U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 09:18 PM

13,241 posts, read 24,463,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Texas.

... take a guess.
Austin? San Antonio?

Spoiler

Old 08-05-2014, 09:36 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,757,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Austin? San Antonio?

Spoiler
Yeah, I was going to say San Antonio. For a city it's size, it doesn't seem to get much attention (aside from the Spurs at least). It's not totally ignored, but of the top 10 largest U.S. cities, of which San Antonio is one (#7, I believe)... it gets the least amount of recognition.

Now Austin on the other hand...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 09:54 PM

1,709 posts, read 1,678,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Yeah, I was going to say San Antonio. For a city it's size, it doesn't seem to get much attention (aside from the Spurs at least). It's not totally ignored, but of the top 10 largest U.S. cities, of which San Antonio is one (#7, I believe)... it gets the least amount of recognition.

Now Austin on the other hand...
Check JJG's location.
Spoiler
They're talking about Fort Worth.

Damn, it really is overlooked.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:56 PM
JJG

13,249 posts, read 19,203,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
Check JJG's location.
Spoiler

See what I mean?

Old 08-05-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
See what I mean?
I was joking.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
Check JJG's location.
Spoiler

No, I saw that, and knew that's what JJG meant. That's what happens when your city is only 30 miles away from Dallas and part of the same shared metro. I'm sure many people in St. Paul, MN feel the same way. Or Long Beach, CA, or Ft. Lauderdale, or Oakland, or Tacoma.

I stand by my assessment of San Antonio though for the state of Texas.

When I lived in Massachussetts it was Worcester. 2nd biggest city in the state, but how often do you ever hear Worcester brought up in conversation? It doesn't help that it's at such the distance from Boston that it's just barely too far to be part of Boston's metro, yet too close to escape it's shadow. Even Springfield gets more attention than poor Worcester.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:18 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I was joking.
I know, but that's all too common.

Seriously, ONLY because we're 30 miles away from Dallas (close, but not just right next to each other) will people not mention us in threads like this. San Antonio and Austin, even El Paso is better known nationally by a good mile.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:

Seriously, ONLY because we're 30 miles away from Dallas (close, but not just right next to each other) will people not mention us in threads like this. San Antonio and Austin, even El Paso is better known nationally by a good mile.
I'm originally from the Inland Empire of CA.

What/where's that, right?

4,000,000 people, anchored by two cities that combined are 510,000.

No room for talk about the IE when you've got LA and San Diego right there. Not to mention "The OC".

Old 08-05-2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:

Seriously, ONLY because we're 30 miles away from Dallas (close, but not just right next to each other) will people not include us. San Antonio and Austin, even El Paso is better known nationally by a good mile.
El Paso? I don't know if I'd go that far. I only hear about El Paso when there's cartel violence in the news. Personally, I like Ft. Worth, and in many ways I think it has a better QOL than Dallas. It's a shame that it gets overshadowed by Dallas in the national spotlight, but I think for that reason it's able to maintain it's own individual character and local charm a little more effectively.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:31 PM
JJG

Yeah, see the thing is, we've actually tried getting our OWN name out there several times (ESPN has broadcast here for 2 big sporting events in the last 3 years and will be back for a third time to kick off the college football season next month, even with ESPN College Gameday), the city even placed advertisements in the heart of Times Square.

Nothing sticks, it seems... We're still "Dallas" to a lot of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or