Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 06:01 PM

308 posts, read 506,351 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who likes to go visit the New England states a lot. She took a bunch of pictures of the beaches in RI, Cape Cod, Boston, and some of Maine. I think she may have been in southeastern CT too.

I gotta say, coastal New England is beautiful. I'm not a huge fan of the scenery here in upstate NY. I know some people like it for hiking and skiing purposes but neither of those activities interest me. Being on the coast is unbeatable in my opinion. And the fact that NH has no state income tax or sales tax blew my mind when I found out.

What's your favorite New England state and why? Do you like a specific state to live and a different one to visit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 06:08 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
New England native here from Massachusetts. If I moved back I'd probably move to Maine. Portland has a lot of charm and very decent amenities for a small city. Maine has the most rugged and wild beauty from its the rocky shores at Acadia to the deep and remote forests of Northern Maine. It has impressive mountains (for back East anyway) like Katahdin and sandy beaches at the southern end of the state. Overall a very good variety of terrain and a some distinctions different from other New England states.

For visiting it's a toss up between Vermont and Rhode Island. Block Island is probably my favorite island on the East Coast and I love Federal Hill in Providence. In Vermont, Lake Champlain is my favorite lake in the US and the best sunsets in New England are from the Burlington waterfront. Vermont also has the best skiing back East.

For my original home state I'll always have a place in my heart for Boston, mainly by loyalty and sports teams though it's not an agreeable city for me to live in or near. It's just way too congested for my liking. Salem was a fun place to live for a while and it has the best Halloween anywhere. I loved October and holiday seasons in New England. My family still has a cottage near Cape Cod on a sandy kettle pond, I love swimming down there. Cape Cod summers are a lot fun though winter is pretty boring there.

The best thing about New England is you don't necessarily have to pick a favorite state, they're all so close to one another. From Boston you can get to New Hampshire in under an hour, Rhode Island in an hour, Maine state line is an hour and 15 minutes, Connecticut and Vermont are just two hours away.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 08-07-2014 at 07:22 PM..

Old 08-07-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
New England native here from Massachusetts. If I moved back I'd probably move to Maine. Portland has a lot of charm and decent amenities for a small city. Maine has the most rugged and wild beauty from its the rocky shores at Acadia to the deep and remote forests of Northern Maine. It has impressive mountains (for back East anyway) like Katahdin and sandy beaches in the southern end of the state. Overall a very good variety of terrain and a some distinctions different from other New England states.
Yeah Maine certainly has a lot of nice things about it. Personally not sure if I would want to live there but I'd be down for a weekend trip.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:48 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
I would say either Maine or New Hampshire because of the more rugged scenery and terrain, and lots of coniferous trees. It's almost like Oregon lite. But ALL six New England states are uniquely different and have interesting sites to see. Massachusetts and Connecticut have numerous small town centers about every 5-10 miles apart, everywhere. They're usually very quaint, colorful and full of charm. No other region in the U.S. has this type of wide scale charm for tens of miles on end. Most New England states are 100% incorporated as cities, towns or boroughs. There's no such thing as a city or town expanding it's borders or annexing anymore, except on extremely rare occasion. No such thing as "living in the county." The Connecticut River is also nice to see, too. It's the widest river east of the Missisippi River. Boston is neat, too, although it's really a huge college town. I couldn't live anywhere within 50 miles of Boston though, because it's just too congested and expensive, as others above have said.

Western MA is beautiful too, with the Berkshires.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:18 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
The Connecticut River is also nice to see, too. It's the widest river east of the Missisippi River.
I'm pretty sure the Hudson has more width. Being in CT I'm sure you've probably crossed the Tappan Zee Bridge at some point, it's got more width than any crossing I've see on the Connecticut River. Nonetheless it is a very beautiful river.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:45 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
The Hudson is 3.1 miles wide (16,300 ft.) at the Tappan Zee. That is why there is a bridge there. To ensure it would be a nightmare to maintain and replace. Granted the Tappan Zee is an anomoly.

By comparison, the widest point on the Connecticut River is 2,100 ft.

The Connecticut River is under appreciated, though. It is a very significant river in American History and quite beautiful. Most people outside New England and the Northeast have never even heard of it.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
I'm pretty sure the Hudson has more width. Being in CT I'm sure you've probably crossed the Tappan Zee Bridge at some point, it's got more width than any crossing I've see on the Connecticut River. Nonetheless it is a very beautiful river.
Maybe it's not the widest, but I remember it's the ____est something east of the Mississippi.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:47 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
The Connecticut River is the longest river in New England and was designated one of only 14 American Heritage Rivers, which recognized its "distinctive natural, economic, agricultural, scenic, historic, cultural and recreational qualities."

It is clean enough to be fishable and swimmable. It goes from wilderness whitewater to an urban river through Springfield and Hartford, to a tidal estuary. It is a remarkable river.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:47 PM

Certainly we can't be the only people on this forum who like the charm of New England???? Any other contributors?

Old 08-08-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecakecake View Post
Certainly we can't be the only people on this forum who like the charm of New England???? Any other contributors?
Unfortunately, New England is probably the most hated sub-region in the U.S., on this forum. Most people on here have negative opinions about it, or just plain don't care about it. Most people immediately disregard it simply because of the long, cold winters, allegedly rude and snooty people, and high cost of living. It's rarely ever recommended to people on here asking for relocation advice, too. Personally, I think it's a beautiful, charming region with unparalleled history, excellent education and healthcare, nice architecture and amazing summers. And the New England states are the most progressive in the nation when it comes to public policy. The first states to have gay marriage, universal healthcare, higher minimum wages and a state centralized bank.

Last edited by nep321; 08-08-2014 at 02:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.