U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2014, 06:31 PM

1 posts, read 876 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend (age 30) and I (age 28) are looking for a place where we can finally settle down and establish roots. We are having a very hard time finding a place that is right for us! I am originally from Houston, which I consider WAY too massive/crowded/humid/hot. My boyfriend is from southern Illinois, which he finds WAY too boring with unpleasant weather. We just moved from Austin, TX (which we enjoyed, but was turning into another version of Dallas, had a ridiculously difficult housing market to get into, and had lost much of what made it "weird"). We got tired of the heat and it was also overcrowded. We are now in Superior, CO (on a temporary lease until we figure out where we want to go). The main problem we face right now is housing prices. We have scoped out various neighborhoods in Denver and only found one we liked (Washington Park area) that is quite out of our range. We also love Boulder, but again- WAY too expensive. We are open to cities/states anywhere in the country.

Please help us find the city that is right for us!

Wants:
*4 seasons (we are okay with snow- we snowboard!)
*Activity (we need access to hiking/biking trails!)
*Restaurants (we love to go out to eat and HATE chain restaurants)
*Unique homes (we do NOT like cookie-cutter homes/neighborhoods)
*Affordable housing (we want single family home options [that are not out in the suburbs] that are under $350k) // we want to be able to rent a house/duplex/ or townhome (no apartments!) for under $1600/month.

Note: I am a teacher so I can work anywhere. My boyfriend is a software engineer who works remotely so he can also work anywhere. The job market is not an issue for us!

Thank you for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 07:49 PM

56,736 posts, read 81,038,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam546 View Post
My boyfriend (age 30) and I (age 28) are looking for a place where we can finally settle down and establish roots. We are having a very hard time finding a place that is right for us! I am originally from Houston, which I consider WAY too massive/crowded/humid/hot. My boyfriend is from southern Illinois, which he finds WAY too boring with unpleasant weather. We just moved from Austin, TX (which we enjoyed, but was turning into another version of Dallas, had a ridiculously difficult housing market to get into, and had lost much of what made it "weird"). We got tired of the heat and it was also overcrowded. We are now in Superior, CO (on a temporary lease until we figure out where we want to go). The main problem we face right now is housing prices. We have scoped out various neighborhoods in Denver and only found one we liked (Washington Park area) that is quite out of our range. We also love Boulder, but again- WAY too expensive. We are open to cities/states anywhere in the country.

Please help us find the city that is right for us!

Wants:
*Restaurants (we love to go out to eat and HATE chain restaurants)
*Unique homes (we do NOT like cookie-cutter homes/neighborhoods)
*Affordable housing (we want single family home options [that are not out in the suburbs] that are under $350k) // we want to be able to rent a house/duplex/ or townhome (no apartments!) for under $1600/month.

Note: I am a teacher so I can work anywhere. My boyfriend is a software engineer who works remotely so he can also work anywhere. The job market is not an issue for us!

Thank you for any help!
There are options, but the only thing I see that may be an issue is that the state you move to may have had staff cuts at many schools. So, that may be something to consider. With that said, if jobs aren't an issue, you may like the smaller major cities in the Interior Northeast, the cities in the I-81 corridor from MD to TN and maybe the Mountain West like Salt Lake City, Boise and Cheyenne(among others in that region).

In the area I live in, you may like something like this, for an example: Syracuse Real Estate - 304 Spaid, Syracuse, NY, 13210

Is there a city size requirement?

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-03-2014 at 07:57 PM..

Old 08-03-2014, 09:36 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,059,409 times
I'm biased because I live here, but I recommend Des Moines, Iowa because it meets all of your above criteria.

It has 4 seasons. The winters can be brutal and the summers can be unbearable due to the humidity depending on the year. This summer has been really nice. The duration of winter and summer vary from year to year. Some years it snows in May and some summers it's 90s until October. For the winter, it's not the snow that's so bad unless it's blowing. It's the icy roads and -30 temps that can make it unpleasant. This can make it a challenge if you like to do year-round outdoor activities. Fall is a great time of year, and there's nothing better than those idyllic Spring days here. I just wish they were more frequent.

There is an excellent network of bike trails in Des Moines that go for miles. It spans the whole city and even goes out into the country. There are even bike lanes on a couple of streets in the city.

Des Moines has some great restaurants for a city its size. I can't think of any type of cuisine that isn't represented well here. Now there might not be 5 great Ethiopian places, for example, but you can usually find at least one go-to place in each genre, and the local scene is rather impressive imo and runs the gamut from local fast food to fine dining.

Des Moines has many unique homes within its city limits that aren't of the cookie cutter variety. There are a lot of older homes (and newer ones) here with character, and you would have no problem finding a great home for under $350 K. 350 K would get you a huge spread here, and you would probably find the houses you're looking for in either the Beaverdale neighborhood or South of Grand area in SW Des Moines. But, really, the whole city is an option at 350 K. Des Moines is growing (current population is just above 206 K), but it's not overcrowded by any means. Most people's work commute is around 15 minutes coming from the suburbs.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:50 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,919,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam546 View Post

Wants:
Sounds like where you are at is perfect for that. Just about anywhere out west would be good, particularly near the sierra nevadas in California, or Oregon.

Quote:
*Affordable housing (we want single family home options [that are not out in the suburbs] that are under $350k) //
Here's where it gets tough. Desirable places are going to be more expensive. I wonder if Reno, NV would fit?

Old 08-03-2014, 10:28 PM

421 posts, read 467,866 times
Maybe Bellingham Washington would suit you

Old 08-03-2014, 10:42 PM

24,895 posts, read 9,691,589 times
You hate humidity and snowboard.

Well, you're already in Colorado.

Let's face it: anywhere east of the Rockies has humidity problems. You can luck out with a cooler than average summer and obviously going north cuts off high heat/humidity days on the summer bookends.

Someone mentioned Reno which gives you access to Lake Tahoe (heaven on earth). Don't know much about there aside from having some crime issues and higher unemployment.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:47 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,766,635 times
Sounds like Minneapolis, Milwaukee, maybe even Chicago. Columbus, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Louisville, Indianapolis, and Nashville are all probably worth looking into as well.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:21 AM

795 posts, read 1,055,096 times
Metro Detroit would also fit your criteria. There is a variety of housing options and not all of them cookie cutter and you don't need to be super wealthy to have a nice single family home either.

The only real problem is that teaching jobs are really hard to come by around here. Most of my friends have either left the state to teach or have given up the idea of finding a permanent teaching position and changed careers. There are a lot more teachers than there are positions.

Around here most people want to live in the suburbs because they have a better rep and better services than the city of Detroit. However, not all the suburbs are filled up with chain restaurants and chain stores either. If you want to be a hipster and move downtown, then go for it. It's a lot better than it has been in years. However, the people who tend to move down there are singles who don't have kids. Once people start having kids, typically, people move out because of safety and schools. Detroit has a way to go before people will be confident sending their kids to DPS and they still have a lot of safety challenges.

That said, the tech job market is hot out here and your housing dollar will go a lot further than in other Metro areas - unless you choose a ritzy suburb like Birmingham, Troy, Rochester, Bloomfield. Ann Arbor is not the place to go for cheap housing either.

We've got a ton of places for outdoor activities and we've got the 4 seasons.

If you don't want Metro Detroit, then you could look in Grand Rapids or other areas of the state. Michigan is just a great place to live.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:39 AM

56,736 posts, read 81,038,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
Metro Detroit would also fit your criteria. There is a variety of housing options and not all of them cookie cutter and you don't need to be super wealthy to have a nice single family home either.

The only real problem is that teaching jobs are really hard to come by around here. Most of my friends have either left the state to teach or have given up the idea of finding a permanent teaching position and changed careers. There are a lot more teachers than there are positions.

Around here most people want to live in the suburbs because they have a better rep and better services than the city of Detroit. However, not all the suburbs are filled up with chain restaurants and chain stores either. If you want to be a hipster and move downtown, then go for it. It's a lot better than it has been in years. However, the people who tend to move down there are singles who don't have kids. Once people start having kids, typically, people move out because of safety and schools. Detroit has a way to go before people will be confident sending their kids to DPS and they still have a lot of safety challenges.

That said, the tech job market is hot out here and your housing dollar will go a lot further than in other Metro areas - unless you choose a ritzy suburb like Birmingham, Troy, Rochester, Bloomfield. Ann Arbor is not the place to go for cheap housing either.

We've got a ton of places for outdoor activities and we've got the 4 seasons.

If you don't want Metro Detroit, then you could look in Grand Rapids or other areas of the state. Michigan is just a great place to live.
Royal Oak, Ferndale, other nearby communities in that area of the Woodward Corridor, as well as Farmington or Plymouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or