Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 06:48 AM

986 posts, read 1,866,317 times

Advertisements

Wondering if you guys have heard this before. I know many cities, states, and countries all have their little reputations and stereotypes, such as "Californians are laid-back" or "New Yorkers are really competitive" or "Russians are cold and uninviting". Have you guys ever heard the stereotype that Americans as a whole are "Rude"? I had never heard this before, but my Danish friend who visited a few months ago was so surprised how many Americans who were strangers to her were so friendly and nice. She said she had always heard that Americans were rude.

I have friends from all over the world but I had never heard this stereotype from any of them before. Do you think it is a distinctly Danish interpretation of our American behavior/attitudes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 07:18 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,700 times
I think a lot of Americans are arrogant about things they don't anything about. Just look at the completely inaccurate misconceptions people on this site have about states outside the coasts or rural areas, but they'll never change their opinion because they already think they know everything there is to know and are right.

So there is a general abrasiveness from dealing with people like that while on the personal level aside from things where they spout uninformed opinions they are pleasant people.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:28 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
New Yorkers have always had a reputation (not really deserved, IMO) for being rude. Perhaps your Danish friend is conflating "American" for "New Yorker."

Old 08-07-2014, 07:31 AM

421 posts, read 556,465 times
I don't think it has anything to do with if american's in general are rude, alot of our customs are very different then the dutch. Things they consider rude are well with in our comfort zone. Like standing close in a line (although try standing in a line in Guatemala, its like a giant hug with 100 strangers).

I think you will find lots of different stereotypes about people from all over, based on local norms.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:33 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
I thought Americans have a rep. among Europeans as being too fake friendly.

I have never heard Europeans call Americans generally rude. Loud, yes. Fake, yes. But not rude.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:44 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post

I have never heard Europeans call Americans generally rude. Loud, yes. Fake, yes. But not rude.
What is being "fake friendly" anyways? Is it acting appropriately and putting a smile on your face when you speak to somebody you're just meeting? Or do Americans in Europe go around and sit right next to a stranger and start talking to them like they've known each other for decades?

Old 08-07-2014, 07:58 AM

986 posts, read 1,866,317 times
Quote:

Yes, this is what I always thought as well.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:02 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
What is being "fake friendly" anyways? Is it acting appropriately and putting a smile on your face when you speak to somebody you're just meeting? Or do Americans in Europe go around and sit right next to a stranger and start talking to them like they've known each other for decades?
It's stuff like in the U.S., if you go to the store, they will say "How is your day" or "Have a great day". In most parts of Europe, they would think you're crazy if a stranger is asking about your day.

Also, Americans tend to smile a lot, and say everything is "great" and "super". In much of Europe, they will think you're off your meds if you're walking around grinning and talking about how everything is "super". It's just a different mentality, IMO.

Or I have had Europeans comment on how Americans act like you're someone's best friend after meeting them for 10 minutes. Or how people say "let's touch base sometime" or "lets exchange numbers", or "stop by anytime" even though you just met. In Germany, for example, people are very private, and you don't get invited to someone's home until there is a certain level of familiarity.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:56 AM

421 posts, read 556,465 times
Totally what Nola said. Its really based on customs, what different communities accept as the norm. We see it here in a smaller scale. Like people from minnesota aren't friendly. Well I bet they think they are plenty friendly, but some of them have customs different then say people in texas. Its human to place broad generalizations, although not accurate.

In all cases its people failing to get to know eachother for who they are and accept eachothers boundaries or comfort zones.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:15 AM

165 posts, read 189,660 times
Quote:
It's stuff like in the U.S., if you go to the store, they will say "How is your day" or "Have a great day". In most parts of Europe, they would think you're crazy if a stranger is asking about your day.

Also, Americans tend to smile a lot, and say everything is "great" and "super". In much of Europe, they will think you're off your meds if you're walking around grinning and talking about how everything is "super". It's just a different mentality, IMO.

Or I have had Europeans comment on how Americans act like you're someone's best friend after meeting them for 10 minutes. Or how people say "let's touch base sometime" or "lets exchange numbers", or "stop by anytime" even though you just met. In Germany, for example, people are very private, and you don't get invited to someone's home until there is a certain level of familiarity.
LOL! Not even in the South do we walk around grinning saying that everything is super, while giving our number to someone we've spoken to for 10 minutes. I can't think of anywhere this would apply in the entire US.

Wow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.