U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-25-2017, 09:47 AM
 
Location: Northeast
227 posts, read 143,335 times
Reputation: 352

Advertisements

Depends on what definition of "white" you're using.

Even though most Egyptians have some varying degrees of Sub-Saharan African DNA, they're automatically considered "white" in the U.S. to the point of leading to controversies such as this:
Egyptian Immigrant Wants to be Reclassified as Black | TIME.com

A lot of Americans have trouble grasping that "Hispanics", "Arabs/Middle Easterners", and "Asians" aren't races but rather nomenclature terms pertaining to regions and cultures.

Hispanics in the U.S. are generally too diverse to put into a singular box. You have white Hispanics but you also have mestizo, mulatto, tri-racial, Amerindian, Afro/black, and even some Asian Hispanics.(I met a Paraguayan girl with Japanese ancestry the other day.)

I live in the Tri-State area which arguably has the most diverse range of Hispanics in the U.S.

It ultimately boils down to identitity and whether Americans(including those of a Hispanic background) are fine with having a "white" identity forged on them just like with Arabs/Middle Easterners.

Many Hispanics that are nonwhite are labeled "white" on the census for a variety of reasons including confusion. For instance, a mestizo or Amerindian Latino may think that the Native American box only refers to those of the U.S. variety such as Cherokees and feel it doesn't apply to them. Also, not all census forms contain an option for "Some other race" which also adds to the confusion.

Did you know 60% of Bolivians are considered "white" in the U.S. for instance? Personally, I never met a single Bolivian who was even castizo, never mind "white." Most Bolivians in the U.S. are indo-mestizo or straight up Amerindian, despite being classified as "white."

I also know saw a poster for a mulatta/Creole looking Hispanic girl who was labeled "white" on the poster. I'm sure she does have European ancestry but she looks more ethnic than Halle Berry.

Now, in the U.S., you will find plenty of white Cubans, Argentinians, Colombians, Venezuelans, Chileans, and Uruguayans as well as a sizable minority of Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Costa Ricans, etc. However, I can tell you from personal experience and observations that white Dominicans, Peruvians, Ecuadorians, Guatemalans, Salvadorans, Bolivians, Panamanians, Hondurans, and Nicaraguans in the U.S. are pretty rare, despite the fact that "whites" apparently account for more than 30% of each group's population, according to the census.

I honestly think it'd be a stretch to say that even more than 15% of the said latter groups' population in the U.S. is "white." I mean...seriously, is there anywhere in the U.S. where 1 in 3 Dominicans I meet are predominately European or more than 40% of Ecuadorians and Guatemalans in the U.S. is "white" like the census says because it's clearly not the Tri-State area. That's for sure.

Even the "whiter" groups I've mentioned have plenty of nonwhites among them. I've met black and mulatto Cubans, tri-racial/Mestizo/black Colombians and Venezuelans, tri-racial and mulatto Puerto Ricans, mestizo and Amerindian Mexicans, mestizo and black Costa Ricans, and mestizo/Inca Chileans. Only Argentinians and Uruguayans in the U.S. have a genuine absence of nonwhites among them in the U.S.

But, like I said before, the U.S. is obsessed with using "whiteness" and "blackness" as political/cultural statements rather than actuality.

So, many Hispanics, regardless of their actual race, will probably be classified as "white" in the future as a testament to their assimilation process rather than their actual race.

Just like with Middle Easterners...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-13-2018, 04:50 PM
 
511 posts, read 340,170 times
Reputation: 961
Color is a poor way to identify yourself. "Blacks" gave it up, when will the "whites"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2018, 01:22 AM
 
Location: New Mexico
6,545 posts, read 3,653,233 times
Reputation: 12301
Unless they tell me otherwise or there is some obvious trait I have always mostly considered them “white” but with a strong cultural and linguistic heritage that was different from WASP Americans. Those heritage markers are changeable by choice where skin color isn’t. Many Hispanics consider themselves white and many don’t. I might have a broader definition of whiteness than others because I don’t see any wondrous aspects of skin pigmentation. We have a genetic package, that we have no choice in, that determines skin color along some sort of spectrum from pale white to nearly black. Somebody has arbitrarily divided the spectrum into color/racial divisions. As we have seen over time, those divisions expand or contract according to biases and personal preferences. That makes the issue fairly meaningless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 04:51 PM
 
5,322 posts, read 1,994,714 times
Reputation: 2983
Very few Hispanics in the US would be considered to be White by people of mostly to all European origin. Acceptance by the larger group is actually what matters when trying to parse whether or not a group can be classified as such in a practical sense. Most Hiapnics in the USA are Mestizo, pure Ameri-Indian, or a mix of African and Indian and sometimes European. None of these groups will be considered to be White by the larger White population on average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 04:55 PM
 
5,322 posts, read 1,994,714 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by More Rock View Post
Color is a poor way to identify yourself. "Blacks" gave it up, when will the "whites"?
Oh, man. Blacks so did not give it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2018, 01:14 AM
 
11,456 posts, read 6,568,506 times
Reputation: 6091
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Very few Hispanics in the US would be considered to be White by people of mostly to all European origin. Acceptance by the larger group is actually what matters when trying to parse whether or not a group can be classified as such in a practical sense. Most Hiapnics in the USA are Mestizo, pure Ameri-Indian, or a mix of African and Indian and sometimes European. None of these groups will be considered to be White by the larger White population on average.
I agree with most of what you're saying. The overwhelming majority of Hispanics in the US and most Latin America countries are not white. Also it seems like very few Hispanics in the US at least identify as white. Italians and Irish people are actually white which is why they were accepted into white society.

But there's nothing wrong with this for the most part, you do not need to be white to be succesful or to be part of mainstream American society. I know a lot of indigenous looking Ecuadorian and Peruvian people in nice suburban areas of New York and New Jersey and most if not all of them are doing well.

East Asians and Indians are 100% non European/white both racially and culturally, and they're the highest earning groupd in the US.

The one part of your post I disagree with ; I find that the European-African mix is pretty common among certain Hispanics (such as Dominicans), more so than the African-Native mix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2018, 01:18 AM
 
Location: Nashville TN, Cincinnati, OH
1,798 posts, read 1,160,209 times
Reputation: 2321
I consider Latinos white the ones that are have Spanish or have European ancestry and with same with Jews. If your skin tone is white I consider the person white. I don't buy into that Aryan argument of only European Christian Ango Saxon people can be white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2018, 01:22 AM
 
11,456 posts, read 6,568,506 times
Reputation: 6091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I consider Latinos white but the ones that are have Spanish or have European ancestry and with same with Jews. If your skin tone is white I consider the person white. I don't buy into that Aryan argument of only European Christian Ango Saxon people can be white.
Not even white supremacists follow that logic you mention. However, the overwhelming majority of Hispanics in the US have visible native or African ancestry which means they're not white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2018, 01:23 AM
 
Location: Nashville TN, Cincinnati, OH
1,798 posts, read 1,160,209 times
Reputation: 2321
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Not even white supremacists follow that logic you mention. However, the overwhelming majority of Hispanics in the US have visible native or African ancestry which means they're not white.
That is actually only half true most Latinos are mixed so you are only half correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2018, 01:29 AM
 
11,456 posts, read 6,568,506 times
Reputation: 6091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
That is actually only half true most Latinos are mixed so you are only half correct.
Mixed people in the US are not considered white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top