. Seattle can be rainy and expensive , St. Paul has harsh winter, but I don't know any better place.

Would you kindly share your knowledge and give me some suggestions?
Seattle has very high cost of living and i think parts of Minnesota do too. I live in Baton Rouge, Louisiana (hour from New Orleans) and we have quite a large Asian population here. Authentic Vietnamese and Thai restaurants can be found on almost every street. Since this is a port city (sort of), many Asian families come here to be fisherman as well. You would probably find a lot of interpreter work in hospitals here if you wanted extra work other than the phone job too. Cost of living is very low here, it's only $700 a month for my large 2 bedroom apartment. Only thing thats bad is the high heat and humidity....average high of 93 in July/August with humidity levels in the 80's and 90's. But if you don't mind heat, I highly recommend living here. Good food and cultural activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 08:56 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,311,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Well, the air and water is certainly clean in both cities. Minneapolis just spent millions building one of the most advanced water filtration systems in the country. And Skaneateles Lake, where Syracuse gets its water, is so clean, the water doesn't even need to be filtered.

Yes, in Syracuse it snows almost everyday in the winter, but it's usually light, fluffy, and easy to shovel.

Syracuse is a lot snowier than Minneapolis, but Minneapolis is a lot colder than Syracuse. While it snows almost everyday in Syracuse, it goes near or below 0 F nearly every night in Minneapolis. Syracuse only sees 0 F a few times a years.
Below 0 every night? No, not even close. It can be cold, but not THAT cold. Last winter was an extreme just like a few winters ago when it rarely got below zero and there wasn't a month that averaged below freezing all winter. By and large the typical average winter temps for Dec, Jan and Feb are in the mid/upper 20's.

Cold, but not quite arctic.

I didn't catch your cultural background but the Twin Cities have a fairly high concentration of SE Asians -- particularly Hmong, Laoatians, Thai and Vietnamese (but specifically Hmong -- I believe St. Paul may be the Hmong capital of the country, or tied with Fresno). My understanding is that the Seattle area has far more of a Chinese, Japanese and Vietnamese Asian population, but I could be wrong about that. Perhaps that information could help you understand where you may find a better fit as well.

Last edited by Min-Chi-Cbus; 08-05-2014 at 09:04 AM..

Old 08-05-2014, 09:06 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,311,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmcgrath View Post
Seattle has very high cost of living and i think parts of Minnesota do too.
The Twin Cities have average cost of living conditions. I'm not sure why there is this notion that it's expensive to live there but in most measures of COL standards it's pretty average (housing, food, medical, education, etc.).

Old 08-05-2014, 09:59 AM

3,458 posts, read 4,004,613 times
Some great recommendations so far. I think a few New England towns should hit your list as well. Not sure how large an Asian community you desire, but these seem to meet your criteria pretty well:

Northampton, MA
Amherst, MA
Burlington, VT
Portland, ME

All affordable by New England standards. Progressive clean air and Green energy standards. Vibrant local food scenes that are very loyal to local restaurants and farmers. Finally progressive and open minded population.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:36 PM

649 posts, read 981,125 times
Avoid states like Maine and New Hampshire. The biggest racist I know is from New Hampshire and Maine (by the border) and she has an army of Harley-riding, bandana wearing redneck friends who are racist against all minorities, in particular Asians. All of them look poor as well. They look like they didn't finish high school and have never traveled out of the radius of two states.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:46 PM

649 posts, read 981,125 times
One of them even said "yeah USA yeah" after his racial slurs to my friend. It has to be seen and heard to be believed. It felt dream-like. We couldn't believe it was real. Lol.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:19 PM

65 posts, read 93,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmcgrath View Post
Seattle has very high cost of living and i think parts of Minnesota do too. I live in Baton Rouge, Louisiana (hour from New Orleans) and we have quite a large Asian population here. Authentic Vietnamese and Thai restaurants can be found on almost every street. Since this is a port city (sort of), many Asian families come here to be fisherman as well. You would probably find a lot of interpreter work in hospitals here if you wanted extra work other than the phone job too. Cost of living is very low here, it's only $700 a month for my large 2 bedroom apartment. Only thing thats bad is the high heat and humidity....average high of 93 in July/August with humidity levels in the 80's and 90's. But if you don't mind heat, I highly recommend living here. Good food and cultural activities.
I agree, Seattle has very high CoL. That's why I have decided to find places that have low CoL and diverse community. The areas around St. Paul, MN, Syracuse, NY and New Orleans, LA all have many things that I like a few things that I don't like so much.
I kinda favor places that are in the north, because I grew up in Vietnam and am kinda bored of living in a tropical place.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Below 0 every night? No, not even close. It can be cold, but not THAT cold. Last winter was an extreme just like a few winters ago when it rarely got below zero and there wasn't a month that averaged below freezing all winter. By and large the typical average winter temps for Dec, Jan and Feb are in the mid/upper 20's.

Cold, but not quite arctic.

I didn't catch your cultural background but the Twin Cities have a fairly high concentration of SE Asians -- particularly Hmong, Laoatians, Thai and Vietnamese (but specifically Hmong -- I believe St. Paul may be the Hmong capital of the country, or tied with Fresno). My understanding is that the Seattle area has far more of a Chinese, Japanese and Vietnamese Asian population, but I could be wrong about that. Perhaps that information could help you understand where you may find a better fit as well.
My cultural background can be a bit complicated ^ ^ i know that. I was born in Vietnam, have lived in China, currently living the IL, USA. I am familiar with contemporary Vietnamese culture and mainstream white American culture of the Mid West, but I don't like them much.
I admire Wang XiangZhai and Nicola Tesla, I am friends with polymaths who are interested in travelling, health, science, psychology and martial art.

I have couchsurfed to the Twin Cities, I like it there, I have been to Seattle airport, life seems to be a bit too expensive / busy there.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
Avoid states like Maine and New Hampshire. The biggest racist I know is from New Hampshire and Maine (by the border) and she has an army of Harley-riding, bandana wearing redneck friends who are racist against all minorities, in particular Asians. All of them look poor as well. They look like they didn't finish high school and have never traveled out of the radius of two states.
yah, I kinda don't like those states, simple because the people who i don't care so much about love it there

Old 08-06-2014, 07:39 PM

56,511 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelMartialArtist View Post
My cultural background can be a bit complicated ^ ^ i know that. I was born in Vietnam, have lived in China, currently living the IL, USA. I am familiar with contemporary Vietnamese culture and mainstream white American culture of the Mid West, but I don't like them much.
I admire Wang XiangZhai and Nicola Tesla, I am friends with polymaths who are interested in travelling, health, science, psychology and martial art.

I have couchsurfed to the Twin Cities, I like it there, I have been to Seattle airport, life seems to be a bit too expensive / busy there.
You may be interested in this too: CNYCS | Central New York Chinese School
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or