Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2014, 03:54 PM

642 posts, read 2,545,367 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I am going to sell my home around san bernardino in 12 months or so. My daughter and her fiance living in oregon are excited for me to pick a place so we can all be together again in the same area. So I am not only wanting a place with culture and things to do and a dry climate for severe allergies. But a local that is also good for young families.
I do worry about the water issue in california.
I will be staying in the city I choose for at least a couple decades so I will be a senior there. With ability to get help at a military base that is a big thing for me to be able to get to one. I like to be able to have some snow in the winter and warmth in the summer. But my real requirement is liberal, artistic and able to get to a lake/pool and festivals. I also would love to be around a university. If I cannot have some snow to be able to get into a truck and drive there in a day would be great :-) a job would be in customer service but I have another income so its not a particular concern.
Oh yes and very dog friendly! House prices around 250 to 325 thousand but of course less is nice. With room.for gramdkids of course! And a pool.
For my kids they would like to go to school, have less prejudice then they have found in oregon (they are mexican), and a place they can raise kids with fun things to do. Also to be able to have plentiful jobs and affordable living.
Any help would be greatly appreciated and I am looking forward to your input. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 03:59 PM

Oops I firgot to add one of my favorite things to do is go on long walks and see the sights. As when I was in momterey ca. I would walk during the day for 7 or 8 miles. But I cannot afford monterey

Old 08-07-2014, 04:05 PM

50,402 posts, read 36,035,369 times
Why don't you just rent for a year or even less and see how you like it? I cannot even imagine committing to a home for possibly the rest of my life without trying the area first.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:22 PM

Well I am going to make a couple driving trips out and I could rent for awhile in vegas but really need the input to see which places are a definite yes. Rather then wasting the gas and money.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:34 PM

4,620 posts, read 12,245,820 times
I moved from the bay area where I grew up to Reno, NV and love it. Vegas would be nice, but you stay inside in the Summer instead of Winter. I don't work for a paycheck any longer, but my neighbors all have jobs.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:00 PM

Thank you for the feed back. How far do I drive in nevada to get to snow? And is it very hard to have a pool especially above ground in vegas and abq?

Old 08-07-2014, 09:08 PM

Can I also put this in other categories?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.