U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 01:56 PM

56,613 posts, read 80,910,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecakecake View Post
I have a friend who likes to go visit the New England states a lot. She took a bunch of pictures of the beaches in RI, Cape Cod, Boston, and some of Maine. I think she may have been in southeastern CT too.

I gotta say, coastal New England is beautiful. I'm not a huge fan of the scenery here in upstate NY. I know some people like it for hiking and skiing purposes but neither of those activities interest me. Being on the coast is unbeatable in my opinion. And the fact that NH has no state income tax or sales tax blew my mind when I found out.

What's your favorite New England state and why? Do you like a specific state to live and a different one to visit?
Just curious as to why?

As for New England, I actually like Boston and the Hyannis portion of Cape Cod, as well as Martha's Vineyard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 01:56 PM

7,136 posts, read 9,907,336 times
Quote:
Certainly we can't be the only people on this forum who like the charm of New England???? Any other contributors?
Of course. But I was a little put off but your very first post when you said you were not a fan of the scenery of Upstate New York. Sort of blew me away. I mean Lake George, the Catskills, the Finger Lakes, the Adirondacks, the Thousand Islands, the Hudson Valley, Niagara Falls, Hello?

Anyway rant over. My favorite New England state is Massachusetts. Not that they have the best scenery - New Hampshire has the White Mountains, Maine has that rocky coastline, Vermont has the villages. But Massachusetts has a little and sometimes a lot of everything. It is a very well rounded state.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Of course. But I was a little put off but your very first post when you said you were not a fan of the scenery of Upstate New York. Sort of blew me away. I mean Lake George, the Catskills, the Finger Lakes, the Adirondacks, the Thousand Islands, the Hudson Valley, Niagara Falls, Hello?

Anyway rant over. My favorite New England state is Massachusetts. Not that they have the best scenery - New Hampshire has the White Mountains, Maine has that rocky coastline, Vermont has the villages. But Massachusetts has a little and sometimes a lot of everything. It is a very well rounded state.
I was thinking the same thing in regards to the bolded statements.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Great minds think alike.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:01 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,988 posts, read 41,967,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The Hudson is 3.1 miles wide (16,300 ft.) at the Tappan Zee. That is why there is a bridge there. To ensure it would be a nightmare to maintain and replace. Granted the Tappan Zee is an anomoly.
The Tappan Zee was built there because it's not just unusually wide, but unusually shallow. Bear Mountain Bridge is the opposite spot: narrow spot of the Hudson but deep. Good for a suspension bridge.

Quote:
The Connecticut River is under appreciated, though. It is a very significant river in American History and quite beautiful. Most people outside New England and the Northeast have never even heard of it.
Yea, I think it's not that well known. The Delaware and Sesquenhana Rivers are similar in scale.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:52 PM

308 posts, read 402,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Great minds think alike.
Wtf? LINative you didn't respond because you don't agree with my opinion? Get out of here.

I prefer the coastal scenery to the mountain/lake scenery. Living in Schenectady is mainly gloomy and run down. Sure, I go to Lake George on occasion but that's about it. I'm not really into mountains or anything like that.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Wtf? LINative you didn't respond because you don't agree with my opinion? Get out of here.

I prefer the coastal scenery to the mountain/lake scenery. Living in Schenectady is mainly gloomy and run down. Sure, I go to Lake George on occasion but that's about it. I'm not really into mountains or anything like that.
I get it. If you were open to the lake scenery, it would different. You may like something like the 1000 Islands or maybe Fair Haven, but I'm not sure about anything else up here(Sylvan Beach, The Finger Lakes, etc). There are run down areas of New England cities that have a more industrial character, but people don't associate that with New England. Places like Geneva, Canadaigua, Plattsburgh, parts of other cities and many villages have that New England look/feel though.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:55 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,325,008 times
Maine hands down is the best part of New England, the drive up US 1 is scenic with a lot of nice little towns and Acadia National Park and Baxter State Park can't be beat.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:

Actually if you looked, I did respond to you in post 12. Its Massachusetts. She has an fine coastline, with both sandy and rocky beaches, but she also has great cities and towns, lots of history, beautiful countryside and the Berkshires. A very well rounded state.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to be near the coastline, I don't blame you. Where do you think I live? However, I just do not agree with your opinion in general about Upstate NY. Lots of mountains, forests and lakes. Yeah maybe some of the cities are run down but so what if its near the coast or not? And for instance, what about Vermont? Or the White Mountains of New Hampshire?

Old 08-08-2014, 06:05 PM

9,432 posts, read 18,331,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Unfortunately, New England is probably the most hated sub-region in the U.S., on this forum. Most people on here have negative opinions about it, or just plain don't care about it. Most people immediately disregard it simply because of the long, cold winters, allegedly rude and snooty people, and high cost of living.
Based on the local New England C-D threads, yeah people b**ch and moan about the place. Real world experience, I wouldn't say most hated. I think Texas and California take a lot more heat than New England.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Personally, I think it's a beautiful, charming region with unparalleled history, excellent education and healthcare, nice architecture and amazing summers. And the New England states are the most progressive in the nation when it comes to public policy. The first states to have gay marriage, universal healthcare, higher minimum wages and a state centralized bank.
Yeah see I have wonder lust, I love the West, and I have roots in New England. It's a blessing and a curse. When I'm there I dream about the west, and there are many moments out here where it feels like a dream. But then I go back home and visit in either the summer or fall and New England starts tugging at my heart strings. I miss my family and I miss all the fun I'd have back there and I think about moving back. It's like a ping pong match in my head. It goes without saying Mass has much higher wages than NM, but Ironically I'm doing better in my career and financially here than I ever did back in Mass so I need to stick around here for a while. That's OK, I just wish I cold get back there to visit more often.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 08-08-2014 at 06:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.