Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 09:17 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hag87 View Post
I'm at least happy to see according to the last two comments California should not be off the table
LA/Long Beach is rather expensive. We moved to Denver from Orange County, CA a few years ago due to a job transfer. But at one time, we were looking at homes in Long Beach and rents/home prices were cheaper there for some reason. But if you're renting, plan on spending over $1000 per month on rent if you choose California.

Denver is great for young and gay people, but it's rather expensive too. A little cheaper than L.A., but not by much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 09:47 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,656,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
LA/Long Beach is rather expensive. We moved to Denver from Orange County, CA a few years ago due to a job transfer. But at one time, we were looking at homes in Long Beach and rents/home prices were cheaper there for some reason. But if you're renting, plan on spending over $1000 per month on rent if you choose California.

Denver is great for young and gay people, but it's rather expensive too. A little cheaper than L.A., but not by much.
In terms of housing costs, Long Beach is one of the best beachfront bargains in all of Southern California. For example, when I move back to Long Beach later this month, I'll be renting a recently renovated ~1,000 sq. ft. apt. one block from the beach for $1,550/month, which includes most utilities plus a $100/month parking fee. Parking is obviously at a premium, since the apt. is so close to the beach.

While that may seem expensive to some, esp. those hailing from the middle of the country, I will have you know that by coastal California, West Coast, AND US standards, that's a steal. One of my closest friends in Boca Raton, FL, where I lived for years, rents a gorgeous, recently-renovated 2,000 sq. ft. luxury apt. only blocks from the beach for around $1,600/month. But it's still Florida. I learned a long time ago that life is much more than a big, cheap, new cracker-jack box home, and that's why I'm moving back to California from Arizona.

Although I'm not too crazy about the stronger "Middle-American" vibe in Denver compared to most other Western cities, I will say that Denver is a much better alternative to LA/Long Beach than transient pipe-dream cities like Phoenix and Vegas--generally younger, better educated, more intellectual populace; stronger, more robust job market, esp. for educated professionals; more cultural amenities and offerings; and so forth. However, for someone who spent years in South Florida such as myself, the thought of Denver gives me the chills.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:10 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Unless you're rich, I would avoid California at all costs. The state is literally losing white population as well. They are fleeing to places like Arizona, Oregon and Texas.
Your post reeks of prejudice...who cares if White people are leaving and minorities are coming?

Old 08-07-2014, 11:14 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times
Why not consider Fort Lauderdale or Miami? Very gay-friendly places. Or for that matter, Tampa? Warm and sunny weather for most of the year, great beaches, and much cheaper than SoCal. The issue CA is having now is drought: Florida gets plenty of rain, lol.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:20 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
I've had more than enough of your foolish rhetoric, specifically regarding California. You are an ignorant, narrow-minded, one-dimensional racist like most middle and working class Italian-American New Englanders, and you truly have no clue what you're talking about. You remind me of my male family members in Rhode Island, and that's not a good thing.

California is one of the most open, tolerant, and progressive states in the entire country. Needless to say, it's one of the best states for LBGT Americans. To dismiss it as a more than viable option to the OP is absolutely ridiculous, especially since the OP desires a place with mild, sunny weather.

Long Beach in particular, where I lived from 2007 - 2009 and will be returning later this month, is one of the most open, tolerant cities in both California and the US. It is home to one of the largest, most active LBGT communities in the US and is a fantastic place to live whether you're gay or straight.

What you repeatedly fail to understand is that approximately 90% of the people who are "fleeing" California are low-income, uneducated bros and tweakers from the Inland Empire, ghetto thugs and gangbangers from LA and the East Bay returning to their "roots" in the South or Southwest, and trailer trash from the Central Valley and the rest of the undesirable inland areas of the state. These groups are "fleeing" California for states like Arizona, Oregon, and Texas because they've been priced out of California. I say let these folks leave, by all means--no one is stopping them.

Most of the people who live in California and move to California from other US states are educated, upwardly-mobile professionals because California is still a land of educational and professional opportunity unlike Arizona, Idaho, or Oregon. People move to those states seeking cheaper housing and an overall lower COL, not professional opportunity, economic prosperity, or a world-class education.

After all, lots of intellectual youngsters move to Arizona to attend Arizona State University, where 95% of applicants are admitted, to receive a world-class education that will lay the foundation for and help propel them forward in their lucrative future careers in "inside sales" at shady third-party call centers in Scottsdale and Tempe. Please, don't sicken me.
First of all, that comment regarding middle class Italian males from New England is VERY prejudice and offensive. Don't be a hypocrite and accuse me of prejudice and go making comments like that.

And why are you lecturing me about the LGBT friendliness of CA? I didn't make any statements regarding that, as it's not debatable.

It's also not debatable that California is literally losing white population at a very high, steady rate of about 100,000 per year. Look it up. I did. The state is an epic disaster on virtually all measures -- politically, economically and standard of living wise. The state is too large to manage and there are talks of splitting it into 6 states. The roads are some of the worst in the nation. And public transit is confined to only a few trite areas. You should watch the video on YouTube "55 reasons why California is the Worst State Ever." It's truly eye opening.

Also, the main areas of civilization (LA, SD, SF) are way, way overpopulated and congested and ultra expensive. It's an extreme place to live.

The state is also very Latin oriented, which is annoying IMO. Too much "San" and "Los" and "Ranchero" and "Coronado" and crap. I'd rather see street names such as "Fairfield Ave" or "Washington Blvd" or "Greenwich Ave." The Los Angeles Metro Area population is now only 30% white. However, if you are white and comfortable being a racial minority, then it's a non issue!

CA in general is a very conservative state, except for the coastal region. Most of the counties were won by Mitt Romney in 2012. Back in 2008, people actually voted to ban gay marriage (Prop. 8). Outside of SF and the Bay area, the state is no more or less gay friendly than New England or the Pacific Northwest or anywhere in the BosWash Corridor, or South Florida. Furthermore, the gay meccas of CA are some of the most (if not THE most) pretentious, superficial, very-high standard gay communities in the country. Too many guys that are "beautiful and stupid." Virtually all of my gay friends that live there say how hard it is to find a boyfriend, etc.

CA growth is now on par with the Northeast, likely due to high cost of living and not enough opportunities unless you're in the tech industry in NorCal. Slower growth than the national average. People are fleeing. The state's population is shrinking as a percentage of the total U.S. population, as other states experience rapid growth, such as TX, FL, AZ, etc.

Anyway, to the OP....go ahead...move to California. Just be prepared to be a renter for life. Oh, and learn how to speak Spanish!

Last edited by nep321; 08-07-2014 at 02:41 PM..

Old 08-08-2014, 08:31 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
I think it sounds like you love California, and that makes sense. Nothing wrong with it if you have the money, but that's the huge issue. Most Americans don't have the cash to enjoy what you want to enjoy by living in California. The neighborhoods, beachtowns and lifestyles you see on TV for "California" are out of reach for most people.

I love San Fran, and I make a lot of money, but it's just to the level that I can live in Chicago and get so much out of housing, the city, etc at a FAR cheaper cost than San Fran. People make more there to compensate, and it's a wealthy city for the most part, but with rents over three times that of the average American city, it's been priced out for most people to live there.

http://www.sfgate.com/business/netwo...-7-5626591.php

http://blog.sfgate.com/pender/2014/0...ase-in-supply/

The question is - how much would you make??

Old 08-08-2014, 09:52 AM

12 posts, read 16,125 times
I have no idea, have not discussed this that deeply with managers yet. A wild guess is that it would at least be 75k + overtime, I think it would be more though.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:09 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hag87 View Post
I have no idea, have not discussed this that deeply with managers yet. A wild guess is that it would at least be 75k + overtime, I think it would be more though.
That's not great for NorCal, where the median household income is close to $90K. But in SoCal it's easily doable.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
In terms of housing costs, Long Beach is one of the best beachfront bargains in all of Southern California. For example, when I move back to Long Beach later this month, I'll be renting a recently renovated ~1,000 sq. ft. apt. one block from the beach for $1,550/month, which includes most utilities plus a $100/month parking fee. Parking is obviously at a premium, since the apt. is so close to the beach.

While that may seem expensive to some, esp. those hailing from the middle of the country, I will have you know that by coastal California, West Coast, AND US standards, that's a steal. One of my closest friends in Boca Raton, FL, where I lived for years, rents a gorgeous, recently-renovated 2,000 sq. ft. luxury apt. only blocks from the beach for around $1,600/month. But it's still Florida. I learned a long time ago that life is much more than a big, cheap, new cracker-jack box home, and that's why I'm moving back to California from Arizona.

Although I'm not too crazy about the stronger "Middle-American" vibe in Denver compared to most other Western cities, I will say that Denver is a much better alternative to LA/Long Beach than transient pipe-dream cities like Phoenix and Vegas--generally younger, better educated, more intellectual populace; stronger, more robust job market, esp. for educated professionals; more cultural amenities and offerings; and so forth. However, for someone who spent years in South Florida such as myself, the thought of Denver gives me the chills.
Yeah, but Denver doesn't have gators/pythons/deadly frogs/flying cockroaches/palmetto bugs/mosquitoes/oppressive humidity. The thought of Miami gives me the willies Although my preference is still L.A. It looks like the tropics, minus the humidity and creepy-crawlies.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I think it sounds like you love California, and that makes sense. Nothing wrong with it if you have the money, but that's the huge issue. Most Americans don't have the cash to enjoy what you want to enjoy by living in California. The neighborhoods, beachtowns and lifestyles you see on TV for "California" are out of reach for most people.

I love San Fran, and I make a lot of money, but it's just to the level that I can live in Chicago and get so much out of housing, the city, etc at a FAR cheaper cost than San Fran. People make more there to compensate, and it's a wealthy city for the most part, but with rents over three times that of the average American city, it's been priced out for most people to live there.

$1 million city: S.F. median home price hits 7 figures for 1st time - SFGate

Bay Area rents soar, despite increase in supply - Kathleen Pender – Net Worth Plus

The question is - how much would you make??
Yeah, I work with people in San Francisco and one was recently telling me how she shares a 3 bdr., 1 bath apartment with two other people in SF and their rent was just raised to a little over $6000 I'm sorry, but no location on earth is worth that sort of rent. And to be sharing the place on top of that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.