U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-31-2014, 03:05 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,291 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

What are the main differences aside from population, location and pizza?

Particularly:

Vibe
People
Weather
Crime
Sports
History
Etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-31-2014, 04:47 PM
 
Location: illinois
111 posts, read 199,050 times
Reputation: 103
Chicago is most American city than NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2014, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Austin
596 posts, read 675,696 times
Reputation: 1091
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiApple View Post
What are the main differences aside from population, location and pizza?

Particularly:

Vibe
People
Weather
Crime
Sports
History
Etc.
I see you are new to city data forums. Welcome!

Some people are not going to be friendly on your first post. Chicago and New York posts have been done previously and so this might not be warmly received. But since you are new, you didn't know that.

Browse around and try the search feature. There are plenty of threads comparing the two wonderful cities.

And again, welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2014, 05:11 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,483 posts, read 10,460,458 times
Reputation: 5397
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiApple View Post
What are the main differences aside from population, location and pizza?

Particularly:

Vibe
People
Weather
Crime
Sports
History
Etc.
Vibe: New York is much more fast pace as things are always on the go.

People: New Yorkers tend be more rude than Chicagoans. New York is more racially diverse city.

Weather: Both aren't great when it comes to weather but Chicago's winters are worst.

Crime: Chicago is a lot more dangerous and has more of a gang culture as well.

Sports:
New York sports fans are more hardcore but Chicago has better all around fans.

History: Chicago has great history but can't match the history of New York City. Not too mention NYC is an older city than Chicago.

Food: Both cities have fantastic cuisine but I would give the edge to NYC as their cuisine is popular all across the country. Everyone tries to make New York style etc.. There's not too many places across the country that caters to Chicago cuisine.

Transportation:
It's not even close, NYC destroys Chicago when it comes mass transit at every level. NYC is really in its own class when it comes to mass transit in this country. Chicago peers are Washington DC, Philly, and maybe even Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2014, 05:24 PM
 
12,642 posts, read 10,487,316 times
Reputation: 17437
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Vibe: New York is much more fast pace as things are always on the go.

People: New Yorkers tend be more rude than Chicagoans. New York is more racially diverse city.

Weather: Both aren't great when it comes to weather but Chicago's winters are worst.

Crime: Chicago is a lot more dangerous and has more of a gang culture as well.

Sports:
New York sports fans are more hardcore but Chicago has better all around fans.

History: Chicago has great history but can't match the history of New York City. Not too mention NYC is an older city than Chicago.

Food: Both cities have fantastic cuisine but I would give the edge to NYC as their cuisine is popular all across the country. Everyone tries to make New York style etc.. There's not too many places across the country that caters to Chicago cuisine.

Transportation:
It's not even close, NYC destroys Chicago when it comes mass transit at every level. NYC is really in its own class when it comes to mass transit in this country. Chicago peers are Washington DC, Philly, and maybe even Boston.
Do you really think that? I'm surprised someone from the Philly area would say that (based on your proximity to New York, I assumed you'd know that's an overstated stereotype).

Otherwise, that is a great summary of both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2014, 06:32 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,483 posts, read 10,460,458 times
Reputation: 5397
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Do you really think that? I'm surprised someone from the Philly area would say that (based on your proximity to New York, I assumed you'd know that's an overstated stereotype).

Otherwise, that is a great summary of both.
lol. Your making it seem like NYC is one of the friendliest city in the US. That's far from the case. I'm not saying that Chicago is the most friendly utopia built compared to New York, I find people from Chicago less rude. Though I will say New Yorkers are probably more honest, which I understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2014, 06:33 PM
 
Location: sumter
8,546 posts, read 5,371,964 times
Reputation: 6590
Size
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2014, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,483 posts, read 10,460,458 times
Reputation: 5397
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Size
The OP said besides population differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2014, 07:00 PM
 
7,592 posts, read 9,444,553 times
Reputation: 8949
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Vibe: New York is much more fast pace as things are always on the go.

People: New Yorkers tend be more rude than Chicagoans. New York is more racially diverse city.

Weather: Both aren't great when it comes to weather but Chicago's winters are worst.

Crime: Chicago is a lot more dangerous and has more of a gang culture as well.

Sports:
New York sports fans are more hardcore but Chicago has better all around fans.

History: Chicago has great history but can't match the history of New York City. Not too mention NYC is an older city than Chicago.

Food: Both cities have fantastic cuisine but I would give the edge to NYC as their cuisine is popular all across the country. Everyone tries to make New York style etc.. There's not too many places across the country that caters to Chicago cuisine.

Transportation:
It's not even close, NYC destroys Chicago when it comes mass transit at every level. NYC is really in its own class when it comes to mass transit in this country. Chicago peers are Washington DC, Philly, and maybe even Boston.
Chicago's cuisine is just as popular, as it's predominately the same..

Chicago's mass transit, while not at the level of NYC, is very extensive, and is likely second ONLY to NYC. I live in Boston, and Chicago's would win this contest..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2014, 07:06 PM
 
Location: sumter
8,546 posts, read 5,371,964 times
Reputation: 6590
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
The OP said besides population differences.
Ok, my bad. Urban density, more diverse, faster pace, and more expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top