U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 07:28 AM

44,713 posts, read 36,145,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
And for my native state of Texas:

State in general:
-everyone is a cowboy, complete with ten gallon hat, Ostrich-skin cowboy boots, and giant lone star belt-buckle
-everyone is a secessionist, and is lobbying to make Texas an independent nation
-everyone is rich, or at least not poor
-everyone is friendly, welcoming, and says "howdy, y'all!". Nobody is rude
-the whole state is either desert or prairie
-it never gets cold in the winter
-the whole state is in tornado alley
-everyone is an uber-conservative, bible-thumping Christian
-everyone drives a giant pick-up truck and works in the oil industry

Houston:
-everyone speaks with a thick, syrupy Southern drawl
-the whole city is suburban and sprawling. No urban core. No row houses. Just big ranch-style spreads sitting on huge lots
-there's no public transit. The city is 100% car-dependent
-it's extremely dangerous and violent. Gangs will get you and your mom if you wear the wrong colors in public
-immigration is a new development in Houston. Before 1980 there were only Protestant Whites, Baptist Blacks, and Catholic Mexicans
-the entire economy revolves around and is dependent on Oil & Gas
-it's majority-conservative. There are no "true" liberals
-everyone is fat, out of shape, and eats nothing but fast food, BBQ, and Tex-Mex
-there are no pretty neighborhoods. The whole city is flat, ugly, dirty, and covered in oil refineries

Dallas:
-the women all have big hair and fake boobs. The men all look like J.R. Ewing, and wear business suits with a cowboy hat and boots
-everyone speaks with a Texas twang
-there's no greenery. The whole city is brown and dusty
-everyone is a rich Republican and there are no liberals (same stereotype Houston gets)
-everyone is still hung up on the JFK assassination
-the whole city is flat as a pancake
-everyone looks down on the rest of Texas. Everyone is a snob
-everyone is fake, shallow, and trendy
-there are no ghettoes
-heavily segregated. All White on the North side, all Black on the South side
-there aren't any good restaurants

Austin:
-everyone is an uber-liberal, 20 or 30-something hipster musician/songwriter
-the ONLY liberal city in Texas (I really get sick of hearing that one)
-the whole city is within the scenic Texas hill country (only the Western suburbs are)
-the best Mexican food in Texas
-more laid back and less uptight than other big Texas cities, and traffic isn't as bad as Houston or Dallas
-the city has been taken over by California transplants
-giant college town. Everything revolves around UT
-nobody speaks in a Texas accent
-affordable COL and lots of available housing
-there's no sprawl
-there's no crime

San Antonio:
-most boring city in Texas. Outside of the riverwalk, there's nothing to do
-dominated by the military
-has an inferiority complex, and secretly wishes it could be Austin
-the only good food is Tex-Mex. Has no other food options
-has a boring, ugly skyline
-has a sluggish economy and a slow growth rate
-uber-conservative

Fort Worth:
-just another suburb of Dallas. Or at least plays 2nd fiddle to Dallas. Has no identity of it's own
-giant cowtown.
-100% Republican stronghold
-has no culture or nightlife
-secretly wishes it could be Dallas

El Paso:
-overrun with Mexican drug cartels. Shoot outs are a daily occurrence. Headless bodies and bullet casings litter the streets
-might as well be in Mexico. No different from Juarez. Full of illegal immigrants
-a million miles away from everything (ok, there is a little truth to that)
-not "truly" Texan. Belongs in New Mexico
Hahahahhahaha, I couldn't rep you again so soon, but you hit it spot on with this one.

I do have a little recent story though, that lends a bit of credibility to some of the stereotypes about Dallas. I was recently shopping for shoes at Nordstrom and fell into the hands of the consummate shoe salesman. Now - I had gone to the Galleria to SHOP and I had wanted to shop in comfort, so being the 52 year old woman that I am, I had worn some Born sandals. Now - Borns are great shoes, and not only that - they're EXPENSIVE shoes (I say that as a nod to Dallas fashionistas) - but they aren't glamorous at all. They're more Portlandia looking than Dallas looking if that makes sense. Not that I care one whit one way or the other.

But what I do know - I'm from East Texas.

Anyway, when the shoe salesman came out from the back, he had two boxes with him - the shoes I was about to purchase and some other ones as well. He said, "Honey, don't you have at least four more hours of shopping to do today?" "Yes," I said, "I've just started!" "Well," he said, "Honey, take those ugly shoes you've got on off your cute little feet and put these on." He handed me the second box and inside were some very blingy, but I admit very cute, wedge sandals in black and gold (just happened to match what I had on!). "I do like those," I said, "But I've got on good shopping shoes already."

He looked at me SO SERIOUSLY for a moment or two and then he patted me on the knee and said, "But you're in Dallas." As if that explained everything.

The crazy thing is - I bought those shoes and now I wear them nearly every time I go shopping! And he was right to some extent - generally speaking, Dallas women DO "doll up" a bit more than average just to hang around, go shopping, run errands, etc. It's funny, actually. But also fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 08:24 AM

5,286 posts, read 4,157,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post

San Antonio:

-has a boring, ugly skyline
This one's not really a myth or misconception though. It's really just an opinion. One that I have to say I share. I'm not really fond of any of the Texas skylines though.

Quote:
El Paso:

-not "truly" Texan. Belongs in New Mexico
Can't really blame someone for feeling this way. El Paso is right on the New Mexico border and is culturally more akin to that state.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:09 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,750,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
This one's not really a myth or misconception though. It's really just an opinion. One that I have to say I share. I'm not really fond of any of the Texas skylines though.
Well, it is all in the eye of the beholder, so to speak. It's just that most people's reasoning for saying that (about SA's skyline) usually has more to do with the fact that SA has no super-tall skyscrapers, the way the other big Texas cities do. However, there are some nice older buildings that pre-date the whole sleek, modern mirrored glass aesthetic, and unless height is everything to someone, there is beauty to be seen in SA's skyline. From a street-level perspective, I would say downtown SA has the prettiest downtown in all of Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Can't really blame someone for feeling this way. El Paso is right on the New Mexico border and is culturally more akin to that state.
Yes, but it is still part of Texas. I mean, the Beaumont-Port Arthur-Orange metro is right on the border with Louisiana, and shares a LOT in common culturally with Louisiana. Perhaps even more so than Texas... but you never hear people saying it "belongs in Louisiana instead of Texas". I have a couple of friends who grew up in El Paso, and they resent being discounted in this manner. Texas has a ton of variation in it's culture, weather, topography, etc. El Paso (and the Trans-Pecos) is just another slice of the pie. Just as much Texan, in my eyes at least, as Dallas, Houston, or Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.