U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 10:00 PM

7,816 posts, read 12,321,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Which city in Louisiana are you in? I visited St. Tammany Parish and Biloxi for two months during the summer and must say it was the best weather I've experienced in the U.S. so far. I'm from around Los Angeles, been all over the West Coast and the Rockies, but coastal Louisiana and Mississippi was the only time I have gone east of the Rockies.

I envy the Gulf Coast summers. Even at sunrise, it's at least 75 degrees, warm enough to sit on the porch in a t-shirt, shorts, and sandals. And it never gets above 100 degrees because of the moderating maritime influence. The copious rain keeps everything wonderfully lush and forested even during the heat of the summer. And just when it gets too hot, the rain cools everything off by 20 degrees.

Over in California, every summer goes by without a drop of rain. No kidding. The coastal areas are foggy and mild, but just an hour's drive inland you'll find cities where the temps often exceed 100 degrees, and because of the rainless summers, there's not even a snowball's chance in hell that any rain or even cloud cover will moderate the heat. Then, those 100 degree days turn into chilly 55-60 degree nights. That's why I've always had to bundle up to watch 4th of July fireworks in California!
I grew up outside New Orleans in Metairie, and now live outside of Baton Rouge in Livingston Parish. I think we have a perfect winter that's short but still gets chilly enough to turn the heat on and enjoy a hot tub sometimes and then it gets warm again.

"Boring" nice weather to me would be the Florida Keys where its always perfect but the leaves/vegetation doesn't change color much year round.

South Carolina and Georgia also have nice weather though their winters are a bit colder and longer than Louisiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 10:15 PM

3,768 posts, read 2,554,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
I'm a warm weather person. I don't want to deal with snotty nose and shoveling snow.
Right?! I'm still trying to figure out if we have a "cold" season here people don't seem to get more sick around this time of year. 50s at night, and 70s during the day is something I can live with forever!!!

Old 01-08-2019, 07:59 PM

2,895 posts, read 2,006,049 times
I enjoy year round warm weather, which is exactly what I get in Miami...and I’m not one of those who treats humidity as if it is like The Forbidden Zone from the original Planet of the Apes. You sweat more in the summer but where I live (there are many microclimates in Miami) we get breezes in the summer that acts like a natural fan and I have no problem being outdoors for extended periods (contrast that with the “dry heat” of Vegas or Phoenix where I run the risk of a dehydration headache if I am outdoors more than 20 minutes)....November 1 through mid June (7.5 months) is arguably the best in the country. The majority of rain we get during the year are passing thunderstorms that are gone after 30 minutes. Also love the warm ocean that I can go in year round.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:38 AM

1,505 posts, read 522,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Right?! I'm still trying to figure out if we have a "cold" season here people don't seem to get more sick around this time of year. 50s at night, and 70s during the day is something I can live with forever!!!
50s at night is still warmer than usual for SoCal.

Down in San Diego a few weeks ago, it was in the low 40s or high 30s every night. And it was very damp and windy, so it felt colder than it actually was.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:11 PM

2,696 posts, read 986,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I enjoy year round warm weather, which is exactly what I get in Miami...and I’m not one of those who treats humidity as if it is like The Forbidden Zone from the original Planet of the Apes. You sweat more in the summer but where I live (there are many microclimates in Miami) we get breezes in the summer that acts like a natural fan and I have no problem being outdoors for extended periods (contrast that with the “dry heat” of Vegas or Phoenix where I run the risk of a dehydration headache if I am outdoors more than 20 minutes)....November 1 through mid June (7.5 months) is arguably the best in the country. The majority of rain we get during the year are passing thunderstorms that are gone after 30 minutes. Also love the warm ocean that I can go in year round.

You live on Miami Beach or say, Brickell? Is the humidity mitigated by the breeze in both places? Asking for a friend who is Miami-curious...

Old 01-09-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNomad View Post
The whole Weather & Climate thing; how does it impact your physical and mental well being?

Hot & very Humid weather cause me to be irritable, and uncomfortable. I currently live in Dallas-Ft. Worth metroplex due to my job, and was in Houston prior to that. The significant moisture combined with heat literally drains my energy level.

I realized that mild temperatures (60-85, with dew points 60 or less) and natural appeal (ocean, mountains, rolling hills, etc.) make me feel more energetic, I have higher levels of physical activity (especially outdoors) and a much better attitude overall. I previously lived in a area which was full of natural beauty, mountains, outdoor activities, drier climate and I felt great.

We have a few good weather days, and I enjoy working here, but I'm not a fan of living here for the weather and despite a fairly good economy, I don't find the DFW all that thrilling nor terribly boring either (considering other places I've lived prior to here).

Though the economy is doing pretty good here, and cost of living is favorable, I'm considering a possible move in the near future.
Actually, very dry heat drains my energy, especially since all vegetation has dried up and shriveled due to the dryness. The heat and humidity and omnipresent forests, bayous, and greenery I experienced in coastal Louisiana for two months energized me.

Old 01-09-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
50s at night is still warmer than usual for SoCal.

Down in San Diego a few weeks ago, it was in the low 40s or high 30s every night. And it was very damp and windy, so it felt colder than it actually was.
That's the point, the past couple of weeks have been a little too cold for me the 40s is a no go. Makes me actually miss Florida weather lol atleast South Florida.

Old 01-09-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Miami weather sounds great right now SoCal winters can get chilly every night!

Old 01-09-2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNomad View Post
I can understand this...perhaps I too, need to take a look at coastal California.
Dream on! Coastal California is insanely expensive. Inland California is cheaper but gets much hotter than coastal California. Inland California summers make summers on the Gulf Coast seem like a cakewalk.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:45 AM

2,895 posts, read 2,006,049 times
Humidity is not mitigated, but I do not have a problem nor feel it as much IF / when you get a breeze (all but 5-10 days out of the year). I really only notice the humidity when I lie by the pool and sweat quite a bit after 15 minutes. I am recently retired and worked from home prior, so I cannot relate to someone who has to wear a suit.

I live in Brickell. I am an originally from NY but I moved here from San Diego. Don’t laugh, but I actually prefer the Miami climate. The heat is mitigated in Brickell because of the breezes off of Biscayne Bay and the tall buildings which provide shade. The summers are tolerable, bordering on outright enjoyable, as a result. Brickell seems more cooler than Miami Beach (less tall buildings) and definitely much more comfortable than inland. Any one day is not that awful where you cannot go outside; rather it has more to do with 90 consecutive days (starting in mid July) that can grind on some, which is why I usually take a vacation or two during the summer months.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
You live on Miami Beach or say, Brickell? Is the humidity mitigated by the breeze in both places? Asking for a friend who is Miami-curious...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.