U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-10-2014, 09:04 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA (Morningside)
12,436 posts, read 11,937,287 times
Reputation: 10542

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
As someone who lives in an area with many Hispanics, the above is not exactly true. For one thing, most Hispanics have Spanish surnames. It is much less common for a Hispanic woman to marry an Anglo man (and lose her Spanish surname ) than vice versa. In addition, many if not most Hispanic men marry Hispanic women. For another, most Hispanics have black hair, brown eyes and darker skin tone than Anglos. Most maintain some Spanish skill. As an FYI, you can't be 70% of any ancestry. The denominator has to be 2, 4, 8, 16, etc, e.g. 3/4 or 75%.
1. You can look at stats on interracial marriage here. 43% of all "interracial" marriages are Latino/White. Asians are slightly more likely to outmarry, but given there are a lot less Asians than Latinos, they comprise a much smaller proportion of interracial marriages in total. They also find there's basically no difference in terms of the likelihood of Latino men or women to marry out.

2. I was referring to the percentage of someone's DNA which modern genetic tests can peg to a geographic origin, which is something entirely different from genealogical ancestry. To give one example, while it is true that if you took a child of someone from Sweden and Senegal they would be both genealogically and genetically 50/50, given genes recombine while their kids would be (genealogically speaking) a quarter of each if they married someone Chinese, in reality they could inherit more African or European DNA depending upon chance. It would quite likely be close to 25%, but not exactly. In addition, people have been mixing in Latin America for 500 years now. So it's totally possible to have someone with around 70% of their DNA attributable to Europe.

3. Maybe it's just where I grew up on the East Coast, but I look at black hair and brown eyes to be totally normal for white people. Could be Italian, Greek, Lebanese, Portuguese, etc. Indeed, I remember in college I had a friend who dated a girl with an Irish name but a rather dark complexion. Thought it was a bit odd, but whatever. I later found out she was an international adoption, and was born in Colombia. She spoke not a lick of Spanish and had no accent of course. I just wasn't able to *see* here as Latino given she had absolutely none of the social signifiers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-10-2014, 09:16 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 22 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,014 posts, read 102,634,943 times
Reputation: 33082
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
1. You can look at stats on interracial marriage here. 43% of all "interracial" marriages are Latino/White. Asians are slightly more likely to outmarry, but given there are a lot less Asians than Latinos, they comprise a much smaller proportion of interracial marriages in total. They also find there's basically no difference in terms of the likelihood of Latino men or women to marry out.

2. I was referring to the percentage of someone's DNA which modern genetic tests can peg to a geographic origin, which is something entirely different from genealogical ancestry. To give one example, while it is true that if you took a child of someone from Sweden and Senegal they would be both genealogically and genetically 50/50, given genes recombine while their kids would be (genealogically speaking) a quarter of each if they married someone Chinese, in reality they could inherit more African or European DNA depending upon chance. It would quite likely be close to 25%, but not exactly. In addition, people have been mixing in Latin America for 500 years now. So it's totally possible to have someone with around 70% of their DNA attributable to Europe.

3. Maybe it's just where I grew up on the East Coast, but I look at black hair and brown eyes to be totally normal for white people. Could be Italian, Greek, Lebanese, Portuguese, etc. Indeed, I remember in college I had a friend who dated a girl with an Irish name but a rather dark complexion. Thought it was a bit odd, but whatever. I later found out she was an international adoption, and was born in Colombia. She spoke not a lick of Spanish and had no accent of course. I just wasn't able to *see* here as Latino given she had absolutely none of the social signifiers.
1. Just because 43% of inter-racial marriages are white-Hispanic, that doesn't mean that 43% of Hispanics marry whites. Those are two different statements.

2. Well, it's complicated, but I still don't think it's possible.

3. Most of the Hispanics here in CO are from Mexico. I don't like to talk about people as "they", so I'll leave it at that.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 08-10-2014 at 09:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2014, 12:10 PM
 
96 posts, read 213,281 times
Reputation: 193
The majority of Latinos that I've known looked along the lines of Mario Lopez; Mario Lopez does not look white to me.

Unless the person looks distinctly white, or distinctly black, I would place the person in their own category if I had to (most likely as mixed and/or indigenous).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2014, 12:34 PM
 
7,846 posts, read 5,292,068 times
Reputation: 4025
Hispanic isn't a race.



One can be Black, White, Asian, or Meztizo and be "Hispanic."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2014, 06:56 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Long Island / NYC
45,990 posts, read 41,998,698 times
Reputation: 14810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
In addition, many if not most Hispanic men marry Hispanic women. For another, most Hispanics have black hair, brown eyes and darker skin tone than Anglos. Most maintain some Spanish skill.
Plenty of non-hispanics have black hair and brown eyes, though usually not as dark of a skin tone.

Edit: Two Colorado congressmen, brothers Kenneth and John Salazar are hispanic but don't look dark complexioned.

Quote:
Generally the children of such couples are simply considered Hispanic.
That's not my experience, but it depends on the situation.

Last edited by nei; 08-12-2014 at 02:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2014, 03:10 PM
 
1,554 posts, read 1,473,136 times
Reputation: 470
Yes, on census forms most Hispanics are defaulted as racially white, but in society & in public, Hispanics are treated as an other, especially if they look, black, mixed race, ambiguous etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2014, 03:12 PM
 
1,554 posts, read 1,473,136 times
Reputation: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Hispanic isn't a race.



One can be Black, White, Asian, or Meztizo and be "Hispanic."


True. In addition, they can be mulatto as well too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2014, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
6,061 posts, read 3,392,125 times
Reputation: 7710
I find it annoying when people say "Hispanic" when they mean "Mestizo."

There's tons of different Spanish speaking countries and people from each of those countries vary in ethnic backgrounds. Some have mixed European and Indigenous, some have mixed European and African, some are pure European, pure Indigenous, pure African, pure Middle Eastern, pure Asian. Basically, anything.

People are a bit uneducated as to the variety you can find in certain nationalities. I'm Cuban and my ancestry is, as far as I've traced, a mix of Canarian Spanish, Galician, Portuguese, French, Indian (from the real India, not the Columbus version of India) Italian and German (a bit distantly) and that's just my mom's side. I was born with blond hair and brown eyes, and my brother with blond hair and green eyes. My hair is a dark brown now though. I got family members that are part Jewish Middle Eastern and French. Others that are part Chinese and African. One of my great grandparents is blond and blue eyed. His son, my uncle, is part Indian and French from the maternal side, and his skin is dark and hair curly. His eyes are as blue as the sea. My father's side is all green eyed. My mother dated a Cuban man with blue eyes and blond hair, and his son has the blondest most golden looking hair.

I saw a redheaded man with pale skin and freckles, looks like your typical Irish ginger. He spoke Spanish in a fast speaking Cuban accent. I've seen lots of natural blond Cubans, but a redhead was definitely something I hadn't really seen. But it shows just how much diversity are among Hispanics. And that's just ONE nationality. Combine all the other countries and it's too much to generalise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2014, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Colorado
1,524 posts, read 2,264,566 times
Reputation: 2168
No, the vast majority of Hispanics who live in the US aren't considered white. On the census they mark themselves however because of the vagueness of categories, but in common culture they are simply called Hispanic or Latino, regardless if they terms are accurate or not. White almost always means people from Europe, especially the original northwest European settlers. White very rarely is used to refer to someone who is mixed, like most Hispanics. This is why most people don't call Obama white. Even when people such as middle easterners and Latinos are "white" on the census, they are not recognized as "white" as the term is commonly understood in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2014, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA (Morningside)
12,436 posts, read 11,937,287 times
Reputation: 10542
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Even when people such as middle easterners and Latinos are "white" on the census, they are not recognized as "white" as the term is commonly understood in the US.
Middle Easterners are seen as white in the U.S. quite often.



Turkish



Arab



Arab



Half-Arab
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top