Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 03:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,643 times

Advertisements

What are the main differences aside from population, location and pizza?

Particularly:

Vibe
People
Weather
Crime
Sports
History
Etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 04:47 PM

124 posts, read 238,891 times
Chicago is most American city than NY

Old 07-31-2014, 04:53 PM

603 posts, read 931,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiApple View Post

Particularly:

Vibe
People
Weather
Crime
Sports
History
Etc.
I see you are new to city data forums. Welcome!

Some people are not going to be friendly on your first post. Chicago and New York posts have been done previously and so this might not be warmly received. But since you are new, you didn't know that.

Browse around and try the search feature. There are plenty of threads comparing the two wonderful cities.

And again, welcome!

Old 07-31-2014, 05:11 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiApple View Post

Particularly:

Vibe
People
Weather
Crime
Sports
History
Etc.
Vibe: New York is much more fast pace as things are always on the go.

People: New Yorkers tend be more rude than Chicagoans. New York is more racially diverse city.

Weather: Both aren't great when it comes to weather but Chicago's winters are worst.

Crime: Chicago is a lot more dangerous and has more of a gang culture as well.

Sports:
New York sports fans are more hardcore but Chicago has better all around fans.

History: Chicago has great history but can't match the history of New York City. Not too mention NYC is an older city than Chicago.

Food: Both cities have fantastic cuisine but I would give the edge to NYC as their cuisine is popular all across the country. Everyone tries to make New York style etc.. There's not too many places across the country that caters to Chicago cuisine.

Transportation:
It's not even close, NYC destroys Chicago when it comes mass transit at every level. NYC is really in its own class when it comes to mass transit in this country. Chicago peers are Washington DC, Philly, and maybe even Boston.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:24 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post

People: New Yorkers tend be more rude than Chicagoans. New York is more racially diverse city.

Weather: Both aren't great when it comes to weather but Chicago's winters are worst.

Sports:

History: Chicago has great history but can't match the history of New York City. Not too mention NYC is an older city than Chicago.

Food: Both cities have fantastic cuisine but I would give the edge to NYC as their cuisine is popular all across the country. Everyone tries to make New York style etc.. There's not too many places across the country that caters to Chicago cuisine.

Transportation:
It's not even close, NYC destroys Chicago when it comes mass transit at every level. NYC is really in its own class when it comes to mass transit in this country. Chicago peers are Washington DC, Philly, and maybe even Boston.
Do you really think that? I'm surprised someone from the Philly area would say that (based on your proximity to New York, I assumed you'd know that's an overstated stereotype).

Otherwise, that is a great summary of both.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Do you really think that? I'm surprised someone from the Philly area would say that (based on your proximity to New York, I assumed you'd know that's an overstated stereotype).

Otherwise, that is a great summary of both.
lol. Your making it seem like NYC is one of the friendliest city in the US. That's far from the case. I'm not saying that Chicago is the most friendly utopia built compared to New York, I find people from Chicago less rude. Though I will say New Yorkers are probably more honest, which I understand.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:33 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,651,799 times
Size

Old 07-31-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Size
The OP said besides population differences.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:00 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:

Sports:

Transportation:
Chicago's cuisine is just as popular, as it's predominately the same..

Chicago's mass transit, while not at the level of NYC, is very extensive, and is likely second ONLY to NYC. I live in Boston, and Chicago's would win this contest..

Old 07-31-2014, 07:06 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,651,799 times
Quote:
The OP said besides population differences.
Ok, my bad. Urban density, more diverse, faster pace, and more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.