U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 01:00 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,126,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Yeah, I work with people in San Francisco and one was recently telling me how she shares a 3 bdr., 1 bath apartment with two other people in SF and their rent was just raised to a little over $6000 I'm sorry, but no location on earth is worth that sort of rent. And to be sharing the place on top of that...
That's why I wisely advised the OP to choose SoCal instead, because it's a little cheaper. $75K should be plenty down there, if he wants to live alone. I wouldn't step foot in Norcal unless I made at least $85-90K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 02:53 PM

12 posts, read 11,849 times
Good thing I'm more excited about SoCal then

Old 08-08-2014, 05:33 PM

4,943 posts, read 7,598,673 times
You could probably afford San Diego, not so much to buy a house but to rent a decent apartment or cottage. It's not the greatest city but it is pretty damn nice and fun: compact and happening downtown and surrounding historic neighborhoods, funky and a bit rowdy beach communities (mellowed as you travel north) and then, like every city, more than a little sprawl outwards, but not too bad. It's not cheap but way less than the Bay Area.
California has its problems like everywhere else but it sure isn't all the doom and gloom I'm reading here sheesh.

San Diego definitely has a very established gay community almost to the point of it being blasť to everyone else. Because of the all the military here: Navy, Marine Corp, (with more than a few gays in their ranks) it has an especially high male to female ratio which should work for you haha. And nothing wrong with the eye candy of all the lean surfers and super fit Navy SEALS jogging on the beach and with perfect weather year round it is sports lover's paradise.

Seriously it is a great city for a young gay guy- check out a couple of these sites for some neighborhood info right in the city. We are a gay couple together for 28 years after we met in a bar here on my spring break from college elsewhere, and it's a little clique community to be sure but just be a chill dude and you'll meet some good folks. We are completely entrenched with amazing friends and couples here- mostly straight- and we hang out together enjoying the city and each other's company all the time.

South Park, San Diego Official Website - Welcome (my neighborhood- the best in the city)
NORTH PARK SCENE ~ what's doing
sd urban

And the airport couldn't be more convenient- it's practically downtown- the closest urban airport to a downtown in the country. Whenever anybody visits us we never leave our house to pick them up until they land and call us- zip, it's an eight minute drive away- we are there about when they've made it out to be picked up.

Good Luck wherever you decide!

Old 08-09-2014, 01:43 AM

6,322 posts, read 4,761,558 times
Another vote for Long Beach. I think their airport is fabulous! Much quicker than LAX w cheaper parking. Rent 1k-1.5k for 1 bedroom. All gay males I've known in this area tell me they either want to be in "the LBC" or San Francisco.

I would scope out their airport if i were you and see if it flies where you'd often need to be.

Old 08-09-2014, 01:53 PM

6,316 posts, read 6,972,968 times
Can you move around? If one city isn't working for you can you try another? If I were you then LA, SF, NYC, Chicago, DC, ATL and Miami would all but on my radar, and I would try to rotate through them too!

I've had friends who had to travel M-F and could spend the weekend in any city they wanted. Company just flew them out to different sites at the start of each week and back to any city at the end.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:10 PM

12 posts, read 11,849 times
I guess I could but would that not be a big headache when doing the taxes?

Old 08-10-2014, 06:28 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,098,462 times
Wow, you are so wrong on so many levels.

For one, the Bay Area is not the only liberal and gay-friendly place in CA. Los Angeles is also heavily Democrat and gay-friendly, as are other areas. It is true that Orange County and San Diego are mostly Republican but even many of those people are only Republican on fiscal issues. It ain't like Alabama.

You're so racist, lol, but not surprising since you're from provincial, uppity New England, where almost evyone is White, and among them, Italian, British or Irish descendants. Literally no diversity and very segregated, lol. I find places like "Fairmont" and "Greenwhich", or whatever other street name crap, to be boring. I like hearing different sounding names and cities, it sounds more exotic and has a different culture, if everything were the same, it would be boring. But really, does the name "Los Angeles" or "San Diego" annoy you THAT much because it is Spanish? HELLO!! The Spanish were the first Europeans to arrive in California! And I thought you New Englanders were so well educated!

As for standards of living, most places up north, including many in New England, are on par or worse off than California, primarily due to the 6 months of freezing cold weather and snow, as well as rude and arrogant residents and over-the-roof home prices. The fact that California is the most heavily-populated state in the nation says leagues about how it is better in just about every way than uppity New England.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
First of all, that comment regarding middle class Italian males from New England is VERY prejudice and offensive. Don't be a hypocrite and accuse me of prejudice and go making comments like that.

And why are you lecturing me about the LGBT friendliness of CA? I didn't make any statements regarding that, as it's not debatable.

It's also not debatable that California is literally losing white population at a very high, steady rate of about 100,000 per year. Look it up. I did. The state is an epic disaster on virtually all measures -- politically, economically and standard of living wise. The state is too large to manage and there are talks of splitting it into 6 states. The roads are some of the worst in the nation. And public transit is confined to only a few trite areas. You should watch the video on YouTube "55 reasons why California is the Worst State Ever." It's truly eye opening.

Also, the main areas of civilization (LA, SD, SF) are way, way overpopulated and congested and ultra expensive. It's an extreme place to live.

The state is also very Latin oriented, which is annoying IMO. Too much "San" and "Los" and "Ranchero" and "Coronado" and crap. I'd rather see street names such as "Fairfield Ave" or "Washington Blvd" or "Greenwich Ave." The Los Angeles Metro Area population is now only 30% white. However, if you are white and comfortable being a racial minority, then it's a non issue!

CA in general is a very conservative state, except for the coastal region. Most of the counties were won by Mitt Romney in 2012. Back in 2008, people actually voted to ban gay marriage (Prop. 8). Outside of SF and the Bay area, the state is no more or less gay friendly than New England or the Pacific Northwest or anywhere in the BosWash Corridor, or South Florida. Furthermore, the gay meccas of CA are some of the most (if not THE most) pretentious, superficial, very-high standard gay communities in the country. Too many guys that are "beautiful and stupid." Virtually all of my gay friends that live there say how hard it is to find a boyfriend, etc.

CA growth is now on par with the Northeast, likely due to high cost of living and not enough opportunities unless you're in the tech industry in NorCal. Slower growth than the national average. People are fleeing. The state's population is shrinking as a percentage of the total U.S. population, as other states experience rapid growth, such as TX, FL, AZ, etc.

Anyway, to the OP....go ahead...move to California. Just be prepared to be a renter for life. Oh, and learn how to speak Spanish!

Old 08-10-2014, 09:20 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,126,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Wow, you are so wrong on so many levels.

For one, the Bay Area is not the only liberal and gay-friendly place in CA. Los Angeles is also heavily Democrat and gay-friendly, as are other areas. It is true that Orange County and San Diego are mostly Republican but even many of those people are only Republican on fiscal issues. It ain't like Alabama.

You're so racist, lol, but not surprising since you're from provincial, uppity New England, where almost evyone is White, and among them, Italian, British or Irish descendants. Literally no diversity and very segregated, lol. I find places like "Fairmont" and "Greenwhich", or whatever other street name crap, to be boring. I like hearing different sounding names and cities, it sounds more exotic and has a different culture, if everything were the same, it would be boring. But really, does the name "Los Angeles" or "San Diego" annoy you THAT much because it is Spanish? HELLO!! The Spanish were the first Europeans to arrive in California! And I thought you New Englanders were so well educated!

As for standards of living, most places up north, including many in New England, are on par or worse off than California, primarily due to the 6 months of freezing cold weather and snow, as well as rude and arrogant residents and over-the-roof home prices. The fact that California is the most heavily-populated state in the nation says leagues about how it is better in just about every way than uppity New England.
How am I racist? I simply prefer European non-Hispanic architecture and language. I want to feel like I'm living in mainstream America, not Mexico. I don't really care to see things named with Los this and San that. I also find it racist that you think it's a problem that certain regions of the country are very white. I mean, so what? It is what it is. Plus, the Midwest is MUCH whiter than New England. Does that mean it's a racist region? There are cities that lack diversity such as Miami, which is like 85% Latino. That is not diverse either. Diversity doesn't mean having less white people. It means having a variety of different types of people. In my opinion, diversity is very overrated and tends to create too many social ills. Like most whites, I'm proud of my white heritage as well -- specifically, my Italian heritage.

Provincial societies are preferable, in my opinion, because they have a more uniquely defined culture and populace. I don't like places with lots of transplants and too many diverse cultures, because it diminishes the uniqueness offered by a singular culture. Besides, almost the entire U.S. is provincial all over. Americans aren't moving as much as they used to in the mid 20th century. I mean, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco and San Diego are very provincial cities as well. They are loaded with people who grew up there, never really ventured out east and don't care to. Lots of WEIRD people and homeless, too. I prefer places that have a normal vibe, with normal people.

The only reason why California is more populated than any other state is because it's a BIG state with a BIG economy. Duh. Only 11% of the American population lives in California. 89% live elsewhere. California is beautiful and has some amazing cities, but overall, the state is in decline and white people are leaving in droves to places like Phoenix, Portland, Seattle or Florida.

Last edited by nep321; 08-10-2014 at 09:48 PM..

Old 08-12-2014, 12:28 AM

6,316 posts, read 6,972,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hag87 View Post
I guess I could but would that not be a big headache when doing the taxes?
I don't think so. But in any case, hire a tax professional and it'll be smooth sailing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or