U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 10:00 AM

3,147 posts, read 2,943,201 times

Advertisements

I personally think Fort Worth wins "most overlooked" in Texas. Most people know the name, and most people think "suburb of Dallas", which is far from true.

At least McAllen gets recognized as an independent city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 11:01 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,401,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
I personally think Fort Worth wins "most overlooked" in Texas. Most people know the name, and most people think "suburb of Dallas", which is far from true.

Totally agree. It's underrated culturally, as well, being the museum town of the region. And there's a lot of good history there that Dallas/Houston lack. Underrated food town, too.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:23 AM

29,946 posts, read 27,415,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Well, taking a look at the other "overlooked" cities in Texas that people here have mentioned, there's good reason behind each of them:

- Houston, doesn't seem to get the same kind of press and attention that Dallas or other large cities get even though it's the 4th largest city in America, is one, if not, THE top energy city in America, has NASA and several other things that you would think would make it much more well known than it is.

- San Antonio, home of the Alamo and one of the top pro sports franchises in American sports who just won their 5th title this year, is considered to be a top tourist city by many, has hosted many major sporting events, and yet, still not seen as a "top city" even to some people within the state.

- Fort Worth, .... I'm pretty sure I've covered that several times here.

But what can you say about McAllen that would make others outside of this state say, "Why isn't that city mentioned more often" other than just population? Metro area aside, McAllen is no bigger than Waco or at least, not that much bigger. There are no major universities or companies there, so it just seems more understandable why McAllen isn't known nationally.

Not trying to say anything negative, after all, it is your opinion and technically, I guess that's the question of this thread. But I don't feel that McAllen really needs to be seen on a national level because it really just doesn't have much to be seen.

If that makes sense.
I agree with Houston, Fort Worth, and San Antonio as well; it just seems that McAllen doesn't even get mentioned along with El Paso or even Corpus Christi. It might as well be in Mexico LOL.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:39 PM

4,403 posts, read 4,612,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecakecake View Post
All of upstate NY is usually overlooked nationally. People may have heard of Albany, Buffalo, Rochester, or Syracuse. I personally like Saratoga Springs located just north of Albany. If you like country living, upstate NY is for you. The cities up here are meh.
Interesting a friend of mine just traveled throughout upstate New York and his favorite city was Saratoga Springs. Must be a great little place.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:33 PM

23,613 posts, read 17,598,460 times
The northern suburbs of Indy. Very safe, wealthy, affordable, and comfortable, but since it's flyover country in a not-so-great city, it gets overlooked.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:43 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,754,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
Speaking of Texas, Houston seems to be oddly overlooked for a city of it's size. I can understand that it's not the most attractive city out there, but regardless it still deserves its credit.
I never really thought about Houston as being overlooked, but now that I think about it, I guess it kind of is, once you consider that it's the 4th largest U.S. City, either 5th or 6th (I forget which) largest metro, the energy capitol, has the world's largest medical center, has a very large and diverse international population, and is home to NASA.

I grew up in Houston. I have lived all over the country, but when people ask me where I'm "from", I usually tell them Houston. And more than a few times people have responded by saying "Houston... Texas?"... as if there's another major city named Houston that I need to clarify about. That always strikes me a bit odd. I would hardly say that it's anywhere near being the most overlooked city in Texas though. Dallas, and even Austin seem to get more attention than Houston, but I would still say that of all the larger TX cities, San Antonio and Fort Worth get overlooked the most. I suppose El Paso is another.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:13 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,754,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post

Ugh... I hate it when people try to call Fort Worth a "suburb of Dallas". That's like calling St. Paul a suburb of Minneapolis, or even Baltimore a suburb of D.C. Fort Worth is it's own hub city, with it's own metro, that shares a few suburbs with Dallas' metro. Sure, it's all considered one big metro now (DFW), but Fort Worth is anything but a "suburb of Dallas".

Old 08-11-2014, 09:20 PM
JJG

13,248 posts, read 19,189,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Ugh... I hate it when people try to call Fort Worth a "suburb of Dallas". That's like calling St. Paul a suburb of Minneapolis, or even Baltimore a suburb of D.C. Fort Worth is it's own hub city, with it's own metro, that shares a few suburbs with Dallas' metro. Sure, it's all considered one big metro now (DFW), but Fort Worth is anything but a "suburb of Dallas".
You hate it?

Try actually GROWING UP in the city and constantly having to correct people about that... and even after the fact, they STILL stick to their view of Fort Worth being a suburb, as if the words of the people who actually live there somehow don't count.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:45 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,943,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
I agree completely, and I think it is sad that people do it... definite evidence that Fort Worth is overlooked.

When I visited, I actually had more fun in downtown Fort Worth than downtown Dallas. (I actually love downtown St. Paul as well.)

Old 08-12-2014, 12:06 AM

4,475 posts, read 7,297,197 times
Speaking of Saint Paul, I'd say it is fairly overlooked as well. Eh, make that overshadowed. By Minneapolis. As much time as I spend there, sometimes I still catch myself just saying I'm in Minneapolis when I'm somewhere else in the Twin Cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or