U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-25-2018, 11:54 AM
 
18 posts, read 7,724 times
Reputation: 82

Advertisements

Interesting topic. The truth is no one on this thread is correct. Everyone is just giving their opinion. The fact of the matter is that yes, myriad of immigrants have been assimilated into what is considered white American. Look at the Italians from a century ago. They’re a lot like Hispanics are today with darker features and exotic names. Time will tell and it takes a few generations to assimilate immigrants fully. There’s obviously going to be a lot more mixed people in the future and people in the present cannot accurately prognosticate what demographics will look like in 50 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-27-2018, 08:42 AM
 
Location: Northeast
227 posts, read 143,667 times
Reputation: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcmoney View Post
Interesting topic. The truth is no one on this thread is correct. Everyone is just giving their opinion. The fact of the matter is that yes, myriad of immigrants have been assimilated into what is considered white American. Look at the Italians from a century ago. They’re a lot like Hispanics are today with darker features and exotic names. Time will tell and it takes a few generations to assimilate immigrants fully. There’s obviously going to be a lot more mixed people in the future and people in the present cannot accurately prognosticate what demographics will look like in 50 years.
So, you're telling me a Multi-racial, Amerindian, Black, and Asian Latino can just become "white" after "assimilation?"

This actually begs the question: What is "assimilation?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2018, 09:11 AM
 
11,456 posts, read 6,578,118 times
Reputation: 6091
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
So, you're telling me a Multi-racial, Amerindian, Black, and Asian Latino can just become "white" after "assimilation?"

This actually begs the question: What is "assimilation?"
Of course not, so I'm really tired of hearing Hispanics compared to Italians in that regard. Irish, Italian, Polish, etc. are all white, meanwhile most Hispanics are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2018, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,853 posts, read 2,980,597 times
Reputation: 3399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
If someone doesn't look white then they aren't white. Their genetics could say something else but our eyes don't see their genetics.

I know George Lopez on his show did one of those DNA tests and he is more than 50% European. I believe that sure given Latin Americas long European colonization but people like him should say mixed or something.
um ok, if you say so lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2018, 11:00 AM
 
2,004 posts, read 1,017,298 times
Reputation: 2667
https://www.census.gov/topics/popula...ace/about.html

Hispanics are considered white, by the US government. I don't know how there can be any more debate on this, as it's just people interjecting what they believe, or want, and it kind of is what it is...they're white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2018, 10:45 PM
 
Location: Northeast
227 posts, read 143,667 times
Reputation: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
https://www.census.gov/topics/popula...ace/about.html

Hispanics are considered white, by the US government. I don't know how there can be any more debate on this, as it's just people interjecting what they believe, or want, and it kind of is what it is...they're white.
This is misleading. Hispanics are not automatically considered white. It's voluntary and many who are classified as "white" don't identify as such.

There's still plenty who identify as "Some other race", "Native American", "Black", "Two or more Races", and "Asian."

Where I live, over 2% of Hispanics are classified as black and the number is actually higher. The same is especially true for Indigenous types. Indigenous Latinos are probably the most undercounted Hispanics in the U.S. for a variety of reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2018, 11:37 PM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
7,820 posts, read 12,324,125 times
Reputation: 4768
No. Physically MOST of them don't look white to me. And many are darker than Italians. And btw Italian Americans are darker than the average Italian from Italy because most of them trace their roots to Sicily/southern Italy while northern Italians are more light skinned and have lighter hair. Likewise I also don't see Middle Easterners as white even though they're technically white based on the census definition.

Culturally Hispanics are coming at such a high rate that they're not assimilating into American culture. There's a large enough Hispanic population that they keep to themselves vs assimilate like the Italians, Germans and Irish have done. I've met second and third generation HIspanics who still talk with a Mexican accent and don't sound American.

However, Cuban Americans can pass as white if they speak American English without a Cuban accent, and someone who is mestizo mixed with white can pass for white especially if they are culturally American.

I think Asians are more likely to be assimilated into American society before Hispanics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2018, 03:12 AM
 
11,456 posts, read 6,578,118 times
Reputation: 6091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
No. Physically MOST of them don't look white to me. And many are darker than Italians. And btw Italian Americans are darker than the average Italian from Italy because most of them trace their roots to Sicily/southern Italy while northern Italians are more light skinned and have lighter hair. Likewise I also don't see Middle Easterners as white even though they're technically white based on the census definition.

Culturally Hispanics are coming at such a high rate that they're not assimilating into American culture. There's a large enough Hispanic population that they keep to themselves vs assimilate like the Italians, Germans and Irish have done. I've met second and third generation HIspanics who still talk with a Mexican accent and don't sound American.

However, Cuban Americans can pass as white if they speak American English without a Cuban accent, and someone who is mestizo mixed with white can pass for white especially if they are culturally American.

I think Asians are more likely to be assimilated into American society before Hispanics.
Okay I agree that Hispanics are largely not considered white nor consider themselves white, but this post is a little Uncle Wongish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2018, 07:30 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
6,060 posts, read 3,383,155 times
Reputation: 7710
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Everyone of wholly European ancestry is considered to be white, which includes Ashkenazi Jews, but not most Latinos.
How "whole" is "wholly?" Is there a massive difference between 99%, 90% or 85% European? And why doesn't this apply with black people and being "wholly black"? I ask because I am 86% European (Cuban-American) and have gone all 24 years of my life identifying as "white" racially. Now I have to change it because its in the double digit range?


One of my old coworker from when I lived in Texas, her sister got a DNA test (full sister btw) and got 98% white and 2% black. I guess she's not white either because that 2% lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2018, 10:41 PM
 
11,456 posts, read 6,578,118 times
Reputation: 6091
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
How "whole" is "wholly?" Is there a massive difference between 99%, 90% or 85% European? And why doesn't this apply with black people and being "wholly black"? I ask because I am 86% European (Cuban-American) and have gone all 24 years of my life identifying as "white" racially. Now I have to change it because its in the double digit range?


One of my old coworker from when I lived in Texas, her sister got a DNA test (full sister btw) and got 98% white and 2% black. I guess she's not white either because that 2% lol.
Personally, I think that if you look and act white, you will be perceived as white. If you're 5% nonwhite then you will probably look completely white still, but at 25% it's a much different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top