Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 02:43 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,760,223 times

Advertisements

What places would you get rid of in your city? What places don't you like? If you could put something else in it's place, what would it be?

For the city I am thinking of, I would get rid of our huge mall. I'd keep the movie theater and in place I'd put a plaza, restaurants, offices, and apartments. I'd also get rid of the JcPenney's. I'd get rid of our strip club. I'd get rid of the 2 new Wal-Mart Markets that opened, and the Wal-Mart too. I'd get rid of Chuck E Cheese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 07:02 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,074,989 times
Yes, the current trend in the 21st century is away from enclosed shopping malls, and instead toward outdoor "Lifestyle" shopping centers with winding paths, fountains, and benches. Also, movie theaters with fewer, but reclinable seats, with plenty of leg room to walk between rows.

Baltimore, MD needs to relocate its city Jail, located right downtown. Some cities are plagued by noisy, downtown expressways that serve to cut off neighborhoods from each other - such as I-95 near the Philadelphia waterfront. Boston, MA recently buried its expressway underground. Seattle, WA is removing its "Alaskan Way" viaduct downtown. Alexandria, VA is shutting down its coal-fired power plant.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:36 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Yes, the current trend in the 21st century is away from enclosed shopping malls, and instead toward outdoor "Lifestyle" shopping centers with winding paths, fountains, and benches. Also, movie theaters with fewer, but reclinable seats, with plenty of leg room to walk between rows.

Baltimore, MD needs to relocate its city Jail, located right downtown. Some cities are plagued by noisy, downtown expressways that serve to cut off neighborhoods from each other - such as I-95 near the Philadelphia waterfront. Boston, MA recently buried its expressway underground. Seattle, WA is removing its "Alaskan Way" viaduct downtown. Alexandria, VA is shutting down its coal-fired power plant.
would be nice if something could be done with 95 in Philly

this is a plan will see if anything ever happens

DRWC: Planning and Development

Old 08-04-2014, 02:25 PM

390 posts, read 941,084 times
The homeless, the filth, the trash that litters the streets and the subways, the horrible smells, the overcrowding, the heat and humidity...

Old 08-04-2014, 03:35 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
In Baton Rouge I would get rid of the corruption, the I-110 bridge that cut's off downtown from Mid-City, I would get rid of much of the sprawl, and the oppressive heat.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:06 PM

93,315 posts, read 123,941,088 times
The negative attitude of some of the people, the indecisiveness about I-81 in between Downtown and University Hill, the lack of vision in terms of moving forward, the crime in some neighborhoods and the some aspects of the educational system.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:26 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,772,332 times
I'd get rid of all the govt. housing. Time to stick a knife in this cruel, massively failed agenda.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:33 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,772,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
The trend in movie theaters will be alcohol and higher quality food service. Affordable, high quality home theater set-ups + internet + Hollywood's terrible recent offerings = dying theater industry. Recliners and leg room both found at home will not save them.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:48 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,680,059 times
Sure would be nice if people actually mentioned what city they are discussing.
Would make a more interesting discussion.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:17 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,760,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
The trend in movie theaters will be alcohol and higher quality food service. Affordable, high quality home theater set-ups + internet + Hollywood's terrible recent offerings = dying theater industry. Recliners and leg room both found at home will not save them.
Yes I did notice the rise in some theaters offering alcohol. I don't ever see the movie theater dying but just evolving. Younger generations are still it's biggest market
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.