U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 04:21 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,252,873 times

Advertisements

My Big Fat Greek Weeding - Dry As Toast - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 09:26 PM

2,536 posts, read 2,027,970 times
Most Latinos in the U.S. use the Latin American standard for whiteness. That is to say, that unless you're as dark as Shaka Zulu, you can claim to be "white."

Whiteness in the U.S. is a bit more rigid. Honestly, most Latinos to me are bi-racial or tri-racial just based on appearance. Outside of some super white Cubans, I can almost always tell that you're Hispanic based on appearance or speech. Unlike many "white" Americans that claim Native American ancestry, Latinos actually LOOK like a blend of European and Native American phenotypes.

Non-Hispanic whites in the U.S. are of overwhelmingly Northern European stock....from extremely fair-skinned people in England, Scotland and Ireland. Anytime you are "white" but can tan reasonably well....the questions arise.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:47 AM

589 posts, read 618,235 times
no i would just call them Mexican or Spanish, which ever they identify as

Old 11-13-2014, 07:00 AM

1,833 posts, read 1,812,689 times
No

Old 05-21-2016, 05:05 PM

1 posts, read 772 times
Default Finally figuring out this Hispanic thing

I now consider myself Native Californian and will start writing that in when asked for race. This whole Hispanic thing drives me crazy and I refuse to associate myself with that term. It is almost used now for preferential treatment. Plus, Spanish speaking/recently in US "Hispanics" and Americans with "Hispanic" heritage are like night and day, really no common upbringing. As far as I am concerned, prefer the term we are all human beings. I see everyone as a living entity who has the privilege of living and experiencing life.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:56 PM

473 posts, read 359,125 times
There's a good book on this topic: How the Jews Became White Folks and What That Says About Race in America

Short answer: It's inevitable.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:23 PM

21 posts, read 14,976 times
Hispanics can vary wildly in appearance. I've met some who have a strong native phenotype, and others who are paler than Irish-Americans. Although US and Latin America have a world of differences, a similar issue with income disparity between races can be seen. From what I've gathered speaking to Latin Americans, "white" hispanics tend to be better off than "native" hispanics.

A lot of hispanics that come to the US are poorer Central Americans and Mexicans, and usually have more "native" features, going off the aforementioned income disparity.

It's a cliche, but hispanics truly cover every point on the spectrum. Some regions in Brazil and Argentina almost look like Germany. Africa and Japan both have large diaspora across Brazil. Think of any phenotype and you can probably find it SOMEWHERE in Latin America.

The US has had a knack for assimilating different groups into the "white american" category, but those groups were European or part of the larger "Caucasian" region. Maybe we have hindsight bias, but it's pretty easy to see Russian, Irish, Greek, Lebanese, and Italian-Americans as 'white'. Hispanics are a bit different. Although many have varying levels of European admixture, it is a wildly diverse group and thus difficult to fit into one group.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:17 AM

3,618 posts, read 1,567,437 times
I would say it happens over time

Old 05-22-2016, 08:34 AM

6,821 posts, read 3,869,983 times
Culture and English proficiency play an increasingly bigger role than skin color.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:08 PM

6,061 posts, read 3,388,244 times
I'm posting here because I got a reputation on a post I made in 2014 where I mentioned what my ancestry was from what I knew and its kinda interesting to what I actually found out. The "Indian" was a mystery in my family because some family members said it was Native American others said "no its South Asian Indian" well I got a DNA test that pointed to 1% Native American but none for South Asian Indian. Also what I thought was French and German is actually Dutch and its not that distant at all because I got 23% of it and I'm Dutch from both my mom's parents. I was right about Spanish, Portuguese and Italian, though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.