U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-11-2016, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles,CA & Scottsdale, AZ
1,934 posts, read 1,703,781 times
Reputation: 1742

Advertisements

Prescott, AZ. Our first capital, has a cute town center, cool court house, nice night life(relatively speaking), has a lot of traditional Arizona culture, amazing weather, beautiful scenery, and it is perfectly located. Close to both Phoenix/Scottsdale and Flagg/sedona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-11-2016, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA
8,741 posts, read 7,697,184 times
Reputation: 7669
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Lowell is a small city though, so it makes sense it gets overlooked nationally, I couldn't tell you any random ~100,000 people city in Virginia or Louisiana.
Lowell basically has a high profile only amongst people who follow College Hockey, which UMass Lowell is often among the top in the country.
There are plenty of ~100,000 people cities with high profiles nationally, many college towns (as Lowell is):
- Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Ithaca, New York
- Bloomington, Indiana
- Columbia, Missouri
- State College, Pennsylvania

I mean, Boston is the only big city in Massachusetts, so there aren't a whole lot of choice in regards to this particular thread. Maybe Worcester? But I feel like it gets overlooked, more or less, rightly (just my opinion). Lowell is way better. If the thread weren't asking about one state and then I could go all of New England, my answer would be different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2016, 01:50 PM
 
9,385 posts, read 9,551,583 times
Reputation: 5790
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
There are plenty of ~100,000 people cities with high profiles nationally, many college towns (as Lowell is):
- Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Ithaca, New York
- Bloomington, Indiana
- Columbia, Missouri
- State College, Pennsylvania

I mean, Boston is the only big city in Massachusetts, so there aren't a whole lot of choice in regards to this particular thread. Maybe Worcester? But I feel like it gets overlooked, more or less, rightly (just my opinion). Lowell is way better. If the thread weren't asking about one state and then I could go all of New England, my answer would be different.
I know your are not from Massachusetts, but from Cleveland, and you may not know this but Umass Lowell was not always a big school. In the last 10 years the school has gone from ~6,000 undergrad to ~14,000 undergrad. It went from a satilite Umass campus to basically a co-flagship in 10 years. So because it doesn't have the same legacy as those other schools (other than Hockey its only been DI athletics for 2 years) that gives their towns a big name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2016, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA
8,741 posts, read 7,697,184 times
Reputation: 7669
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I know your are not from Massachusetts, but from Cleveland, and you may not know this but Umass Lowell was not always a big school. In the last 10 years the school has gone from ~6,000 undergrad to ~14,000 undergrad. It went from a satilite Umass campus to basically a co-flagship in 10 years. So because it doesn't have the same legacy as those other schools (other than Hockey its only been DI athletics for 2 years) that gives their towns a big name.
Ok?

My point was that towns that size certainly do have national reputations, which you said you couldn't name any. I just pointed out that's not true.

I don't know why you feel like you have to correct everything I say, even though I'm not even saying what you think, or you shift the goal posts.

Not sure what where i am from has to do with anything. Kind of typical boston of you to remind people all the time that they weren't born here.

Also:
Lacrosee, WI
Morgantown, WV
Flagstaff, AZ
Gettysburg, PA
Santa Fe, NM

Last edited by bjimmy24; 03-11-2016 at 03:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2016, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
1,379 posts, read 1,197,643 times
Reputation: 2546
For Minnesota, it's Saint Paul (even though it's immediately adjacent Minneapolis), Duluth, and Rochester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2016, 04:29 PM
 
9,385 posts, read 9,551,583 times
Reputation: 5790
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Ok?

My point was that towns that size certainly do have national reputations, which you said you couldn't name any. I just pointed out that's not true.

I don't know why you feel like you have to correct everything I say, even though I'm not even saying what you think, or you shift the goal posts.

Not sure what where i am from has to do with anything. Kind of typical boston of you to remind people all the time that they weren't born here.

Also:
Lacrosee, WI
Morgantown, WV
Flagstaff, AZ
Gettysburg, PA
Santa Fe, NM
Well what I am saying is
1) There are 297 100,000+ cities in the US most of them don't have a national profile
2) Lowell is not Comparable to Ann Arbor or Columbia because Umass Lowell does not have the same profile as UM due to the lack of DI Football, Basketball etc, and the fact it was a rather small school all around until recently.
Also Gettysburg PA is famous the same way Lexington, MA is, for a major historic event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2016, 09:19 AM
 
9,385 posts, read 9,551,583 times
Reputation: 5790
I also feel Grand Rapids gets overlooked.
Compared to similarly sized Midwestern cities it gets ignored. It has one of the best economies in the nation right now, and is basically the only part of Michigan growing robustly right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top