U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 05:50 PM

15,523 posts, read 17,750,904 times

Advertisements

I have always heard West Virginia or Kentucky 'up the middle'.

Makes more sense since the reason for the comparison is Appalachian culture that is present in PA, not Deep South culture (though I recognize thst there is some Appalachian culture in Alabama, too.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 07:26 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,990 posts, read 41,998,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
And we're all white, pot-smoking, flannel wearing log cabin dwellers.
i thought that was Vermont? Except for the log cabins.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:51 PM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 29 days ago)

9,844 posts, read 21,150,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
And we're all white, pot-smoking, flannel wearing log cabin dwellers.
As opposed to Kentucky and West Virginia, where people live in cabins and grow pot

Old 08-14-2014, 03:14 PM

Kentucky has 2 opposing stereotypes

1. Everyone lives in a 30 year old trailer and lives off gov't benefits. On Sunday they go to a church that handles snakes. Everyone is obese and dies by their mid 60s

2. Everyone owns a horse farm and distills bourbon

While there is a horse farming region around Lexington and SE Kentucky is the poorest region of the USA most Kentuckians aren't exactly either. I lived in Lexington as a teen and maybe 1% of the population is employed by the horse industry. It's large in land area in the metro area of Lexington but hardly anyone lives on horse farms. Most people work in health care, education, or auto manufacturing (Toyota has an enormous factory north of Lex).

SE KY does have tons of issues (in some counties half the "income" is SS checks) most or rural KY is in line with the rural South in being a bit below the national average in income and health but nothing as bad as the mountain areas.

And NO I don't know anyone who is married to a close relative LOL. That was common everywhere 100 years ago. FDR as from NYC and was married to a cousin.

Some interesting facts about Kentucky.

1. It is one of the leading auto producing states. Toyota Camry, Ford F150, and Ford Escape are all made exclusively in KY for the North American market
2. Lexington KY ranks among the top 10 of cities with over 250k residents in percent with a bachelor's degree (39%)
3. Horse farming became popular in Central KY because the soil naturally contains more calcium than most soil. In the early 1800s it was noticed in the early 1800s that Central KY raised horses were injured less often, so it became a hotbed area to raise race horses. Now you can feed horses calcium infused oats so there's no advantage between KY or the Sahara desert

Old 08-14-2014, 04:26 PM

3,961 posts, read 3,496,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Kentucky has 2 opposing stereotypes

1. Everyone lives in a 30 year old trailer and lives off gov't benefits. On Sunday they go to a church that handles snakes. Everyone is obese and dies by their mid 60s

2. Everyone owns a horse farm and distills bourbon

While there is a horse farming region around Lexington and SE Kentucky is the poorest region of the USA most Kentuckians aren't exactly either. I lived in Lexington as a teen and maybe 1% of the population is employed by the horse industry. It's large in land area in the metro area of Lexington but hardly anyone lives on horse farms. Most people work in health care, education, or auto manufacturing (Toyota has an enormous factory north of Lex).

SE KY does have tons of issues (in some counties half the "income" is SS checks) most or rural KY is in line with the rural South in being a bit below the national average in income and health but nothing as bad as the mountain areas.

And NO I don't know anyone who is married to a close relative LOL. That was common everywhere 100 years ago. FDR as from NYC and was married to a cousin.

Some interesting facts about Kentucky.

1. It is one of the leading auto producing states. Toyota Camry, Ford F150, and Ford Escape are all made exclusively in KY for the North American market
2. Lexington KY ranks among the top 10 of cities with over 250k residents in percent with a bachelor's degree (39%)
3. Horse farming became popular in Central KY because the soil naturally contains more calcium than most soil. In the early 1800s it was noticed in the early 1800s that Central KY raised horses were injured less often, so it became a hotbed area to raise race horses. Now you can feed horses calcium infused oats so there's no advantage between KY or the Sahara desert
Where I live on Louisville's east end is really nice, I had no idea how nice suburban Louisville was until I moved here, I love it. Quick Fact check, it's not the F150 that's produced in KY it's the Superduty 250 and above, along with the U222 programs ( Explorer/Navigator) F150 is assembled in Kansas City and Detroit. It is for these very vehicles at Ford KY Truck that brought me here

Old 08-15-2014, 08:03 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,400,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
...Some interesting facts about Kentucky...
I can't give you any more rep, but I have to say that this kind of post is exactly what this thread should deliver. I learned several interesting KY facts and insights in under a minute by an informed local.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:42 AM

22,592 posts, read 12,344,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post

Considering that James Carville is the one who came up with the Philadelphia/Pittsburgh/Alabama notion when analyzing voting patterns, I think that last point directly refutes it.
Exactly right. The myth about "Philly in the east, the 'Burgh in the west, and Alabama in between" is indeed a myth. There are regions of solidly Democrat strongholds and union support in the Lehigh Valley (Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton), the Wyoming Valley (Scranton-Pittston-Wilkes Barre), Erie, Harrisburg city limits, parts of Bucks, Chester and Montgomery Counties, State College, etc.

Philadelphia:

It is one of the worst crime cities. Not true. Philly never makes the lists of the most crimes, and crime has been diminishing year after year to the point where we have less crime than we had in 1960. There are still some bad neighborhoods, but the majority are rather safe and walkable.

It is an ugly, run-down, decaying city. In fact there is a construction boom going on. Visitors are astonished by the beauty of the city because of it's well maintained public parks, world class museums, architectural heritage, gorgeous fountains and statuary, and is one of the best restaurant destinations. The population of the city has been growing since 2000, and under construction is the tallest skyscraper in the US outside of NYC and Chicago.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:34 AM

The one "exotic" place I have family in is Philadelphia, Delaware Co to be exact. My perception was everyone is an Italian gangster, there are mafia shootouts on the freeway, most of the city is dirty and crime ridden, the people are rude and all about home. My family from rural KY that had visited my family there said they lived in a tiny townhouse with no room and that people deal drugs on their front porch

In reality I found greater Philadelphia to be mostly very clean and safe, the people were friendly (not as extroverted as rural KY but still helpful and never rude), there is lots of greenspace (deer actually graze alongside the "beltline" I-476), the drivers weren't aggressive (Lexington and Louisville are actually worse IMO), and the area my family lives in is actually quite safe and clean while also being racially and ethnically diverse. They have a lot of room, it's just amongst 3 levels rather than being a spread out ranch house, there's a small back yard behind them and Cobbs Creek Park is beyond it.

Everyone agrees that Philly has better hoagies than KY LOL. Might as well go to Subway here

Old 08-15-2014, 09:36 AM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,187,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Texas

That we're all right wing fanatics-

Texas is actually a moderate state when it comes to most people that you'll have day to day interactions with. It's just the GOP is so much more well organized in this state.

Everybody is a cowboy-

No explanation needed.

There are no black people-

Texas actually has the second highest black population in the country and is about the be the only state with two metro areas with a black population over 1 million (Houston and Dallas).
....just to add to your list:

"Texas is all flat"
Go to El Paso, Austin, and even parts of Dallas and Fort Worth, then come back and tell me the same.

"It never snows or gets cold"
Sure, the majority of the state doesn't get any 'real' snow for most of the year, but if that stereotype didn't die when America saw the Metroplex covered in ice during Super Bowl XLV, I don't know what will kill it.

"Every Texan has a gun"
Certainly not true. I know more people who hate guns than have them. Honestly, I don't think it's that much different from any other state.

"All of Texas looks the same."
From the mountains in Big Bend, to plains of Central Texas. The desert and Permian basin out west to the forest and swamps in the east. There's coastline on the gulf and hills in San Antonio. If you can't find beauty in any of that, there's something wrong with you.

"Texans are all Bible-thumping, gay bashing Christian fanatics."
Let's see, our largest city has an openly lesbian mayor in her second term and we have "gayborhoods" like the Oak Lawn (the most notable) in Dallas. There are people of many different religions and faiths who were born and raised in this state. Even Texas Christian University is basically just a "Christian-in-name-only" school. If you've ever been on campus, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. Ask some of my atheist friends (and there are more than just a couple...) And of course, there's Austin.

"There's nothing but country music there"
Beyoncé, Pantera, Selena, ZZ Top, Paul Wall, Z-Ro, Chamillionaire, Flyleaf, Blue October, Geto Boys, UGK, Buddy Holly, Van Cliburn, Janis Joplin, Erykah Badu, The Toadies, Kirk Franklin, Butthole Surfers, The Big Bopper, Stevie Ray Vaughan...

If ya don't know a couple, Google is your friend.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:49 AM

4,403 posts, read 4,611,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
The most common Wisconsin one is "fat," when in reality it's average in terms of obesity and better than average in health ratings. There's a very strong outdoors culture here. The fattest, most unhealthy areas are actually in the South.

Another misconception is that the beer/cheese that we're known for is just the crappy, mass-marketed kind. California (the state's main dairy competitor) is actually the industrial dairy farm state, whereas Wisconsin has more organic/boutique farms. No other states come anywhere close to Wisconsin in terms of international competition - only a few European countries can compete with Wisconsin for fine cheeses. It's the local heritage. Wisconsin is the only state to require licensed cheesemakers at every cheese plant. In fact, most cheese factories have several licensed cheesemakers on hand to oversee every vat produced. Wisconsin is the only state with certified Master Cheesemakers who have undertaken a rigorous three-year educational training and apprenticeship. The Wisconsin Master Cheesemaker program is the only one of its kind in the U.S. and is modeled after European advanced training programs.

The "drunk" one is truth, though!
WI might have the fat reputation because at one time it was one of the fattest states. When I first looked at obesity stats . in the 80s (back when obesity was rare) WI ranked high (yet NO state has numbers that low these days). WI has been near the national average for obesity for many years now. The South is by far the fattest region. Michigan not Wisconsin is the Midwestern state with the worst obesity problem.

Of course some might think WI is fat simply because they guess everyone there eats a unhealthy fattening diet and drinks beer all day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.