Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 10:58 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times

Advertisements

Florida

Myths: It's always hot and humid, the average age is 50, it's covered in palm tree lined beaches, the southeast side requires Spanish language skills to live in, daily life resembles your last vacation at Dizzy World, all strange/weird news events originate in Florida, hurricanes are a consistent threat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 12:09 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Florida

Myths: It's always hot and humid, the average age is 50, it's covered in palm tree lined beaches, the southeast side requires Spanish language skills to live in, daily life resembles your last vacation at Dizzy World, all strange/weird news events originate in Florida, hurricanes are a consistent threat.
Sounds about right, though average age is more like 60

Old 08-09-2014, 10:44 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Many people don't seem to know that New York City is a city within New York State.
Or what most of the rest of the state of New York looks like.

Or that except for the Bronx, the city is on islands. And that NJ lies west of the city but south of the rest of New York. We always are explaining to people who want to live in Jersey and commute to the city that it's going to take longer than you think because a quarter million other people are trying to cross that river at the same time as you.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right To Life View Post
Lot of people from Michigan in SC. Hear about MI forests and all that. Just looking at state on map I think most would assume most of it is like Canada.

In a way, I never really associate Detroit with Michigan. I know it is up on the big lake but when I hear Detroit I only think Detroit.
Same here. I'm of Dutch descent as are a number of NJ people, and Michigan also had a lot of Dutch. People I've known have had relatives in Michigan and visited there. I always thought of it as wooded and in connection with the Great Lakes.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There is nothing to see or do in Maryland. Forget that it is one of the richest and most densely populated states with mountains, beaches and everything in between. It is still an empty zone between Pennsylvania and Virginia. LOL
I like Maryland! That's a state I would consider moving to for the features you mentioned. It has everything and proximity to major cities, as well.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:43 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Same here. I'm of Dutch descent as are a number of NJ people, and Michigan also had a lot of Dutch. People I've known have had relatives in Michigan and visited there. I always thought of it as wooded and in connection with the Great Lakes.
The Southern 1/3rd of Michigan is actually pretty populated. 9.9million people in the state 4million of them live in the 3 county immediate Detroit region. If you drew a line across the state at Saginaw that's another 1.3 million north. That's a good 4.6 million people scattered from Ann Arbor to the west. So it's not just Detroit and then beautiful forest

Probably the biggest peeve I had about the Michigan stereotype when I lived there was the Economy. That it's this washed up has been manufacturing center that has been mismanaged and has no future. Where I lived on the western side of the state the economy has been outpacing the national average in job growth and economic diversity for years. But Grand Rapids and it's lakeshore counter parts have long been under the national radar.

Old 08-10-2014, 02:46 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,439,018 times
Default I've got two from states I've lived in:

Connecticut (from outside New England): That you are/should be an automatic fan of the Red Sox or other Boston teams/should have Boston accent. When in fact 2/3rs of the state is within 90 miles of New York City and most are NY sports fans.

Virginia (from the Northeast): That they are southern hicks. Forgetting that most Virginian's they meet are from Northern Virginia which is not in southern.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:17 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Florida

The thing about strange news events is not a myth. That is a fact.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:25 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,646,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
The "drunk" one is truth, though!
From my one time being in Wisconsin, I would say this is true for sure!

Old 08-12-2014, 05:39 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I remember someone telling me this saying about PA being Philly on one side, Pitt on the other, and Alabama in between.
That's actually one of the biggest myths of all about Pennsylvania, especially when you consider the following:

1. Pennsylvania hasn't gone Republican in a presidential election since 1988.

2. Pennsylvania is one of the most Catholic states, and is heavily Catholic even in the rural areas, whereas Alabama is one of the most Baptist states.

3. Rural Pennsylvania doesn't suffer nearly as much from poverty, obesity, drug abuse, teen pregnancy or STDs as Alabama, and has a significantly higher percentage of residents with high-school diplomas and health insurance.

4. Pennsylvania and Alabama each have 67 counties, but only seven counties in Pennsylvania gave Mitt Romney 70% of the vote in 2012, versus 27 such counties in Alabama. In fact, eight counties in Alabama gave Romney 80% of the vote.

Considering that James Carville is the one who came up with the Philadelphia/Pittsburgh/Alabama notion when analyzing voting patterns, I think that last point directly refutes it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.