U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 11:36 AM

421 posts, read 467,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SthrnCarolinaGrl View Post
LOL! Not even in the South do we walk around grinning saying that everything is super, while giving our number to someone we've spoken to for 10 minutes. I can't think of anywhere this would apply in the entire US.

Wow!
While not at a super market, it was common to invite strangers to you house for play groups. People from other countries would be amazed and a little concerned about it. I live in Houston. Also, I know about the check out ladies grand kids, one it know she is in college, etc.

In the small town I grew up in in the pacific north west, phone numbers were often exchanged on first meeting.

And here, I smile often and ask people how they are, people do the same. Small talk on elevators. Chatting with a neighbor when they walk their dogs by.

Maybe not "super" (I think I only say super when I say I am going to super target), but a lot of Americans have a very in your face friendliness that seems fake or off putting. Its part of my culture and I like it. Seeing someone in an up beat mood lifts my mood. But I could see if it wasn't your normal it would seem fake, weird or even rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 11:38 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,827,316 times
Heck yes. Customers will scream and yell over the most trivial matters in order to get their way. People never used to talk to each other with such disrespect. It boggles the mind as to how ignorant Americans have become.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:47 AM

12,685 posts, read 8,750,439 times
Rude? No. Certain behaviours though can be interpreted as rude. I travel to the US a fair bit and the people I meet are friendly and outgoing. I even got delayed a bit while filling my car because myself, a UPS van driver and another driver got into a conversation about where I was from having seen my cars plate.
I've mentioned in other posts that in the service industry, serving staff in restaurants etc, you get an " uh huh " instead of "you're welcome " most of the time and that does does dismissive to Canadian ears even though that person isn't being so.

Yes…certain Americans do come across with a little too much bravado and don't seem to realize that some of there questions and statements are rude sounding…but then I've had the same feeling from certain Europeans as well.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:12 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,177,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Heck yes. Customers will scream and yell over the most trivial matters in order to get their way. People never used to talk to each other with such disrespect. It boggles the mind as to how ignorant Americans have become.
...why do people think this?

Being rude and arguing over some of the most insignificant things is nothing new. A-holes have been around for centuries.

Ignorance (it's not just this country, but still) is nothing new, either.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:16 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,944,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I thought Americans have a rep. among Europeans as being too fake friendly.

I have never heard Europeans call Americans generally rude. Loud, yes. Fake, yes. But not rude.
This exactly. And ignorant and naive. But not rude.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:17 PM

9,701 posts, read 7,250,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SthrnCarolinaGrl View Post
LOL! Not even in the South do we walk around grinning saying that everything is super, while giving our number to someone we've spoken to for 10 minutes. I can't think of anywhere this would apply in the entire US.

Wow!
Sorry, but I don't buy it. You honestly live in the U.S.?

You never hear people asking "How was your day"? You never have small-time chit-chat with someone you just met? You never went to a restaurant and the waiter gave his name? You never, ever heard "We should get together some time" and not really meant it?

I know lots of people in the U.S. who do this. I mean, I do this, too, at least to some extent. In Europe, people generally don't do this, so they find it odd.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:05 PM

928 posts, read 1,402,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Sorry, but I don't buy it. You honestly live in the U.S.?

You never hear people asking "How was your day"? You never have small-time chit-chat with someone you just met? You never went to a restaurant and the waiter gave his name? You never, ever heard "We should get together some time" and not really meant it?

I know lots of people in the U.S. who do this. I mean, I do this, too, at least to some extent. In Europe, people generally don't do this, so they find it odd.
This is exactly what I was thinking. Pretty sure that person doesn't even realize this is happening every day around them, because it's probably just so "normal" to them.

I've lived in Texas (born and raised there), Europe, New York, New Hampshire, Louisiana, and Connecticut. While some places are friendlier than others, in every single one of these places is it very common for strangers to ask you about how your day is going, compliment you on your outfit/hair/shoes/etc... This isn't so normal in other parts of the world.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:07 AM

626 posts, read 575,438 times
I don't think Americans have that reputation at all, I've never ever heard someone refer to Americans as rude. I've always wondered if places within the U.S that are known for havng rude residents(New England, NY), would appear overly friendly in in certain parts of Europe(not all of Europe is cold and distant), I found New Yorkers a bit more smiley and friendly compared to Londoners for example.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:40 AM

23,074 posts, read 35,028,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
Wondering if you guys have heard this before. I know many cities, states, and countries all have their little reputations and stereotypes, such as "Californians are laid-back" or "New Yorkers are really competitive" or "Russians are cold and uninviting". Have you guys ever heard the stereotype that Americans as a whole are "Rude"? I had never heard this before, but my Danish friend who visited a few months ago was so surprised how many Americans who were strangers to her were so friendly and nice. She said she had always heard that Americans were rude.

I have friends from all over the world but I had never heard this stereotype from any of them before. Do you think it is a distinctly Danish interpretation of our American behavior/attitudes?
Last time I was in Copenhagen there was a fat guy wearing a thong and smoking a hookah on the front lawn of the local Anglican church. It's not like they have a lot of room to talk.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:22 AM

56,053 posts, read 54,552,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Last time I was in Copenhagen there was a fat guy wearing a thong and smoking a hookah on the front lawn of the local Anglican church. It's not like they have a lot of room to talk.
Now there's a postcard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or