U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 10:47 PM

351 posts, read 449,037 times

Advertisements

The whole Weather & Climate thing; how does it impact your physical and mental well being?

Hot & very Humid weather cause me to be irritable, and uncomfortable. I currently live in Dallas-Ft. Worth metroplex due to my job, and was in Houston prior to that. The significant moisture combined with heat literally drains my energy level.

I realized that mild temperatures (60-85, with dew points 60 or less) and natural appeal (ocean, mountains, rolling hills, etc.) make me feel more energetic, I have higher levels of physical activity (especially outdoors) and a much better attitude overall. I previously lived in a area which was full of natural beauty, mountains, outdoor activities, drier climate and I felt great.

We have a few good weather days, and I enjoy working here, but I'm not a fan of living here for the weather and despite a fairly good economy, I don't find the DFW all that thrilling nor terribly boring either (considering other places I've lived prior to here).

Though the economy is doing pretty good here, and cost of living is favorable, I'm considering a possible move in the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 11:10 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,515,284 times
I enjoy rainy and cloudy weather, that's why I moved back to the Northwest. As a kid in Oregon, I could not stand the constant grey, but once I moved to California, I realised how much I missed it. The constant sun and heat just got old after awhile. Last week, we had some rain here in Seattle and I felt so in my element, and so many flashbacks to my childhood in Oregon. Sun and heat are fine every once in awhile, but I prefer it to be just that, once in awhile. I really can't wait till September/October comes and the weather can go back to normal.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:29 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,437,888 times
I like the Southern California hot and dry climate. Need the solar energy, and I can function in heat. Humidity sucks the life out of me, even at lower temperatures.

I've lived in a 4-season climate, and it was really a struggle to deal with weather that can vary wildly from day to day. It was easier to count the passing years with the seasons, and once in a while I miss the blanketing quiet of a thick snowfall, but overall, the weather there was weathering me.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:49 PM

13,236 posts, read 24,424,164 times
I think that I think it affects me more than it actually does.

I like cool weather with a light breeze. I like a moderate amount of thickness in the air, not bone dry, nor really humid. I want the air to have a pleasant smell to it.

I like heavy snowfalls. I like the snow sticking around for awhile. I like a little light rain, I like some clouds.

The only thing I'm not fond of is warm/hot sunny days. It gets me more down than a cool overcast day would.

The weird thing is, when people complain about it being hot, I notice it's not bothering me as much as it's bothering others.

I know this. I'd rather live somewhere that has a snowy winter over somewhere that does not. I prefer few, if any 100+F days, and I don't necessarily care if I see the sun or not.

Old 08-03-2014, 02:09 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,207,531 times
I enjoy all 4 seasons with low humidity and lots of sunshine. Cold and sunny in the winter, mild but sunny summers. Climates like Flagstaff, Salt Lake and Denver (lived there for 3 years) are perfect IMO. In Denver I snowboarded all winter then mountain biked and raced motorcycles all summer. It was great!!!!!

Old 08-03-2014, 02:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,646 times
I live in Flagstaff now and we are highly considering Connecticut! I do love the cool evenings and dry winters but the altitude in murder unless you're in your 20's. A third of the population here is on night time C-PAP therapy and I've never lived anywhere in the US that has soooo many people on oxygen. We moved here from Dallas and were so happy to be out of the humidity. The down side is waking in the middle of the night with your mouth so dry that your tongue has hardened in your mouth and you can't muster enough saliva to moisten your mouth. Nose bleeds that are common when you blow your nose and your fingers will crack and even bleed from the dryness. The hardest part of living here is the people. I've lived here 7 years and I don't have a single friend. Back in Dallas I had friends in the hundreds! Everyone here has their own soapbox to stand on and there are so many people who are homeless by choice because they hate authority and like living off the grid. Hippies are the norm and to see someone wearing a suit and tie is news worthy! The Mormons wear ties but don't don the jackets. When you see the white shirts with ties you know it's a Mormon knocking on doors. Pro- is there are no roaches to crawl across your face in the night. Con- the spiders are as big as Voltswagons and no one wants you to kill them! The only good spider is a dead one, IMO!

We still want to move to Connecticut because we feel we are more suited for the lifestyles there. Love the lakes, Ocean, Historic houses and history of the land. I miss real rain! We are in our monsoon season and we get about 6 weeks of a little rain and then NOTHING, not a drop for 7-8 months! Here we get 5 minutes of hard rain and then the sky is blue again. I love the crisp blue skies but come on..... Everyone needs a gloomy rainy day at least once every few weeks. I lived near Seattle, Washington a few years and they take gloomy to a whole new level.

Old 08-03-2014, 04:41 AM

2,343 posts, read 2,751,604 times
Weather/climate is probably the single biggest factor that determines where I choose to live. I grew up in Houston, and never did adjust to the heat and humidity there. Even as a kid, when that was all I knew, it just felt unnatural and extremely uncomfortable to me. I would count down the months until winter, which was all too brief in Houston. I moved away just as soon as I could, mainly for that reason. For me, it doesn't matter how great a job is, or how much fun a place is, if the weather sucks. And the older I get, this just becomes even more important. Hot and humid... or even hot and dry, just makes me miserable. I now live in the inland Northwest, in Northeast Washington, and the climate here is ideal for me. Four seasons, low humidity, but not so low that it's desert-dry... short summers, beautiful fall colors, and winters that get cold, but not too cold (ie. nothing like the upper Midwest or Northern New England), and just enough precipitation so that there's neither too much rain nor too much sun. The perfect balance for me.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:19 AM

351 posts, read 449,037 times
I'm glad to hear that i'm not alone when it comes to how the climate can affect your overall well being. I've noticed that when i travel to other places with a more desirable climate, i'm in much better spirits and healthier. I'll admit that moving from Houston to DFW was a relief, weather-wise. However, I didn't know much about Houston or DFW weather prior to moving here, and again, though the economy is healthy, i'm willing to pay a higher COL for a better climate so i can get back to living my desired lifestyle.

My associates say i'm crazy for wanting to leave DFW, & "The Great State of Texas" but after 4 years of giving it a try, and exploring the entire state, i'm just not happy here. As for life in the DFW, acquiring material things, and a 4,000 square ft McMansion with crazy utility bills just isn't important to me. I live a humble, modest life and have learned to appreciate what nature has to offer, including a better climate than this.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:40 AM

596 posts, read 676,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNomad View Post
The whole Weather & Climate thing; how does it impact your physical and mental well being?

Hot & very Humid weather cause me to be irritable, and uncomfortable. I currently live in Dallas-Ft. Worth metroplex due to my job, and was in Houston prior to that. The significant moisture combined with heat literally drains my energy level.

I realized that mild temperatures (60-85, with dew points 60 or less) and natural appeal (ocean, mountains, rolling hills, etc.) make me feel more energetic, I have higher levels of physical activity (especially outdoors) and a much better attitude overall. I previously lived in a area which was full of natural beauty, mountains, outdoor activities, drier climate and I felt great.

We have a few good weather days, and I enjoy working here, but I'm not a fan of living here for the weather and despite a fairly good economy, I don't find the DFW all that thrilling nor terribly boring either (considering other places I've lived prior to here).

Though the economy is doing pretty good here, and cost of living is favorable, I'm considering a possible move in the near future.
I could have written this post myself. I live in Austin now and feel the exact same way as you. I previously lived in Salt Lake before this.

I ditto everything above but put Austin in place of Dallas.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:29 AM

13,239 posts, read 17,779,749 times
Come on - DFW has not had a summer so far. Temps barely made it into the 90s, regular rain and windy as usual. Last week we had to turn the heater on because the hot tub was too cool to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.