Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 01:44 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Our entire state is Detroit and Detroit is all a rusting ghetto.

Truth: Detroit covers something like 0.001% of the land area in Michigan. Most of Michigan is rural farm country in the southern tier and forests in the northern tier, with many recreational inland lakes throughout the entire state, and is actually a very beautiful, natural state. The Great Lakes are amazing!

Detroit is not all ghetto and has some amazing architecture, a beautiful riverfront with the busiest international border crossing in the U.S., and many amenities.

Michigan is full of safe, prosperous, quaint, small towns, one of which I live in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right To Life View Post
nah, everybody knows Michigan is a pretty state. I'm from SC and I knew that.
I think I am going to go with Canudigit on this. Maybe a lot of us geography buffs here on City-Data have a good idea what Michigan is like but I do not think that the general public outside of the Great Lakes area does. Michigan has a long and truly magnificent coastline as well as huge areas of northern forests but I think most people when they hear the word "Michigan" think Detroit. Its really ashame and that is why the Pure Michigan ads were such a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 01:47 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I think I am going to go with Canudigit on this. Maybe a lot of us geography buffs here on City-Data have a good idea what Michigan is like but I do not think that the general public outside of the Great Lakes area does. Michigan has a long and truly magnificent coastline as well as huge areas of northern forests but I think most people when they hear the word "Michigan" think Detroit. Its really ashame and that is why the Pure Michigan ads were such a good idea.
Totally agree on this. Michigan did a nice marketing job with "Pure Michigan," also agreed.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:20 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
There is nothing to see or do in Maryland. Forget that it is one of the richest and most densely populated states with mountains, beaches and everything in between. It is still an empty zone between Pennsylvania and Virginia. LOL

Old 08-08-2014, 03:09 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,091,136 times
Common myths and misconceptions about Minnesota that I personally hear often:
  • It's always cold there (even in the summer)
  • Minnesotans must just absolutely love Michele Bachmann [/dry heave]
  • Everyone has a cartoonish Minnesotan accent like the characters from the movies Fargo or Drop Dead Gorgeous
  • People of color don't exist there
  • We're all svensk and norsk, ja
  • The entire state is pancake-flat, agricultural, and completely featureless
  • Minneapolis and St. Paul are separated by the Mississippi River (the river actually flows through each city)

Old 08-08-2014, 03:15 PM

302 posts, read 368,808 times
New York is full of rude people , too crowded , noisy , too many buildings and expensive - THE WHOLE STATE - never mind the beaches on Long Island or the Catskills mountains or Niagara falls or our farms, forests , lakes etc. .

Old 08-08-2014, 04:29 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,399,652 times
Not necessarily a problem for all of Virginia but people seem to think people in Northern Virginia are "stuck up" and think "they're better" and it's definitely not true. People are super friendly and outgoing here, just because there's a few stuck up people doesn't mean everyone here is.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:16 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,402,360 times
A lot of people in NoVA feel like their neck of the woods is better than Suburban Maryland....

Old 08-08-2014, 05:21 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,402,360 times
A lot of people(mostly from the South) refuse to accept Maryland as a Southern State....

Old 08-08-2014, 06:12 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,739,613 times
New Mexico -
+Everybody speaks Spanish
+More than 80% of the populace is of Mexican decent.
+There are no black people
+Lots of pools and palm trees
+We're an easy drive to Cancun and Cozumel

Old 08-08-2014, 06:16 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,739,613 times
Maryland -
+Mostly suburban sprawl
+DC and its suburbs comprise the only significant metro in the state
+Everyone works for the government
+Baltimore is one big ghetto
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.