U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 04:55 PM

20,877 posts, read 36,047,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Like the coasts, you still have to be selective as to what you choose.
There are plenty of fantastic places in the middle. The coastal areas have priced us out. Oh well. Earthquakes and hurricanes. Tornadoes and snow storms. Whichever.
Plenty of places exist close to the coast that are not expensive. You have to know where to look, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 11:25 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,840,597 times
I see it here. When I moved to Pittsburgh, it was one of the most affordable cities in the US. In a short few years, the job market has stayed the same while the COL has jumped drastically. Pittsburgh and certain neighborhoods became trendy. A person has to be wealthy to enjoy living here. The whole situation is sad because I was considering buying in town but now I want out.

Living in an undiscovered city was a pleasure. I am on a search to find a similar place.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:15 AM

6,873 posts, read 7,834,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
This article discusses how lots of the fastest growing areas are in flyover country. Mentions OKC and Austin in particular. Also mentions El Paso, Little Rock, San Antonio and Columbus, OH as magnets for people seeking a better life.
For many of us, there's a difference between a cheaper house and a better life.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:22 AM

3,147 posts, read 2,949,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
For many of us, there's a difference between a cheaper house and a better life.
They never say that a cheaper house is a better life... They say more available wealth without increasing workload leads to a better life... and it is hard to argue that having more resources available to you with the same amount of free time doesn't lead to increased quality of life....

Old 08-07-2014, 11:23 AM

11,146 posts, read 14,171,542 times
There are plenty of cheap places on the east coast, particularly in the south. Of course, however, good paying jobs are much harder to find.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
There are plenty of cheap places on the east coast, particularly in the south. Of course, however, good paying jobs are much harder to find.
Whereas in the Midwest, cheap places exist in or adjacent to major job centers.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:31 AM

11,146 posts, read 14,171,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Whereas in the Midwest, cheap places exist in or adjacent to major job centers.
That's why I'm somewhat intrigued by the Midwest lately. If I cant find a job near Hartford, CT within the next couple months, I may start looking out there. I'm just horrified at the idea of living in a totally flat farmland environment. That will take a LOT of getting used to, especially considering how I love to go hiking.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
They never say that a cheaper house is a better life... They say more available wealth without increasing workload leads to a better life... and it is hard to argue that having more resources available to you with the same amount of free time doesn't lead to increased quality of life....
I don't buy the premise that more money = a better life. I wold rather have less money in my pocket and live in Center City Philadelphia than to be loaded and living in Cheyenne, WY. YMMV

Old 08-07-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
That's why I'm somewhat intrigued by the Midwest lately. If I cant find a job near Hartford, CT within the next couple months, I may start looking out there. I'm just horrified at the idea of living in a totally flat farmland environment. That will take a LOT of getting used to, especially considering how I love to go hiking.
Most of the Midwest is not "totally flat farmland". That is the Great Plains.

Places like Minneapolis, Milwaukee, The Fox Cities, Kansas City, Tulsa, etc.... are not surrounded by "totally flat farmland", they are surrounded by lakes, forest, hills, river valleys etc... Even cities like Des Moines are surrounded by lush rolling hills, and forests...

If you chose Des Moines, this would be just one of your hiking options:

Pic.

Pic.

Pic.

This is right outside Omaha, NE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EsSwnPaTcE

(The flat areas that the bluffs overlook are not typical of the Midwest, it is large river bottoms of the Missouri River.)

Old 08-07-2014, 12:17 PM

Here is our story: We moved away from Houston 3.5 years ago. If we'd stayed, my husband could have retired when I did and we could have taken lots of trips and bought lots of toys. Instead, we moved to CC Philly because we wanted something Houston couldn't offer: high rise living smack dab in the middle of a vibrant, growing, walkable, urban setting. We also wanted to be within an hour or less of one of the oceans. And we were willing to pay for it. Not sure why that's hard to understand. As such, I am merely pointing out that the premise of this thread as presented by the OP is flawed: that areas away from the coasts are a magnet for people seeking a better life. The premise of the actual article is that they are a manget for people seeking cheaper real estate. For some that may indeed equate to a better life. But remember, the title of the article was: "Affordable housing draws middle class inland." It was not "A better life draws middle class inland."

For others, such as my husband and I, we are choosing to move from areas where housing is cheaper in order to obtain what for us is a better life. Some of us want more from life than a cheaper home and are able and willing to pay for it. And we are not the only folks we've met here in Philly who have done the same.

Last edited by JMT; 08-07-2014 at 08:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or