U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-12-2014, 07:48 AM
 
32,060 posts, read 32,956,580 times
Reputation: 14944

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecakecake View Post
All of upstate NY is usually overlooked nationally. People may have heard of Albany, Buffalo, Rochester, or Syracuse. I personally like Saratoga Springs located just north of Albany. If you like country living, upstate NY is for you. The cities up here are meh.
I would say all NY State cities except New York City!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-12-2014, 08:36 AM
 
3,955 posts, read 3,487,388 times
Reputation: 6331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I would say all NY State cities except New York City!
I disagree with that, I feel like Buffalo gets a decent amount of attention. Also if you mention Syracuse and Rochester the vast majority will know where you're talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2014, 08:52 AM
 
Location: Ohio, USA
1,085 posts, read 1,345,850 times
Reputation: 970
In Ohio, pretty much all of the cities get overlooked. We're pretty much the Cedar Point state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2014, 05:05 PM
 
77 posts, read 110,198 times
Reputation: 94
Tampa and Orlando. Orlando because most people don't realize that its a whole lot more than just hotels and theme parks. The urban area of Orlando is larger than those of Indianapolis, Charlotte, and New Orleans to name a few. The growth rate in the area is incredibly high as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2014, 12:36 AM
 
Location: Metro Atlanta & Savannah, GA - Corpus Christi, TX
4,471 posts, read 7,286,802 times
Reputation: 2217
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
In Ohio, pretty much all of the cities get overlooked. We're pretty much the Cedar Point state.
Disagree. I knew about Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnati way before I had heard of Cedar Point. Heck, I related Sandusky with Tommy Boy before Cedar Point. ...How many others agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth33 View Post
Tampa and Orlando. Orlando because most people don't realize that its a whole lot more than just hotels and theme parks. The urban area of Orlando is larger than those of Indianapolis, Charlotte, and New Orleans to name a few. The growth rate in the area is incredibly high as well.
Also disagree. Majorly. I think of Tampa and Orlando ONLY second to Miami. The last Florida cities on my mind are Tallahassee and Pensacola. The panhandle is largely forgotten compared to the peninsula. I would even put Jacksonville after Orlando and Tampa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2014, 09:42 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee
3,451 posts, read 3,395,034 times
Reputation: 2895
Yeah, everyone is aware of Tampa (pro sports teams) and Orlando (major international tourist destination).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2014, 09:53 AM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,247 posts, read 19,171,479 times
Reputation: 7005
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth33 View Post
Tampa and Orlando. Orlando because most people don't realize that its a whole lot more than just hotels and theme parks.
Neither of those cities are overlooked nationally... at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2014, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Arvada, CO
13,236 posts, read 24,407,950 times
Reputation: 13004
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Disagree. I knew about Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnati way before I had heard of Cedar Point. Heck, I related Sandusky with Tommy Boy before Cedar Point. ...How many others agree?
When a guy I know was trying to tell me where he's from, he said "near Cedar Point", and I'm like, "Oh, you mean Sandusky?"

Granted, I've never been to Cedar Point, or even Ohio. Cedar Point isn't even known out west. I too associate Sandusky with Tommy Boy above anything else.
__________________
Moderator for Los Angeles, The Inland Empire, and the Washington state forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2014, 02:20 PM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,939,690 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
When a guy I know was trying to tell me where he's from, he said "near Cedar Point", and I'm like, "Oh, you mean Sandusky?"

Granted, I've never been to Cedar Point, or even Ohio. Cedar Point isn't even known out west. I too associate Sandusky with Tommy Boy above anything else.
Shouldn't cities under 30k with a metro of 70k be overlooked? I mean, if we were choosing cities of that size in most states nobody from out of state would recognize them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2014, 06:13 PM
 
77 posts, read 110,198 times
Reputation: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Shouldn't cities under 30k with a metro of 70k be overlooked? I mean, if we were choosing cities of that size in most states nobody from out of state would recognize them.
that's absolutely right. I thought we were discussing larger cities overlooked nationally
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top