U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 06:21 PM

9,446 posts, read 18,363,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Of course. But I was a little put off but your very first post when you said you were not a fan of the scenery of Upstate New York. Sort of blew me away. I mean Lake George, the Catskills, the Finger Lakes, the Adirondacks, the Thousand Islands, the Hudson Valley, Niagara Falls, Hello?
I agree, Upstate NY is amazing. More for the places you mentioned but for the cities not so much. They're not bad per se and they have remarkable pockets, but they are just kind of meh. The Adirondacks are truly remarkable though with all the preserved land and tons of lakes and excellent skiing at Lake Placid. It's a great year round destination, there is always something to do. Hiking through the gorges and waterfalls around Ithaca were incredible as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
My favorite New England state is Massachusetts. Not that they have the best scenery - New Hampshire has the White Mountains, Maine has that rocky coastline, Vermont has the villages. But Massachusetts has a little and sometimes a lot of everything. It is a very well rounded state.
Agreed. The Berkshires are like Vermont lite. Gloucester/Cape Ann area is a lot like Maine's rocky shores. Then it has its own trademarks like Cape Cod, Marthas Vineyard, and Nantucket. Add in Boston and its metro area with the rural parts to the West and it is indeed a very well rounded state.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 08-08-2014 at 06:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 07:14 PM

165 posts, read 151,588 times
Gees! Hard one, but I'd have to go with New Hampshire and Mass.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:49 PM

56,752 posts, read 81,082,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecakecake View Post
Wtf? LINative you didn't respond because you don't agree with my opinion? Get out of here.

I prefer the coastal scenery to the mountain/lake scenery. Living in Schenectady is mainly gloomy and run down. Sure, I go to Lake George on occasion but that's about it. I'm not really into mountains or anything like that.
Just wondering, but do you ever go places like the Stockade, Upper Union, the GE Plot, the Union Triangle, Woodlawn, Bellevue and Jay Street in Downtown?

The Stockade definitely has that old New England feel: The Stockade Association | Committed to protecting, preserving and improving New York's first historic district.
Stockade Historic District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To the other posters, I have a question. I've only been to Martha's Vineyard, but before taking the ferry from Hyannis, a lady suggested Nantucket instead. Is there a big difference between the two in terms of vibe, the amount of people, etc or are the differences between the two minimal?

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-08-2014 at 07:58 PM..

Old 08-09-2014, 07:38 PM

15,535 posts, read 17,773,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The Tappan Zee was built there because it's not just unusually wide, but unusually shallow. Bear Mountain Bridge is the opposite spot: narrow spot of the Hudson but deep. Good for a suspension bridge.
I know, my comment was more tongue in cheek than anything else. However the TZ bridge is a nightmare on several levels. It provides great views, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Yea, I think it's not that well known. The Delaware and Sesquenhana Rivers are similar in scale.
Another pair of rivers I know fairly well (especially the upper Delaware) and are certainly underrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
When I'm there I dream about the west, and there are many moments out here where it feels like a dream. But then I go back home and visit in either the summer or fall and New England starts tugging at my heart strings. I miss my family and I miss all the fun I'd have back there and I think about moving back. It's like a ping pong match in my head. It goes without saying Mass has much higher wages than NM, but Ironically I'm doing better in my career and financially here than I ever did back in Mass so I need to stick around here for a while. That's OK, I just wish I cold get back there to visit more often.
I did had that ping pong match going on for 10 years, then another 10 years of classic 'Land of Entrapment' It could be worse, for a low rated state, New Mexico really plays above its league in many important areas. However after twenty years here I am definitely ready to go back to the Northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.