U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 11:23 AM

2,483 posts, read 3,542,616 times

Advertisements

I never know how to answer that question and I need some help…

Childhood:
Born: Hawaii -- moved before age 2 (< 2 years)
P-K: Washington -- moved at age 5 (<3 years)
K-5 Grade: So. Virginia -- moved at about age 10 (< 7 years)
5-9 Grade: California (Central and Southern) (< 5 years)
10-12 Grade: No. Virginia (< 3 years)

Adulthood:
Northern CA (Sierras/Humboldt) -- < 1 year
San Diego County -- < 4 years
LA/Orange County -- < 5 years
SF BAY area -- < 11 years (split between several homes, but all in the same general area of Sil. Valley)
Colorado -- < 6 years

SO WHERE THE HECK AM I FROM?…

I lived in CA for a total of over 20 years of my life, so if we're going by longevity in a single state, then CA clearly wins, but that was split between many places in the state and doesn't count if I'm talking to other CA'ans. I have family in CO going back for generations and am probably here for good now, but it's only been 6 years to hard to convoke people I'm 'from here', especially since I didn't even arrive until almost age 40. It;s tempting to say Hawaii since I was born there, but when people know that I moved at like age 1 or 2, its laughable to say I'm from there. And it's not really a bragging right I care to have anyways. Most of my childhood (before 18) was actually in VA, but I will never go back by choice and no way am I ever claiming to be from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 11:28 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,146,250 times
Well, if you're talking purely by state, then California hands down. However, since statewide nativity is less relevant than localized nativity, I would say you're from Colorado now (whichever area within CO that may be).

Old 08-07-2014, 11:32 AM

35,108 posts, read 40,315,638 times
I just say I am originally from God and my Mother since I grew up in about 15 different states before I was 15 years old.
You could also just state the current area you are living as where you are from then if asked for details provide whatever details you feel are appropriate.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:56 PM

13,241 posts, read 24,459,300 times
I'm saying Virginia and California, with a preference for that place you lived from K-5.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:23 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,146,250 times
In my opinion, a good rule of thumb to determine where you're from, would be as follows. Here is a basic example.

Suppose you live in Place A for 10 years. Then, you move to Place B and live there for 5 years. Every year of living in Place B should subtract one year of having lived in Place A. Therefore, after 5 years of living in Place B, you're nativity level of Place A has degraded down to 5 years. At this point, your nativity level of Place B is also 5 years. That is the point of inflection and from then on you can say you're from Place B. Every year of living in a new place means you are becoming more and more disconnected with your previous place(s) and "losing nativity," if that makes any sense.

Under this methodology, you would be considered from California, if talking about which STATE you are from. However, since you've lived in numerous metropolitan areas within California, you would be considered to be from your Colorado metro area, if talking about which METRO AREA you are from.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:30 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,757,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
I never know how to answer that question and I need some help…

Childhood:
Born: Hawaii -- moved before age 2 (< 2 years)
P-K: Washington -- moved at age 5 (<3 years)
K-5 Grade: So. Virginia -- moved at about age 10 (< 7 years)
5-9 Grade: California (Central and Southern) (< 5 years)
10-12 Grade: No. Virginia (< 3 years)

Adulthood:
Northern CA (Sierras/Humboldt) -- < 1 year
San Diego County -- < 4 years
LA/Orange County -- < 5 years
SF BAY area -- < 11 years (split between several homes, but all in the same general area of Sil. Valley)
Colorado -- < 6 years

SO WHERE THE HECK AM I FROM?…
I had a very similar kind of upbringing, and carried that same nomadic existence into my adulthood. I just tell people I'm from all over the place, because essentially that's the truth.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:06 PM

308 posts, read 403,295 times
I would just tell people that you've lived most of your life in CA and CO.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:21 PM

195 posts, read 235,742 times
You're from America.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:44 PM

3,806 posts, read 5,206,129 times
I would guess Kenya.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:18 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,542,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
In my opinion, a good rule of thumb to determine where you're from, would be as follows. Here is a basic example.

Suppose you live in Place A for 10 years. Then, you move to Place B and live there for 5 years. Every year of living in Place B should subtract one year of having lived in Place A. Therefore, after 5 years of living in Place B, you're nativity level of Place A has degraded down to 5 years. At this point, your nativity level of Place B is also 5 years. That is the point of inflection and from then on you can say you're from Place B. Every year of living in a new place means you are becoming more and more disconnected with your previous place(s) and "losing nativity," if that makes any sense.

Under this methodology, you would be considered from California, if talking about which STATE you are from. However, since you've lived in numerous metropolitan areas within California, you would be considered to be from your Colorado metro area, if talking about which METRO AREA you are from.
ha interesting… I didn't work my own math out for each place and I know what you mean. Thanks all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or