U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 12:58 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,833,533 times

Advertisements

The music scene in Pittsburgh sucks. Unless you love country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 02:01 AM

998 posts, read 885,302 times
Richmond

Old 08-09-2014, 06:42 AM

9,869 posts, read 21,161,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I think Louisville is a better choice than Lexington. I associate Lexington with students or the high end horsey crowd. It may well have an artsy scene but the OP could do better.

The NC and SC cities may be good choices. Curious why you named Huntsville? I associate it with families and scientists.
I've split the past 20 years between both. Lexington does have an artsy scene and some liberal neighborhoods. But it is a much newer constructed city than Louisville and has less nice urban neighborhoods to choose from, especially ones not overran with college students. But then again having so many students can be a plus too. Even the areas near the Univ. of Louisville are probably no more than 40% student in population. Louisville has a region of the city that is urban, liberal, and walkable with lots of local restaurants and great urban parks. The population of Louisville's artsy area is probably over 75,000 by itself.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:48 AM

21,209 posts, read 30,427,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsene View Post
Thanks! I'm in web design currently but do painting/illustration on the side, which I'd prefer to do. I don't do much contemporary/abstract art, more lowbrow stuff. I've sold at anime/comic conventions before.
My husband has experience with restaurants/cooking (was a line cook for several years) but now he does social media/booking for music venues. He's also a musician and heavily into the music scene. We both love food.

As for climate I want to avoid several months of snow (we are in southern NE now). As for size, bigger than where we are now both population-wise and area-wise - 130k people here in 20 sq miles with mostly suburbs around us. But, nothing too huge. I've been to NYC many times and it's overwhelming. I like some nature within reasonable distance.

I have a friend in Louisville, KY who has been trying to get me to move there.
Check out the Durham/Chapel Hill/Carrboro area in NC. It hits your criteria quite well with a very sizable art community, a geographically diverse population not lukewarm to transplants, excellent work opportunity for both of you and a nationally known/well-established music scene. The food scene is outstanding as well and is often written up in varying publications.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:10 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,548,135 times
Please STOP mentioning Louisville!
It sucks there !! People are meanies, the rents are sky high and the only 'music' anywhere in the city is Justin Beiber/Boyance karaoke nites. Nothing to see here, keep it moving . . .
stay. away.

Old 08-09-2014, 01:08 PM

2,753 posts, read 1,717,049 times
Quote:
Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I see a lot of mention of cities in the south. I am a bit skeptical of being a northerner and moving to the south and fitting in, though. Maybe it's just preconceived conceptions?
Yes.

Old 08-09-2014, 01:40 PM

15 posts, read 16,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Please STOP mentioning Louisville!
It sucks there !! People are meanies, the rents are sky high and the only 'music' anywhere in the city is Justin Beiber/Boyance karaoke nites. Nothing to see here, keep it moving . . .
stay. away.
How is the rent sky high? Keep in mind I am coming from CT, where the rent is $1000 for a 2-br in a crummier part of town. I see the same kind of apartment on craigslist louisville for $600. To me, that is not sky high, it is amazingly affordable, and one of the reasons I am considering it.
Sorry to hear about your experiences with the other issues though. I'm used to a city that has at least some original bands and stays open pretty late - is Louisville not like that? (I know pittsburgh isn't, been there several times and the city dies at like 6-7pm. So freaky.)

Old 08-09-2014, 02:08 PM

6,319 posts, read 6,985,853 times
^I think that was sarcasm. Sounds like a local that does NOT want new people to move there.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:29 PM

56,747 posts, read 81,061,259 times
Quote:
How is the rent sky high? Keep in mind I am coming from CT, where the rent is $1000 for a 2-br in a crummier part of town. I see the same kind of apartment on craigslist louisville for $600. To me, that is not sky high, it is amazingly affordable, and one of the reasons I am considering it.
Sorry to hear about your experiences with the other issues though. I'm used to a city that has at least some original bands and stays open pretty late - is Louisville not like that? (I know pittsburgh isn't, been there several times and the city dies at like 6-7pm. So freaky.)
I wonder with Pittsburgh, like some other cities, if it is a matter of certain neighborhoods having what you are looking for versus looking at just Downtown?

Old 08-09-2014, 02:41 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,548,135 times
Quote:
I should have used a smilie. Im one of those people who are deathly afraid that when the secret of Louisville gets out, it will be ruined or "improved" by out-of-town investors and mall people. Really, I love Louisville! Not great at any one thing, but soooo good in a whole bunch of stuff. Louisville has music, food an all around great vibe and quality of life factor if everything works out for you like it did, us.
If you visit and hit all the spots you read about in the Louisville forum, you probably wont want to leave
Again, sorry for confusion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or