Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 08:22 PM

128 posts, read 221,830 times

Advertisements

Are there any good cities in your state that gets overlooked nationally? For example, I live in Washington State where the only city that ever seems to get talked about is Seattle. However, there is more to Washington State than just Seattle. There are other good cities like Bellingham, Olympia, and Spokane for example. Now I'm not sure if I would want to live in any of those cities but they all seem like pretty good places that don't get talked about much and are not very well known.

I'm sure that every state in the country has cities that go overlooked. Feel free to mention any cities in your state that you feel get overlooked. I personally get tired of hearing about the same old cities. I have heard enough about Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, and New York City. Not to mention many other cities. I prefer and think it's more fun to hear about cities that fly under the radar. It's nice for a change hearing about cities that don't get talked about much instead of just beating the same old drum over and over again like a broken record. It's cool hearing about places that are somewhat obscure and not so mainstream and well known.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 09:03 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,797,901 times
Spokane needs to remain overlooked so the masses don't spoil it.

In Colorado, Colorado Springs is very overlooked IMO.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:13 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,119,790 times
In Louisiana people only know of New Orleans. But there's also Baton Rouge, Lafayette, Shreveport for the larger cities.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:24 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,423,317 times
All of them...

Old 08-05-2014, 09:40 PM

10,072 posts, read 9,856,968 times
Baltimore is definitely overlooked.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:43 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,119,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore is definitely overlooked.
Yeah if it's considered southern.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:05 PM

10,724 posts, read 23,656,165 times
Las Cruces, NM. It's got a beautiful mountain/valley/desert setting, the NMSU campus, the old school Southwestern charm and character in Old Mesilla, and there is good amount of agriculture in the area. It's a lot prettier than El Paso, that's for certain. Las Cruces is kind of poor man's Tucson but it's nicer than expected. Albuquerque and Santa Fe are the only cities known nationally and a visitor to the state would most likely be drawn to Santa Fe for the history and the arts. However one could visit Las Cruces and easily get the quintessential New Mexican cultural experience with the scenery, history, and food.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 08-05-2014 at 10:27 PM..

Old 08-05-2014, 10:07 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,568,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrockettandTubbs View Post
i live in Washington State where the only city that ever seems to get talked about is Seattle. However, there is more to Washington State than just Seattle. There are other good cities like Bellingham, Olympia, and Spokane for example. Now I'm not sure if I would want to live in any of those cities but they all seem like pretty good places that don't get talked about much and are not very well known.
I too live in WA, and though I agree those cities you mentioned do get overlooked and are decent places in their own right, I think there's a reason why they aren't well known nationally or discussed much. They're all small cities for one, the largest being Spokane, which is still only 200k in population. Two, they aren't very significant on a national scale. Olympia is the state capitol, but it doesn't play much of a role outside of the state either politically, economically, or as a big tourist destination. It's a great little city, but it just doesn't figure nationally the way Seattle does.

Spokane does figure prominently in it's region. It's a distribution hub for the entire inland Northwest, but it doesn't have an industry that makes it economically important enough to be in the national spotlight. Not only is Seattle a 3.5 million metro, but it's the headquarters for Microsoft, Amazon, Expedia, Starbucks, and Boeing. Not to mention it's a pretty big tourist destination and a hub for the West Coast fishing industry. Having professional sports teams also helps gain national attention.

That said, Olympia, Bellingham, Spokane are all fine cities.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:08 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,796,394 times
Texas.

... take a guess.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:08 PM

308 posts, read 503,174 times
All of upstate NY is usually overlooked nationally. People may have heard of Albany, Buffalo, Rochester, or Syracuse. I personally like Saratoga Springs located just north of Albany. If you like country living, upstate NY is for you. The cities up here are meh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.