U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 11:12 AM

173 posts, read 197,256 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning to move from Louisiana next year because I have been getting too sick from the heat. I work in insurance and my husband is a painter. He would like to get a factory job or another job in construction. What colder US cities have a lot of factory or construction jobs? Looking for northeast or northwest cities preferably
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 11:38 AM

21,180 posts, read 30,336,326 times
I would recommend the Washington DC area, in particular the Northern Virginia area around Dulles Airport west to the VA/WV line along the I-66, Route 7 or US50 corridors which never really slowed down during the recession, and are still going strong for construction and light manufacturing jobs. The cost of living is well below much of the DC area as well.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:10 PM

56,501 posts, read 80,803,243 times
For insurance jobs, areas like Hartford, Central Upstate NY(Syracuse, Binghamton and Utica/Rome), Columbus OH, Omaha and Chicago come to mind. So, it may be a matter of seeing what is available for the hubby in his line of work in these areas or in an area you can find employment in. What else would you look for in a community/area/neighborhood?

Also, is size a factor? I only ask, because a smaller area may have what you are looking for. For an example, these positions are in the same county as this small city: https://preferredmutual.com/HR/Careers.aspx

Current Employment Opportunities - The Raymond Corporation

City of Norwich New York
Norwich, NY Community Videos - Welcome

Old 08-02-2014, 01:15 PM

My husband and I tend to like living in cities rather than rural or suburban areas. We would be renting apartments until we can save up money for a down payment on a house. We are pretty low key and mostly enjoy going to the movies, and we love eating at Vietnamese or Thai restaurants. I'm 23 and my husband is 33, so an area with some nightlife would be nice too, but nothing too crazy/wild. We are renting a two bedroom apt for $700 here in Louisiana, so we could afford anything between $600 to $850 for a one or two bedroom apt.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmcgrath View Post
My husband and I tend to like living in cities rather than rural or suburban areas. We would be renting apartments until we can save up money for a down payment on a house. We are pretty low key and mostly enjoy going to the movies, and we love eating at Vietnamese or Thai restaurants. I'm 23 and my husband is 33, so an area with some nightlife would be nice too, but nothing too crazy/wild. We are renting a two bedroom apt for $700 here in Louisiana, so we could afford anything between $600 to $850 for a one or two bedroom apt.
It isn't an area or city that gets mentioned on the forums in its state, but a small city that comes to mind is Utica NY. I only mention it for these reasons: it has a few insurance companies, it has a Vietnamese community, it has rentals in that range, there are some manufacturing jobs or perhaps some other jobs your husband could do and it should enough to keep you entertained. I'd suggest South Utica or North Utica. Here's some information: Careers at Utica National | Utica National Insurance Group
https://www.uticafirst.com/careerops.html
Commercial Travelers | Mutual Insurance Company
Liberty Mutual

https://www.hrapply.com/hphood/AppJobList.jsp (Oneida and Vernon are close by)
Revere Careers | Revere Copper
Oneida Indian Nation | Employment
Finishing Technician job Rome New York apply online

http://m.yelp.com/biz/pho-mekong-house-of-noodles-utica
Noodle House Utica, NY - The Lotus Garden

Utica Apartments and Rentals - Walk Score
http://hillsidegardenapts.com(very nice village that blends in with South Utica)
Longley Jones Management Corp. - Apartments - Standard Apartment Housing - Utica/Rome - Candlewyck Apartments
Mobile Site Preview
1 and 2 Bedroom Townhouses and Apartments for Sale, New Hartford, NY
Utica Hillcrest Manor : : About Us

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-02-2014 at 02:10 PM..

Old 08-02-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It isn't an area or city that gets mentioned on the forums in its state, but a small city that comes to mind is Utica NY. I only mention it for these reasons: it has a few insurance companies, it has a Vietnamese community, it has rentals in that range, there are some manufacturing jobs or perhaps some other jobs your husband could do and it should enough to keep you entertained. I'd suggest South Utica or North Utica. Here's some information: Careers at Utica National | Utica National Insurance Group
https://www.uticafirst.com/careerops.html
Commercial Travelers | Mutual Insurance Company
Liberty Mutual

https://www.hrapply.com/hphood/AppJobList.jsp (Oneida and Vernon are close by)
Revere Careers | Revere Copper
Oneida Indian Nation | Employment
Finishing Technician job Rome New York apply online

http://m.yelp.com/biz/pho-mekong-house-of-noodles-utica
Noodle House Utica, NY - The Lotus Garden

Utica Apartments and Rentals - Walk Score
http://hillsidegardenapts.com(very nice village that blends in with South Utica)
Longley Jones Management Corp. - Apartments - Standard Apartment Housing - Utica/Rome - Candlewyck Apartments
Mobile Site Preview
1 and 2 Bedroom Townhouses and Apartments for Sale, New Hartford, NY
Utica Hillcrest Manor : : About Us
Utica looks like a nice place, it certainly fits most of our criteria Only concern is the winters, looks like the average high is only around 30 degrees, yikes!

Old 08-02-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmcgrath View Post
Utica looks like a nice place, it certainly fits most of our criteria Only concern is the winters, looks like the average high is only around 30 degrees, yikes!
If you want milder winters in the Northeast, I'd say to look into cities in PA. Pittsburgh may be worth a look.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:25 AM

21,180 posts, read 30,336,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If you want milder winters in the Northeast, I'd say to look into cities in PA. Pittsburgh may be worth a look.
Yikes, PA winters are not mild...or short of late. I know the OP has offered up some tough criteria though. Given the desire for cooler weather than Louisiana (not too difficult), rentals in the $700-$850 range, a healthy job market, urban setting and a decent restaurant/nightlife scene I would offer up Richmond (VA). I think there's a tendency when one is living in a place with weather extremes to want to move to some place on the other end of the spectrum, only to discover that it's still a similar experience and as a result highly recommend the middle ground of weather moderation (four milder seasons).

Old 08-04-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Yikes, PA winters are not mild...or short of late. I know the OP has offered up some tough criteria though. Given the desire for cooler weather than Louisiana (not too difficult), rentals in the $700-$850 range, a healthy job market, urban setting and a decent restaurant/nightlife scene I would offer up Richmond (VA). I think there's a tendency when one is living in a place with weather extremes to want to move to some place on the other end of the spectrum, only to discover that it's still a similar experience and as a result highly recommend the middle ground of weather moderation (four milder seasons).
Well, given the criteria, that is the milder option. With that said, if they want a more temperate/mild winter, then a place like Richmond or perhaps the I-81 corridor near DC in WV, MD or VA may work.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:42 AM

I was considering Virginia, but it looks like the summers there are still hot. Wikipedia and weather.com show the July and August average as 90, which is only 2 degrees cooler than the average of 92 here in Baton Rouge. What about Conneticut, is the weather mild there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or