U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 08:34 AM

371 posts, read 284,293 times

Advertisements

It's huge. Like Jekyll and Hyde for me. I am a totally different(better) person during the warmer summer months, than the uptight, grumpy person during our 6 months of frozen winter here. Thankfully, I hope to move to a warmer climate this November.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 08:43 AM

351 posts, read 448,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Come on - DFW has not had a summer so far. Temps barely made it into the 90s, regular rain and windy as usual. Last week we had to turn the heater on because the hot tub was too cool to use.
I agree that this 2014 summer has been relatively mild compared to past summers, and I did admit that there are a few good weather days in my original post.

The main topic of discussion here is just exactly how weather and climates affect your overall well-being, which is different for most people. But thanks for pointing that out.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:34 AM

173 posts, read 197,363 times
The climate here in Louisiana has absolutely destroyed my happiness and sense of well being. Just moved here in December and my husband and I are planning to move to Washington in less than a year. I've been constantly dehydrated, dry mouth, and stuck inside all day. I used to be able to exercise an hour a day but am now so afraid of sweating and getting more dehydrated that I have to limit exercise to a couple days a week. On top of that, I am so dizzy from the heat that I've had to start working from home, which my employer was not terribly happy about. Can't wait for august to be over and to get outta here!

Old 08-03-2014, 12:00 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,093,728 times
I honestly do not care for snow or cold, gloomy weather. If it snows and is cloudy for like 2-3 days, fine. I liked in Virginia (Newport News area) we would get a bit of snow, could play in it, then it melted away and got warmer (though still being cool). Or somewhere like Atlanta, for wintertime, where it is pretty much the same thing. I just hate when it is very cold and snowy for a long period of time. I prefer the weather in spring up here, where it starts to get warmer and you see an explosion of cherry blossoms or other flowers. Beautiful. Fall is alright too, very pretty. Honestly, I'm more of a beach and summer person. I like being on the beach on a hot day, swimming, laying underneath palm trees, getting tan, etc. I enjoy the thunderstorms, fireflies, cicadas, and the longer days. I even like the humidity a bit: I am not a fan of dry oven-like heat that you would find in Phoenix or Las Vegas.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:28 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,982,771 times
I am a sunshine and warmth junkie and I need it a lot more than I get here in Portland.

My ideal: 80 to upper-90's, with sunny springs and long summer season. I grew up in dry but can handle a little bit of humidity. I hate cold and am not a winter person at all.

While I don't care for triple-digits anymore, I would rather tolerate that than gray cool gloom. I not only feel physically better in sun and warmth, it helps me mentally, too.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:51 PM

9,268 posts, read 5,768,041 times
My climate is pretty good for outdoor activity and sport, I guess

Old 08-03-2014, 02:05 PM

4,934 posts, read 7,593,436 times
I'm your typical fully acclimated to this mild climate coastal southern Californian and pretty well shut down in humid weather- I honestly don't see how people survive it. I will be literally drenched with sweat and totally miserable not even doing a moderate activity while others around me in far more clothes are seemingly unscathed and acting like this is tolerable weather to do regular activities in. So I would say in that regard the weather/climate totally affects my lifestyle and well being. I would be absolutely miserable anywhere down south, Houston area and most of the East for its notoriously humid summers.

I can handle the cold, actually like it and choose to vacation in places like Maine in February (of course vacationing is one thing- living through it entirely something else) and while I love rain (because it is so rare here) I'm not sure if I would be able to handle the gloom and drizzle of the PNW. Ideally a wet El Niño year with over 20" of rain (twice the average- four times what we've gotten the last three consecutive years) makes San Diego weather perfect for me- I'm pretty well joyous at a real rainy day- otherwise the sunshine is a little unrelenting but the temperature and low humidity is ideal.

I'm praying for a very wet El Niño this year and I'll be very happy!

Old 08-03-2014, 02:29 PM

790 posts, read 1,051,731 times
Michigan is very depressing in the fall/winter time. A lot of cloud cover, little sun. That's why there are a lot of snowbirds who go south for the winter and back home in the summer.

I had a psychiatrist recommend taking a week-long vacation to some place sunny during the winter (if you can afford it) to get help with Season Affect Disorder and just soak up some sun and get out. Apparently, one of the other psychiatrists in the office does that every year and that works wonders for his mood.

I love the four seasons, but fall and winter are the roughest part of the year for me because of the limited sun exposure.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:26 PM

4,229 posts, read 5,693,734 times
I live in Florida AND work outside so my off time is spent in hibernation for nine months. Heat, sunshine and humidity is the trilateral of evil for me, so I'm pretty depressed most of the year. There's a reason why Florida attracts and produces so many lunatics and sociopaths.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:48 PM

601 posts, read 711,087 times
Absolutely. I moved from Louisiana and the heat/humidity was unbearable. I love heavy snowfalls, cool summers, don't mind the rain, and really appreciate the few sunny days we have. I enjoy 4 seasons, though spring/fall are fairly limited here I found the deep South summers to be oppressive and depressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.