U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 11:57 AM

4,403 posts, read 4,612,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
List the misconceptions that people have about your state then list the facts right after. For example, a misconception for Texas might be "Everybody is a cowboy."

I will start with Washington:

Myth: Most everybody in Washington is a liberal.

Fact: Its definitely true in the Seattle area and the surrounding communities, but outside of Seattle and places like Bellingham, Olympia, San Juan Islands, and parts of the peninsula, most of the state is actually pretty conservative. Just look at this map for the 2012 governors race- most of the counties voted for the Republican.

And here is a map of the county by county vote for gay marriage- the darker the purple, the more who were against it.

Unfortunately, Seattle controls everything since that is obviously where the big population base is.

Myth: Washington is a lush, green, wet forest.

Fact: Its true for the western part of the state(West of the cascades), but a large area of the Eastern side is a semi arid region. People don't think of desert when they think of WA.

What are yours?
I had no idea Pierce County was conservative Must be because of all the military there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 12:02 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,401,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Of course some might think WI is fat simply because they guess everyone there eats a unhealthy fattening diet and drinks beer all day.
Well, many do, but walking/biking/outdoor activity is also a big deal here. It's also funny how at one time the use of dairy was considered the most fattening thing possible (despite the fact that French cooking is based around butter, and few are more in-shape than the French), even suggesting people use margerine instead of the far healthier butter. Also healthier - the more decadent-tasting local custard vs ice cream. And the cheese curds that everyone else seems to think we're talking about aren't the fried ones, it's the fresh cheese curds without any batter or frying that are only available in proper form in the state. Trust me, I've tried what upstate NY and other places pass off as "cheese curds," and I'd rather eat a gym sock.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Spot-on. I'm a liberal living in conservative Northeast WA. There are a few others here, but for the most part this is definitely GOP country on this side of the state. However, I'm not one of those people who has to be surrounded by people who think exactly the way I do, but that's neither here nor there. All I know is that there is a huge stretch of land between here and the part of the state that most people equate with their preconceived idea of what "uber-liberal" Washington is.

There is some evergreen forest up in this corner of the state, but it's nothing like the dense, lush rainforest near the coast. Not to mention the barren high desert in central WA or the rolling, grassy plains of the Palouse in Southeast WA. Most people outside of WA don't even know we have desert up here. I know it was a surprise to me when I first moved here. For it's size, Washington has a ton of diversity in precipitation, topography, climate zones, and landscapes. Part of the reason I love it here so much. You don't have to drive very far to see a dramatic change of scenery.
I am relatively new to WA and was shocked when i drove on the road between Ellensburg and Yakima. It's hardcore desert, very similar looking to the desert Southwest where i spent most of my life. Yakima itself doesn't look as deserty to me. My guess is it was when they first settled it but they made an effort to make it more green. This type of desert seems more mild to me. There are some very hot days but the weather can change. Yesterday was overcast with a high of 73. I loved that! I never experienced an August day so cool in the Southwest.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:11 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,051,521 times
"It's a dry heat," warm winters, no greenery whatsoever, extremely socially conservative and racist populace.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:45 PM

15,529 posts, read 17,755,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Well, many do, but walking/biking/outdoor activity is also a big deal here. It's also funny how at one time the use of dairy was considered the most fattening thing possible (despite the fact that French cooking is based around butter, and few are more in-shape than the French), even suggesting people use margerine instead of the far healthier butter. Also healthier - the more decadent-tasting local custard vs ice cream. And the cheese curds that everyone else seems to think we're talking about aren't the fried ones, it's the fresh cheese curds without any batter or frying that are only available in proper form in the state. Trust me, I've tried what upstate NY and other places pass off as "cheese curds," and I'd rather eat a gym sock.
Oh, come on, lte's not start a cheese war :-) But I totally agree with the rest of your post.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:16 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,754,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I am relatively new to WA and was shocked when i drove on the road between Ellensburg and Yakima. It's hardcore desert, very similar looking to the desert Southwest where i spent most of my life. Yakima itself doesn't look as deserty to me. My guess is it was when they first settled it but they made an effort to make it more green. This type of desert seems more mild to me. There are some very hot days but the weather can change. Yesterday was overcast with a high of 73. I loved that! I never experienced an August day so cool in the Southwest.
Yeah, but it isn't normal. This cool snap we've gotten recently is an anomaly (lots of those going around lately), and we're supposed to be back up to high 90's to triple-digits in a couple of days. This summer has been bizarre to say the least.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:11 AM

6,874 posts, read 6,202,349 times
In Oklahoma it's basically:

"Oklahoma is a flat, barren, treeless, dustbowl, wasteland". In reality, the eastern half of the state is mostly forested and is rolling. The western half of the state is much greener than the western half of most of our neighboring states (Kansas, Texas) and much of the western half of the state is rolling terrain.

I think in most people's "mind's eye" when they envision Oklahoma they see Odessa, Tx: which IS a flat, barren, treeless, dustbowl, wasteland………………with an ocean of oil beneath it.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
In Oklahoma it's basically:

"Oklahoma is a flat, barren, treeless, dustbowl, wasteland". In reality, the eastern half of the state is mostly forested and is rolling. The western half of the state is much greener than the western half of most of our neighboring states (Kansas, Texas) and much of the western half of the state is rolling terrain.

I think in most people's "mind's eye" when they envision Oklahoma they see Odessa, Tx: which IS a flat, barren, treeless, dustbowl, wasteland………………with an ocean of oil beneath it.
Yes Oklahoma was a lot prettier than i expected it to be. I drove through it and spent a couple days near Tulsa. Your state made a great impression on me. I liked both the way it looked and how friendly the people are.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:11 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,544,062 times
It amazes me, even if it really shouldn't, how often I can still see Montana associated with lifestyle cowboys, the militia movement and Ted Kaczynski. It seems to be a certain type of person, which I'll refrain from describing so as to not politicize this thread too much, who would claim these associations to be valid.

Granted, exploitation of the cowboy thing, and of course emphasis on scenic qualities (or "life as painted by Charles Russell") are often marketing ploys from our own tourism industry, but the residual misconceptions of the place being predominantly populated by armed and dangerous libertarians, along with criminals in hiding as grody mountain men, still remain in the minds of some as holdovers from bad press surrounding a few isolated incidents from 20 years ago (in fairness, not an incredibly long time ago).

But, most myths and misconceptions surrounding MT can't be all that negative when, for the most part, most opinion I've seen and heard ranges from indifferent to positive.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:28 AM

25 posts, read 62,213 times
Common myths and misconceptions about New York

- New York City is the only part of the state (there is also beautiful upstate and Long Island that people never think about)
- We are all very rude, obnoxious and loud
- We have strong accents that are evident in every single person who lives here
- New York is a place where ALL big dreams and stardom comes true
- We have extreme tension with Boston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.