U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 02:15 PM

65 posts, read 93,122 times

Advertisements

I am Asian male, 29, currently work as phone interpreter so I can relocate to any place that have low CoL.
I wanna move to somewhere that have beautiful nature, fresh local foods, friendly and diverse community.

I love nature, I spend most weekends in a practice martial art (Yiquan) in a park, hiking a trail or swimming in a lake.
Culturally, I read manga, play StarCraft and LoL, I can speak the languages and am familiar with Chinese, Vietnamese cultures. I love having pot lucks and couchsurf with non materialistic people from all walks of life.

I am thinking about relocating to a friendly neighborhood near St. Paul, MN or Seattle, WA. Both places seem to have a vibrant and progressive community, a big enough Asian population, and close to beautiful beaches and mountains. Seattle can be rainy and expensive , St. Paul has harsh winter, but I don't know any better place.

Would you kindly share your knowledge and give me some suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 02:28 PM

56,516 posts, read 80,824,285 times
I would invite you Syracuse, where we have both Asian communities and much of the other things you are looking for, but I'm not sure if you would like the weather in the winter. If you didn't mind, then I'd suggest this area: UNPA - University Neighborhood Preservation Association

Old 07-31-2014, 02:30 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,122,343 times
Los Angeles, CA, though it's not cheap. I spent my childhood at the beach and went hiking a few times at Will Rogers Park. If you want to go skiing or snowboarding, just take a drive to Big Bear or Mt. Baldy. If you really wanted to see some magnificent nature, you could take a 4-6 hour drive up to Yosemite and the Sequoias. You'll never have a problem finding a local farmers market, not to mention Original Farmers Market on Third and Fairfax. I don't think I need to mention the amount of Asians here, but I will anyway. There are plenty of them here. If you want to, Koreatown, Chinatown and Little Tokyo aren't far from the main city. Little Saigon is in Orange County, though.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I would invite you Syracuse, where we have both Asian communities and much of the other things you are looking for, but I'm not sure if you would like the weather in the winter. If you didn't mind, then I'd suggest this area: UNPA - University Neighborhood Preservation Association
Just to add to this, that area has more of a Chinese and Korean based Asian community due to its proximity to Syracuse University. 13210 Zip Code Population and Races

The Vietnamese/SE Asian community is concentrated on the city's North Side: 13208 Zip Code Population and Races
13203 Zip Code Population and Races
Here's a website for that side of town: Northside UP - The Northside Urban Partnership | Syracuse, NY

Here is some park information: City of Syracuse

http://onondagacountyparks.com/home/fullsite

New York State Parks Recreation & Historic Preservation

Sylvan Beach Tourism | Tourism Events, Hotels, Shops & Restaurants

More info: CNY Regional Market - regional market, syracuse regional market, farmers market syracuse, regional market syracuse ny, cny regional market, syracuse flea market
https://m.facebook.com/syracuseeasts...le.com%2F&_rdr
Syracuse Real Food Coop

There are also quite a few Asian markets and restaurants, as well as great supermarkets including Wegmans.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-31-2014 at 06:33 PM..

Old 07-31-2014, 07:15 PM

@theraven24 thx for telling about LA. LA is a good place to visit, but I would not live there. Housing is just so expensive for my taste, it is crowded and I don't wanna feel like a foreigner there because I don't speak Espanol. I will surely check out all the place you recommend, whenever I am in CA.

@ckhthankgod wow I am amazed! How did you come up with Syracuse , do you live there ? It seems to be a perfect fit, nature, community, low CoL and everything! Soon, from now until it snows, I would take 1 or 2 weeks off to do a short road trip to Syracuse and St Paul and see how it is like to live at these 2 places and make my decision.

Would go to Seattle when I have a higher paid job, it seems a bit too expensive for me right now.

Thank a lot for helping me ! You really deserve the $500 award!

Old 08-01-2014, 12:19 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,122,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelMartialArtist View Post
@theraven24 thx for telling about LA. LA is a good place to visit, but I would not live there. Housing is just so expensive for my taste, it is crowded and I don't wanna feel like a foreigner there because I don't speak Espanol. I will surely check out all the place you recommend, whenever I am in CA.

@ckhthankgod wow I am amazed! How did you come up with Syracuse , do you live there ? It seems to be a perfect fit, nature, community, low CoL and everything! Soon, from now until it snows, I would take 1 or 2 weeks off to do a short road trip to Syracuse and St Paul and see how it is like to live at these 2 places and make my decision.

Would go to Seattle when I have a higher paid job, it seems a bit too expensive for me right now.

Not everyone in California is a Mexican. That stereotype is tired. It's rare to find someone who doesn't speak ANY English at all in Los Angeles.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:42 AM

@raven24
i know that most Mexicans can speak decent English, i used to work with them, i still play / teach the Mexican kids in the neighborhood martial arts. It is just a joke, I meant there are a lot of Mexicans in CA and i don't feel like learning Spanish yet.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:37 PM

677 posts, read 807,845 times
Quote:
I am Asian male, 29, currently work as phone interpreter so I can relocate to any place that have low CoL.
I wanna move to somewhere that have beautiful nature, fresh local foods, friendly and diverse community.

I love nature, I spend most weekends in a practice martial art (Yiquan) in a park, hiking a trail or swimming in a lake.
Culturally, I read manga, play StarCraft and LoL, I can speak the languages and am familiar with Chinese, Vietnamese cultures. I love having pot lucks and couchsurf with non materialistic people from all walks of life.

I am thinking about relocating to a friendly neighborhood near St. Paul, MN or Seattle, WA. Both places seem to have a vibrant and progressive community, a big enough Asian population, and close to beautiful beaches and mountains. Seattle can be rainy and expensive , St. Paul has harsh winter, but I don't know any better place.

Would you kindly share your knowledge and give me some suggestions?
Think about Asheville... natural, progressive, diverse, amazing local food culture...

Old 08-02-2014, 09:25 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,510,289 times
Quote:

I hate to be the downer. Yes, ckhthankgod is very helpful, kind, and smart, and Syracuse does offer a lot, but I used to live there, and it's not for everyone. On the downside, it's extremely gloomy from mid October until early May. Most of the city is extremely rundown. Busted sidewalks, abandoned factories, dilapidated Victorian houses. The decay, coupled with the grey skies, was too much for me. I was depressed all the time. Their public transportation system is horrendous; the bus doesn't even go to the airport. When I lived there, I walked everywhere because it was faster. And, I hate to say it, but it really doesn't offer much in terms of the arts.

If you have a car, don't mind shoveling snow, and don't mind gloom, Syracuse is a fun, diverse, small city with a great farmers market, little stress, and a low cost of living. The area around Syracuse, from the Finger Lakes to the Adirondacks, is absolutely gorgeous. Syracuse could be an amazing place to live for some people, but seriously take to heart the many downsides of Central New York.

Meanwhile, I'd kill to move back to Minneapolis. For me there is no question here. Visit both, but the Twin Cities offer so, so much more.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I hate to be the downer. Yes, ckhthankgod is very helpful, kind, and smart, and Syracuse does offer a lot, but I used to live there, and it's not for everyone. On the downside, it's extremely gloomy from mid October until early May. Most of the city is extremely rundown. Busted sidewalks, abandoned factories, dilapidated Victorian houses. The decay, coupled with the grey skies, was too much for me. I was depressed all the time. Their public transportation system is horrendous; the bus doesn't even go to the airport. When I lived there, I walked everywhere because it was faster. And, I hate to say it, but it really doesn't offer much in terms of the arts.

If you have a car, don't mind shoveling snow, and don't mind gloom, Syracuse is a fun, diverse, small city with a great farmers market, little stress, and a low cost of living. The area around Syracuse, from the Finger Lakes to the Adirondacks, is absolutely gorgeous. Syracuse could be an amazing place to live for some people, but seriously take to heart the many downsides of Central New York.

Meanwhile, I'd kill to move back to Minneapolis. For me there is no question here. Visit both, but the Twin Cities offer so, so much more.
Only things I would differ a bit is that a lot of the industrial areas are rundown, but outer neighborhoods and the bulk of the city east of I-81 is largely solid to very nice. Infrastructure has been an issues at times though.

Expect winter weather more from just after Thanksgiving to late March, give or take a little. Public transportation is best around the University, Downtown and on main streets and the arts for its size is solid, but not openly advertised well. Syracuse Arts Directory I will say that Westcott does have a business district you can walk to with a variety of restaurants, cafés, a library and a theater with live music multiple days a week, among a few other things. It is also within walking/biking distance to the Marshall/Crouse area near the University and hospitals on University Hill: Welcome to University Hill! , as well as shopping on Nottingham Road. So, you would have just about everything right there. There is also a bus line in the neighborhood.

One more thing that you may not know, but while the Hawley-Green area of the North Side is a somewhat gentrified gayborhood, the neighborhood/census tract around Sunnycrest Park in Eastwood has the highest percentage of same sex households in the city(2nd highest in Upstate NY, Ave of the Arts area in Rochester is 1st according to the NY Times census map for 2005-2009, I believe) and Westcott has also had its share LGBT residents due to its proximity to Syracuse University.

With this said, I'd also tell the OP to seriously consider the Twin Cities, but also possibly parts of Philadelphia, Milwaukee, Atlanta and maybe Houston.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-02-2014 at 11:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or